January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. Truely... truely

TO ALL WHO SAY: "who cares, so what, big deal, how is this news?," and any other negative comments that is made...Hey come on, admit it ,you are just as fascinated with this family as the rest of us who love them. If it ain't so, then why are you constantly looking, searching, reading and responding with your comments as if it's going to change what is and what will be....YOUR NEXT PRESIDENT!!!!! You have an addiction/attraction to PE Obama. In the 12 step turn-around phase, you must first admitt to your addiction before you can get any help! It's like craving and eating to many sweets, yet saying you hate it. See..really deep down inside your sub-conscience you really love it. But you can trust me, I promise I won't tell anybody that you secretly love the Obamas and that's why you are always here with the rest of us... lol...lol...smile and show someone some kindness today. Love Ya !

January 5, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. Cookie

Sidwell, wow a private Quaker school..way to tie back to your african-Aamerican roots!!

January 5, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Michele

Given the high profile of these children, I don't think an expensive motorcade is a waste of money. It'll probably scale back once he's been sworn into office. The Obamas need to all they can to protect their children due to the times we live in. They have a right to keep them safe and secure at all costs. If no one likes this arrangement then they shouldn't have voted him in and his girls would still be back in Chicago.

January 5, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. dave

As I recall,it was Palin who made her grand entrance at the Rep Convention-LOADED with a long list of derogetory,high handed "jokes" about Obama&Biden.And,the Rep ticket took it like a starving dog salivates at the smell of meat.This is in response to Richard Rohde's e-mail remark. The election is over.Move up to Alaska if you think it would help the Palins!

January 5, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Paul from NYC

'Children go to school' isn't exactly political news.

January 5, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. NJDem

I don't see a picture of my child attending his first day of school..............Oh that's right my name is not Obama...........

January 5, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  7. Stacy from Leesburg VA

It is not a slow news day, why do this to the Obama kids? They are going to school, that is what little kids are supposed to do.

January 5, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. To Baze

Baze - You cared enough to leave a comment, didn't you?

If you truly don't care, don't write anything. Is that so difficult?

January 5, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Jessica

Who cares? I hope the Obamas are enjoying their $4000 a night hotel stay for the next 14 days while millions of Americans are wondering how their going to keep their homes.

January 5, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. MirCat

Wow! Children are going to school????? That's so crazy and news worthy!!!

January 5, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. max (NY)

To Base- Crazy wacko-This is no change- Leigh- and the like.

The saddest thing about Obama is that he doesn't has a son that would grow up and rise like his father and give America a second scoop of happiness. This would certainly infuriate those of you who, for no reason, express hatred for Obama, although Obama has not done anything bad to nobody. And it really touches me to see that some people resent him, and I wonder why? Is it because he is black, or is it because he is smart, smarter than them? Now let's analyze the fact, why is Obama considered black when his parents are black and white? I guess it's because of his skin color. But even when his skin color would be white, he would still be considered black for the fact that his father is black. So what does that lead to conclude; that in nature, in logics, in reality, and in your minds, the black gene and race is stronger and imperishable and prevails. And I can't understand why at this late and final era of the existance of humanity, people are still animated with racial discrimination? Let me ask this last question, if you are drowning and there is only one black person around to rescue you, would you rather die than to be saved by a black person? If your answer is yes, then I hope there is hell for blacks and a hell for whites.

January 5, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Mary from Sarasota FL

This is news because most of the nation is watching how the 1st family conducts themselves as they enter the arena. Its already started. some of the people on this post have begun to raise the gate on the lions. Sad really sad. Why can't we all just get along.
    look at Gaza. What a waste of time and energy for certain people to fret and fuss and actually attack other people because they think they are better than them. sad. please.

January 5, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Kana

So what? Other than being the Obama daughters this is a non-news event, other than to create a sensationalized media event. Children in the US go to school every day. The press needs to back off and leave the kids alone.

January 5, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  14. Skiwee

I hope, seperated by campuses for a year or two, won't result in any form of anxiety for Malia and Sasha. I'd imagine the different locations was a topic of discussion in the household and no doubt both parents worked very hard to dispel any fears.

January 5, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. Nija

You girls are beautiful and I am proud of your Parents.

January 5, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  16. athonia

This going to be great for the country to see president that can unite the country, and family that can be seen as role model for so many people

January 5, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. GET Over IT!!!!

@Leigh January 5th, 2009 9:48 am ET
    Maybe you should enroll with Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus ***you are SOOOOO elementary*****

January 5, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  18. Mike in NYC

And then there's public school for the regular folks....

January 5, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. does it really matter anyway

UH....how does sending your children to school on the day school starts back make Michelle and Barack "real role models for the nation" exactly???

Cuz, my 3 kids got up today, I cooked them breakfast, packed their lunch, zipped up their jackets, put on their gloves and scarves, kissed them each and drove them to school also.....SO does that mean I'm up for some award or a ROLE MODEL????

NO it simply means I'm being a PARENT, just like the Obamas, so this kind of talk is simply ignorant.

BIG Deal....SO THEY WENT TO SCHOOL TODAY......BREAKING POLITICAL NEWS, HUH?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

January 5, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  20. IndyVoter

You know what? News doesn't have to be sensational or negative or pertinent to any one individual to be considered news. News just means that its relatively "new" or just happened(ing). That's all. Some people really like the Obamas and are wishing their family well as the children go off to school. Perhaps if your children were being featured and you received well wishes from everyone for them, you wouldn't have a problem with the story. But since its the Obama's children and some don't like the Obamas, then its, "so what?" or "Who Cares?". How about sharing in someone else's good times or even their bad times by wishing them well, no matter how insignificant you might think something is. Try doing/saying something positive toward someone else even if you aren't getting anything in return. Wow, what a novel idea?

January 5, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  21. paula Wesley

Sidwell Friends is an excellent school. The students are happy there. The Quakers have always been a just and righteous group of people. They stress truthfullness

January 5, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Brian

Malia and Sasha are two very lucky young women! :)

They are about to begin the best education of their lives. :D

January 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  23. Dekonti

Leigh – They're the children of your president-elect. Thank God these are not pictures of them smoking dope. Maybe such a story would intrigue you.

Enjoy the next four years!!!!

January 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  24. Franky

"The plan will include about $300 billion in tax cuts for individuals and businesses, an aide to the transition told CNN. Obama has not publicly put a price tag on his overall stimulus plan, though his advisers have said they expect it to fall between $675 billion and $775 billion, 40% of which would be in tax cuts."

Whoa, whoa, let me get this straight...300 billion tax cuts?? So, I don't wanna sound cruel but if those tax cuts are right, people better start spending money. And also a tax cut for businesses?? If this is correct, then businesses better start spending and thriving. Let me explain to you the fallout of all this...

You gotta understand that people are not spending is because of confidence, right? You do understand that in order to see some balance in this, we gotta try and make up everything(or at least try) we lost, right? Let alone people don't really have enough money for themselves, and here we are expecting people to waste their money just because they can an extra $1,000 or so. If gas is at $1. 60 or so, what the HELL makes you think businesses and people will start spending as much as we did 4-6 months ago when gas was at an all time high??

Tax cust are good and as a matter of fact, it saves you money BUT we studied tax cust and analyzed former Presidents from the past(most noticeably GOP) who cut taxes for as much as one decade at one time. And I'm telling you right now, tax cuts are good for the short term like 2-4 years or so or less but tax cuts are not good for profit and so forth, why? Let alone we are wasting a lot of money but we are not wasting is that debt...we need some compensation, trust me, I know.

All I'm saying is I better see good numbers and hopefully when my boy gets sworn in, people will waste and produce but if they don't, I'm not gonna be mad because we didn't get nothing done, but I will be upset because we didn't get some compensation. I know, I know, we are not gonna get back our debt but the least we can do is get back on our goals and strategy.

January 5, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  25. deb0155

And, how is this news! Big deal – the Obama girls are going to one of the most elite schools in the country. Give me a break! If you want a real story – go into the inner cities and photograph the conditions those children go to school in!

January 5, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |