January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. cal

All you haters who keep running your mouths saying this is not new, well guess what" Yes it is. These are the first children and darn right this is front page news. Personally I hope the press leaves the girls alone but all you haters need to stop whinning, find something else to do besides sending all these negative blogs. Give me a break

January 5, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. VALUES

Sonya the donkey, Dont hate because you had a bad childhood.

January 5, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. Scott NYC Independent

As considerate Americans shouldn't we be more concerned about our first families safety and the childrens privacy. After all this is the man we expect will lead the fight, capture and possible death of Osama Bin Laden. The family should be afforded every possible element of privacy we can respectfully give them. This is not something the public needs to know.

January 5, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Kelly Virginia

People get a life...President Obama is the first Black to hold this office so some people wants to know about the kids its natural because there haven't been childrens in the White House for years.....It's not like we will see them everyday....this is historical for the moment....It will all fade away.....Instead of complaining everyone should be praying for this first family and our nation....

January 5, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Jacky

CNN also reported George Bush's cat died. This is not partisan politics. The happenings of our president, president-elect, and the White House are national news, even if it is mundane. Not interested? No one forced you to. The headline told you what the subject was. DON'T CLICK if you don't care.

January 5, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. Jon

For all those who keep complaining about these types of stories . . . Why keep commenting on them? Why not boycott them? Show your "disinterest."

January 5, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Irish

These are adorable girls, but I hope that pictures of their every move will not be published constantly over the next 4 or 8 years. It will be hard enough already for them to have anything resembling a normal childhood.

January 5, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. jm for sc

Why is this news? They were in school all along and will be until they complete college. I would hope that the media would respect the privacy as well and consider the saftey of those children by not reporting every move they make.

Some people will do or say anything to have their name mentioned on television even if it lands them in jail.

January 5, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Joseph

excuse me Sonya unless your child attends a private school he isn't saying the pledge of allegiance either

January 5, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. jm for sc

BJ, there is not such thing as left and right wing. That is just a political saying. The Obama family is just as much of a role model as any of the other white presidents and their families were.

We need to see what this president is going to do before judging him.

January 5, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Michele

If the Obamas wish to keep the girls out of the lens of the media, perhaps they should not be releasing photos . . .

January 5, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Beverly

LOL. FOX has the same pictures & story too. Maybe you should try the New York Times, wait, they have the story also. Oh well, maybe you should just LIVE WITH IT!!!!

January 5, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  13. ted

Is this the most important news story today?

What about the fighting in Israel?

What about the economy?

What about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan?

This is not news!!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Thomas

What gives me pause is that CNN reports the location of the shcools the Obama children are atteding. Maybe I am all alone here, but this just doesn't seem necessary. Not in these precarious times.

January 5, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  15. Whyputaname

Ya know CNN and other media outlets, why are you broadcasting what/where these girls are going to school for. Or what Hotel the Obama's are staying at.

With all of the crazies and extemists out there maybe it's better that you don't. IT IS CALLED SECURITY, and for security reasons you shouldn't be broadcasting this!

The media would be sitting in the bathroom with them if given half a chance!

January 5, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. ceomomof2

This is the most historic presidency ever. Therefore, the first day of school for the children of the first Black President-Elect of the US is news. Perhaps not breaking, but it is news. Having said that, I do realize that many of you for various reasons, have had your fill of news regarding our next president and his family. I suggest you get over it as there will be many more stories to read. If it bothers you that much, you can choose not to read the article and return to the fascinating news about Paris Hilton, the death of the first cat, Bristol Palin's new baby and GED prep, or the ongoing press about the very important Angelina Jolie. Oh, and for those of you that insist on comparing the Obama girls first day of school to that of your own children…As soon as you become president, I'm sure that CNN would love to have the pics to post.

January 5, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  17. Dionne

I am glad to see that the girls are transitioning well from Chicago to Washington, DC. But I am really concerned that the author of this newsletter would give so much detail to where the girls are attending school. First, it really is not anyone's business where they are going to school. Second, this is a security issue when this much information is leaked to the public.

The author should be ashamed of himself or herself. Some things should be left private. To the author: how about you list the names and locations of your children's schools in a newsletter so that everyone can see, just to keep it fair.

January 5, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. Terri

Those girls are adorable. I hope that they enjoy their new school.

January 5, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Angie-OHIO

God bless the 1st family. And I hope the media leaves them alone after this.

January 5, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. Ken

I would think that the media would have better things to cover than Obama's kids starting school! What a joke!

January 5, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. shoegazer

This might be a tiny bit newsworthy if the headline read"Obamas girls
    refuse to go to School".

January 5, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Linda32

To those with nasty comments....we care because Malia and Sasha will be the First Children. If you don't like the story, don't read it. It is so funny to see your comments about children who are actually going to school and compare them to those of others that just having babies.

Also, why do people have to read these articles through left or right "eyes"....

January 5, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. PC

What's the big deal with the pledge of allegiance? I love my country and am very happy to have been born here.

Let’s get real, why would I recite something that does not apply to me. In elementary school once I understood the meaning of the words, I stop reciting the pledge of allegiance, for the very reason that it’s stated in the words; those benefits did not then or today apply to me.

My allegiance is with USA, because this is my COUNTRY.
    I can only hope that Obama being president will open some eyes, too know that we are all equal, and one day soon I to will get to recite the pledge of allegiance and it will ring true to my ears Sonya as it rings for your son.

I want to welcome to DC Obama and family

January 5, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. BUSH BEGONE, AND NOW 75% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

@richard rohde

Perhaps you should call your goddes of the frozen tundra and ask her to STOP calling People magazine to discuss her unwed daughter's baby and then recommend she NOT post articles about the same subject on the official Alaskan government website.

We all would be happy to ignore what's her face, but she continues to exploit her children and display shameless ambition just for the media spotlight the same "gotcha" media she professed to hate just 2 months ago. Now she is exploiting babies to get 300.000 out of people mag..

January 5, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. virginia nielsen

I agree with some comments up there... the Obamas really represent my idea of FAMILY VALUES !!! Married for 17 years,and you can see real love and respect among them ... beautiful !!! Finally a good exemple in the W.H. I wish them the best !!! God bless America !!!

January 5, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |