January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. Supporter from NC

This isn't news, but they will be the first family in 15 days and we will get information about them than we ever wanted to know and I sure more than they want us to know. This is a big change and I wish the girls luck.

January 5, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  2. Sally

Charming jhuman interest story, but I have to agree with Nebraskan. Is this really a poltical ticker story?

January 5, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*

All you people who keep posting "who cares", etc.- well, obviously YOU cared enough to read the story and make a comment.

The media has posted stories about the children of presidents for as long as I can remember. They trailed poor Amy Carter around like hunting dogs. And they trailed the Clinton's daughter until the Clintons finally begged them to give her a break. Probably the Bush daughters got off the lightest. Once their drinking & arrest stories were making headlines, George W. declared war on the press and they backed off and you never heard another word about those girls until it was marrying time. (George W. had a knack for liking to eep things secret, didn't he?)

Once the Obamas are in the White House, they may be able to control access to their girls better, but in the meantime, the press is going to cover them. Personally, I'd rather read something about those girls than all the negative cr** you otherwise see in the press.

So, grow up. Deal with it. If you don't want to read about them, then don't read the story. Nobody is forcing you to read it, you know.

January 5, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. karen-phoenix

I've been a republican for over 40 years but voted and pray for Obama. Lefties are more mainstream than you can imagine and republicans had better start realizing that!!! I finnally did. Obama, his wife and Biden are all highly educated people!!! Masters and doctorate degrees!!! Their kids are and will be highly educated and set a great example for American kids. This is NOT true of Palin's kids or Palin herself!!! Just the trueth. And Palin and her kids are NOT the example I want for my grandkids!!!

January 5, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

You forgot to tell us what they wore and did they buy their lunch or pack it in a brown bag.

January 5, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. MissyRiver

I know that it has to be a three ring circus getting these girls to and from school with all the security that they have to have. I am not sure that I would want everyone to know what school that they are attending, I wish them both luck.

January 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. brain

Obama is the President of the United States. He and his family will be under the public eye. Notice that is was Michelle Obama’s spokeswoman who informed the press of the decision. Obama has mentioned time and time again that he wants his girls lives to be as normal as possible–I believe that he and Michelle will do just that. Instead of worrying that something is going to happen, be happy that the Obama’s found a school that good their little girls. Now for the puppy…

January 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. Jennifer B

Richard you're being quite niave, if you arguing that members of the right never said extremely ugly things about Obama and his family. And believe me Palin's family was handled with kid gloves, if one of Obama's girl's had been pregnant, there would have been all kinds of racist, welfare remarks.

The bulk of attacks against Palin were over her obssession with JUST

January 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. sibyl

Thanks for the update. Some parents in this country need to see
    what parental involvement looks like. If everyone did this the world
    would be a better place.

January 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. Cris

Who cares...and why is this news?

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  11. Former Republican

I guess the Obama haters would prefer reading about Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, America's nitwits.

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. Poor Judgement

You can say whatever you want about the Bill and Hillary Clinton. I don't recall that they "released" pictures of their daughters.

It was in poor taste over the summer that the girls were interviewed for a tacky television show and I believe this is in poor taste as well.

How much are we going to hear of the girls when poll numbers are sagging and when the Obama Administration want to change the subject. I don't question the love they have for their children, but I do question this image that they are so desperately trying to create, "Obamalot" as Michelle Obama has described.

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. david

I trust that God will protect these kids. People, don’t be fooled the CIA has everything under control. If anyone even thinks something crazy torward Obama or his kids, they will be taken out (believe that)!

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. WowInNJ

You people are so friggin bitter!

No, this isn't major news...it isn't meant to be...it's a nice cute fluff piece and that's the point.

Folks, it's OK to not have every story be some huge weighty affair...live is about the little moments as much as the grand big picture. I, for one, had a little smile thinking about the Obamas being like every family in America and ferrying their kids back to school after Christmas break.

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. jj

No other children have a dad that's the president elect of the US. That's why this is news. Hello?

January 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Carol

I wish the Obama's well in the next 4 years. The girls will have the biggest transition change because they are so young. But with a great caring mother like Michele, they will also will do well.

For the rest of you that have nothing good to say – I suggest you redirect your energy and anger at your own life and try to "change" that. It's people like you that cause the world to be like it is. Just try once to do something nice for a someone as see how great you can feel inside.

January 5, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. tweetygale

Like previous children that resided in the white house, I am glad that they are attending school. I am not sure if this was news worthy material, but I am sure this is a big adjustment for them two. I wish them luck and hope they have a great day at school.

January 5, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. megan

Keep those girls in PRAYER

January 5, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  19. Shari, NY

I wish them well and now it is time to leave them to learn and adjust in peace. Watch for the day following Bush's much heralded departure. Blogging will be next to impossible

January 5, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Synde75

It's the most elite school in the DC area, so much for improving, the public schools. Even home schooling would have saved us money.

January 5, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. Nice Girl

THIS IS GREAT NEWS....good luck Malia and Sasha!

January 5, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. Joanna

I love seeing this family.

January 5, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. DK

I pray that these children are treated with the same respect as every other child in the school and otherwise. God bless the FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN FAMILY!'A Change Done Come!'

January 5, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. Debby

I hardly ever heard about Bush girls while in office. I am more concerned about the economy and where Obama is going with it vs. his kids first day at school.

January 5, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. giggey43

While those 2 girls are cute and seem to be sweet I really don't think they are worthy of major news....The economy is uppermost in my mind and can he and Congress fix it...

Obaman – role models??? good grief they haven't even helped our country yet. Getting the horse before the cart aren't you?????

January 5, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |