January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. Jeff

Re: Obaman January 5th, 2009 9:46 am ET

Obama and Michelle are real role models for the nation. May the Lord help them!

Is this your type of role model?

Bullied his way into the US Senate by getting his opponents disqualified. Oh, and by the way, he practically ran unopposed.

Voted "Present" for the majority of required Senate votes taking no stand either way.

Described the US Constitution as a document of negative liberties and stated the US should come up with something else.

Will bankrupt the coal industry no matter how clean it can become and energy prices will skyrocket.

Wants a 250,000 person stateside militia that reports to the president and is as well funded and equipped as the Army.

Opposes school choice even though he is for it when it comes to his own children.

These are just a few.

The left loves to describe folks like me as "hateful". I would say I am concerned for the future of the USA under this man.

Yes Obaman, May the Lord Help Him.

January 5, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. pammy

before I start, I am not a racist. Far from it. I have a black son-in-law whom I love very much.

Get used to nothing but Obama and his family in the news for the next 8 years. The media made him into a saint, almost eerie the way they portrayed him with 90% coverage compared to 10% for McCain. But thanks to them he got elected. personally I think he will bomb as president and really don't care. Just hope all the idiots who listened to the medias fasination of him will get what they deserve for making him president. Has anyone noticed how well the media has covered the war. How we have been winning. No, I don't think so. They will wait until Obama gets in and give him credit for anything good. The problem is he isn't going to make any changes. I guess there is one good thing I can say about Obama. We don't have to have Hillary for the next 8 years. Ugh!!!!!!! We are getting the best of two evils. But seriously if you think he is a saint and is going to change the world, Sorry. Won't happen.

January 5, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Theresa

Of course it's not that important compared to President Bush's cat dying.

January 5, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. Rick

Whether it's the cat, or going to school, the press will report on anything involving the President. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Stories like this, though not earth-shattering, do show that the Bushes and Obamas are also fellow human beings with the same concerns and life issues that the rest of us face. And the rest of us should probably consider ourselves lucky we aren't hounded by the press.

It's not only Bush, Obama, etc. Just think of how much "fluff" news is reported on various movie stars, professional athletes and others of "celebrity". It won't change, but there's not need for the hate just because it's reported.

January 5, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. pammy

Forgot one thing. I agree that his girls should go to private school. The public school system does not need all the media coverage. I also don't think it should have been broadcast just where the girls are going to school. They need their privacy and need to be kept out of the media.

January 5, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. lovable liberal

What a great picture! Barack may be two weeks away from the Presidency, but he's still dad, and the girls are not going to be too impressed by him even if he gives them a three-point plan for their new school.

January 5, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Tom

I'm a Republican who was not happy to see BHO elected.
    That said, the man is the President-elect and I'm sick and tired of seeing disrespectful holiday photos of him and hope the press will spare his daughters the tabloid treatment and give them as normal a childhood they can have considering their father's new job.

January 5, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Lia

This is dumb. Why on earth should this be public knowledge? Annoucing to the world where the girls are going to school compromises their safety! Irresponsible reporting in the name of the first amendment!

January 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. HISGAL

I'm sorry but I am so sick of these people – can we just move on with our lives without hearing about every bowel movemen tthey have?

January 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. Proud American

It's funny how all the comments from Idiots about this not being news and no one care. Why are you Idiots on the site and taking time to comment? Stop slamming these kids, just because your are little Idiots.

January 5, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Mike

I wonder how Obama explained to his children the change that would come to their lives when he started running for president. How do you explain concepts like "Media" or "Secret Service"? to an 7 or 8 year old girl? How do you prepare her for this kind of stardom? Will it change them? And if so, how to counter that? We don't need any more Britneys or Parises...

January 5, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Minneapple gal

I wish the girls good luck in their new home and city. To the Obamas BRush these hating Conservatives off your shoulder

To

January 5, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. ron

It's really disturbing to read some of these posts. Is it Rush and Bill O? Is it racism? What is wrong with some Americans? Please stop continuing the devisive rhetorical tactits started by Atwater, Rove and there slimy ilk. We as Americans should look at this family with pride - we are indeed able to live up to the promise that is America.

January 5, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Flo

May God be with the Obamas, and may He continues on blessing them.

January 5, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Dave, Central Illinois

They are both very cute girls and they deserve their privacy. And, so do the Palins. Those of you who are saying "stop the hate" and the like should also practice what you preach. The hate from the Left against the Palins has become so extreme that some blog sites dedicated to making fun of Palin's child with Downs Syndrome have been started. Anybody that finds that funny is mentally ill.

January 5, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. TN

Whether you like it or not, this family is going to be in the news a lot, and they should be. If they weren't in the news people would want to know why not. When they are in the news, people want to know why it's news. Get over it, I find the upcoming first family fascinating. Good for these two parents to be good parents and with everything else going on, have time for their kids first day of school. I'm sure they are anxious. I am so tired of negative people and the negative comments. Get a job or a life or shut up.

January 5, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. Cindy

Welcome to DC Mr President elect and family.
    The girls will do just find, first day in school always a challenged.

January 5, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. Lia

Obaman January 5th, 2009 9:46 am ET
    "Obama and Michelle are real role models for the nation. May the Lord help them!"

Actually, the only noteworthy thing they have done is get elected. Aren't we supposed to wait until he is in office to see what he does before we judge him? Kinda of hard to call them role models just yet.

And I dont' think either Michelle or Sara should have to stay home. They both have a right to choose to work and have a career- even if neither of them have too. Michelle also had a high power job taking her away from her children and first lady won't be much different with all the responsibilities that come with being a first lady.

January 5, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  19. Mrs Grossman

Why does everybody keep calling bho a black man? he's only half black and there's another word for that, "mulatto". There are millions of this race. What's the big deal?

January 5, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  20. Reds from NJ

I believe the Obamas will be a great role model for family values for all families, not only minorities. In a great majority of families the parents do not take an interest in their children's education, social upbringing, etc. If you have someone to show you how a real family functions, then maybe some of our children can be saved. I know I wish my mother went to school with me the first day when I changed schools! Where was she? at home watching TV.

January 5, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  21. Carmen

HOW is this news? Thousands of children attend school everyday...........

January 5, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. kelly WI

Big deal,,,yawn. Isn't it just convenient for there to be a photographer on scene during their private lives. Thousands a day spent on 2 motorcades. Disgusting. Those kids aren't any more valuable than ours. Any one who wanted to know where the kids are can find out easy enough. Dosen't matter if cnn tells or not. Too bad the kids can't be just kids like we were, have to be kept in protective bubble.
    Role models? I don't need any role models. Just another buzz word. Think about it.

January 5, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. Christina

Why does everyone get so upset when something that doesn't have violence in it ends up on the news? I actually enjoyed seeing those pictures and wish OUR new President and his family the best! I am proud to say Obama is my president elect and no matter what anyone says about him, just remember he is your president too LOL. Anyways, I love the Obamas and wish them well!

January 5, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. Matt

Oh wow, a Quaker Friends School. Would like to see what Obama is paying for that education.

Would have thought Obama would have made a point to send them to a liberal thinking public school or something. Doesn't really seem to have much faith in Bill Ayers public school system!

January 5, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. Connie

I don't care if you're Republican or Democrat, it really doesn't matter. However, it bothers me to no end when people make predictions or speak poorly of politicians without knowing the issues. If you are going to make generalizations and spout nonsense, you're better off keeping your mouth shut.

Pammy, before you make predictions about what Obama will and will not accomplish as President, you should wait until he actually takes office. Judging people before they have had a chance to prove themselves is really not smart. Besides, as a United States citizen, you should hope that he doesn't fail. This is your future at stake as well. Grow up. I didn't like Bush, but I still hoped that he made the best decisions for the country while he was in office. Also, your argument lacks substance. There is nothing to back your claim that Obama will fail, so your words bear no weight. Before you condemn someone, you should get educated on the subject. Then you may be able to make an intelligent, justifiable argument. Otherwise, keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

January 5, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |