January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. Khan

This Family hates Whites. Hopefull the other children show them who's boss. I say lets ship them back to Africa were the monkeys belong.

January 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Richie

richard rohde - What the heck are you talking about?

Good luck, girls. Remember, everyone has had a first day at a new school, and we all felt very nervous!

January 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. Sholunda Hall

I absolutely LOVE seeing this family! It fills me with pride, hope, and an extreme feeling of wholesomeness to see this wonderful protrayal of what the AMERICAN family looks like. I hope people of all ethnicities and nationalities realize that the media portrayal of black families isn't as it seems overall. The father-less, single parent households are but a small portion of any family PERIOD. Seeing this portrayal of family and love makes my husband and I proud that one day we too will have wonderful children to carry forth our values and morals. Thank you President-elect and First Lady Obama!!

January 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Chris

I would also like to point out that my girls also started school today... But that didn't seem to make the news. Of course, I'm not nearly as important as Obama but I just wanted to point that out.

WHO CARES?!

January 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. chuck

leigh@ You are a moron.These are the daughters of the President of America. get a life and wake up to reality.

January 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. Tom

When did 5th grade become middle school?

January 5, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. d1andonly

Ah.....................do I sense some bitter people here? I am sure if it was Palin's family your bitterness will not be present. McCalin lost so get over it and be happy for the President elect and his family. Grow up people!

January 5, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. Al, NY NY

Richard Rhode....Maybe Sarah Palin and her promiscuous daughter should try to stay out of the news? With the recent report about "abstinence promises" and how they don't work and the rantings from the right about governmental forcing condoms and sex ed on students, maybe matress back Palin should have paid attention. Her mother is all about values but her daughter contradicts her

January 5, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. Matt

There's these crazy things called "headlines" that someone told me about once and they apparently alert you to the content of the article. If you don't like it, don't read it. GROW THE HELL UP.

January 5, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. d1andonly

Oh, I almost forgot...good luck in school young ladies!

January 5, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Everything in Moderation

What's wrong with the public schools?

January 5, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Nikky Ooto

Leigh, I can feel how sad you are, and how you have filled yourself with the spirit of hate. I am sure you never went to school at their age.

January 5, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. sally Petri

this is our first family – Can't we just be positive and wish them well – these girls are going through a lot of changes as well as Mom and Dad. This is a huge change in there lives. If you have nothing nice to say – then wear beige and keep your mouth shut. Good luck girls on your new adventure and what an adventure it will be.

January 5, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Jack

Let's set the tone now. Give these girls a chance at being little girls and stop posting thier lives on the internet, tv, etc. The bigs news is what the President is doing.....not his children. We all send our kids to school and that is simply a family matter.

January 5, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. CNN is losing it

Why would we care about this?

January 5, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Linda in MS

Richard, you obviously only read some of the comments on these blogs. If you read them all, you would hopefully recognize the hatred many conservatives post every day about the Obama family, including their children. What hurts the most is the ugliness written about their physical appearance, which are obviously racial slurs. I agree that attacking anyone's family is just plain wrong, but it is happening on both sides here. Please take your blinders off.

January 5, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. laura

Good luck girls!!

January 5, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  18. RealityKing

Obama promised Americans Bill Gates style public education but then sends his own children to a private quacker school. What change??

January 5, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  19. Lisa

Wow, all of you who don't care about the story certainly took some time to click on the headline, maybe read the story, and post a comment. I think you do care.

January 5, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  20. 18 year old voter from Jersey

I will never cease to be amazed. Israel is fighting Hamas in Gaza, and this is on the political ticker?

Come on guys...

January 5, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. dan

I went to work today, my wife went to work today and my daughter went to school, tomorrow can someone take pictures of us.

January 5, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  22. Denise P Quinton

I agree with the comment that we are in the midst of a political crisis in Gaza and you find it newsworthy to inform us where the Obama daughters will be attending school, who cares?

January 5, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. Kirk

How in God's name is this headline news?

January 5, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  24. Cory

Hey morons- If you dont care, then dont read it. This is called a "ticker" for a reason. If you want hard cutting news stories dont come here!!!

January 5, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. Mary/Michigan

The Great Obama is still voting "present". His biggest worry is his pecs and photo ops and how to sit on the fence for 4 years.

January 5, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |