January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. obama-mama

All the negative clowns on here just love it when there is bad news. This tells a whole lot about them. Miserable, lonely and hateful. They have a constant need for bickering and bad news.

January 5, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Emily

I am grateful to the Obama family for being flexible enough to take up their roots and move into a whole new life in order to take charge of our country at this time of economic chaos. That is a very difficult thing to do for young children, leaving their friends behind in the midst of a school year. I appreciate the example for all families that they are giving.

January 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Dexter

Ask John McCain where his Secret Service Detail is, he'll tell you that he doesn't have one.

That's reality folks, just like the President, the President-Elect's family gets a Secret Service Detail to ensure that the President of the United States remains the President of the United States. President-Elect Obams's place in history is secured, as are his children.

Get over it folks. We wish the family all of the best. Just Ignore the Bigot-Americans among us...

January 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Spence

I wish the best for Malia and Sasha. They have expectations to live up to. I believe they will represent the White House in a tremendous fashion. Michelle Obama is the epitome of all great mothers in this nation. I pray Barack Obama gets time to dedicate to his daughters. He's an inspiration to all fathers.

January 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Dexter

Get over it folks. We wish the family all of the best. Just Ignore the Bigoted-Americans among us...

January 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Lynn in NM

Gee, this is something that military children do every day. They change schools, sometimes annually, sometimes more than once a year. No one, except another military family, cares about that. If the Obamas didn't want their children to go through this "trauma" (at least the media seems to think it is), then Michelle could have stayed home. Either way, I'm sure they were not in public schools, something a military child faces, since the military makes almost nothing compared to a Senator (with all the bennies, the extra speaking fees, the bribes, etc).

January 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. obama-mama

@Daniel: Until you improve on your spelling/vocabulary, do not post on the site.....Please look into hooked on phonics. Wow....

January 5, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. former republican

The future First Daughters look great for thier first day at a new school. A new school is tough on anyone, but can you imagine what its going to be like for them? Wow! And yes for all of you out there saying, "Is this news?" It is, and if its not your kind of news...then don't read it!

January 5, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. Spider

To Ho Chi Daddy-

Let me get this straight. In order to understand the importance of an education and a good parental influence to young people, Blacks need to see an African American President of the United States acting that way?

No matter that Presidents with children, albeit White, have done this since the nation was born. No matter that presidents of corporations and businesses, Black and White, have dealt with their children and their education, properly. No matter that plain old members of your local community, regardless of color, have shown the way to raising
    children.

Blacks need to see the President of the United States raise his children to know the correct procedure. I guess I can accept that, beings as we have been told that only after electing an African American President can Blacks truly believe they "can do anything".
    Senators, governors, athletes, corporate CEOs weren't enough to open the eyes of Black youth that employment success was obtainable. Seeing the Black President being a good parent will surely make the average African American become parent of the year.

I will watch and wait with bated breath.

January 5, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. yellow dog democrat

TO all that "don't care" I care....read your news elsewhere please you are muddying up the water!

January 5, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. arc, Lugano CH

Sonya January 5th, 2009 10:53 am ET
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In your head, President-Elect Obama probably recites the pledge of allegiance of Kenya while kneeling in front of a Koran.

But you couldn't even find Kenya on a map and if someone left a Koran in the middle of your walmart, you'd run for the exits in cowardly fear!!!

Silly Goose!! Comme tu es stupide!

January 5, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. BJ

"Obama and Michelle are real role models for the nation."

Oh please...give me a break. Left wing elitists are not role models.

January 5, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. She'

I really wish they'd leave those girls alone. Do we really need to know where they'll attend school? Do we really need to know what Hotel they checked in, what suite they'll occupy? Do we really need to know where Obama is at every second and what time he'll get there? I think it's absolutely nobody's business.

January 5, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Terry B.

"Sonya January 5th, 2009 10:53 am ET

I wonder if these two girls will stand & recite the pledge of allegiance this morning or will they do as their father does? I know my son will say the pledege to our nation this morning as he does every morning, that's newsworthy."

Jeez Louise, could you be anymore of a MORON there Sonya?

January 5, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. mmvanderson

Sonya, maybe you should be attending school with your son. If he is is in first grade, that's definately where you should be.

January 5, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. knowlege

Sonya, the girls will recite the pledge of Allegiance Duhhh!!! They are Americans. Are you and your son American????

January 5, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  17. yeah

richard rohde- clearly people are talking about you comments on 'lefties' being demented and so forth. dont try to flip the argument suggesting that people are arguing that slander should be allowed. Really, come on, you are just trying to flip the argument to make people look bad. just stop and let's move on. ok.

January 5, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. vm

I think its wonderful seeing something refreshing in the news for a change. This is soon to be our first family and people need to get used to seeing those precious children in the news. There will always be negative things in the news, lets enjoy the lighter fare once in a while!

January 5, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. inuk of the north

The only point not being made is the issue of private vs. public schools.

Obama, from day one, long before security was an issue, chose a private school education for his kids.

Simultaneously, he claims not to be an 'elitist'.

Typical Obama – big talk, small walk,

January 5, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Boston Irish

Leigh, If you don't think an article is important enough, please don't bother posting your complaint. I'm sure you have more important things to do than complain. Frankly, I enjoyed reading the article. I'm glad they are getting settled in in DC. I thought it was very newsworthy and I think it's nice to see a positive report once in a while. There are way too many disturbing news reports to gripe about an upbeat one. So, all I can say to you is go back to your depressing reading and leave the nice ones alone.

January 5, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. Leviticus

You like to complain about what CNN writes? Start your own news network and put up, or shut up. All you complaining about freedom of speech, prob the same people who run their mouths about being true Americans. Here's an idea. Get a life and quit trolling the forums, You complain about it, yet here you are reading and replying. whine whine whine. cry cry cry, the day-care is back in town.

January 5, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  22. Beverly

STILL BITTER, UH, LINDA?

January 5, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  23. SIMP

Lynn in NM

My what harsh words. I have a great respect for the military but how can you, compare the military kids to the first family childrens? Are you serious? This is the transistion all first children go through. Stop hating you loser, and who in the heck are you to tell First Lady Obama that she needs to stay home, what an idiot you are. LOL

January 5, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Hey Kids!

I mean you, the posters.

I have voted since JFK, and the kid(s) of every new prez get their pics taken on first day of school. Same with the Brit royalty. It is almost a tradition.

I have seen too many deaths within our governmental ranks, and I can't bring myself to mention them because it is painful.

My prayers go out to the Obamas for having the courage–the guts–to take on the presidency and risk their lives.

And I sure in heck wish their kids godspeed as they venture out into a new world.

January 5, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. kiwi apple

This is all about of JEALOUSY of a Colored President.
    We as Americans know there are people who DEEPLY Hate black people and will do anything to hurt them in word, deeds and actions.

Hence the world has no repect for us as a nation.

January 5, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |