January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. DW

Now hopefully the press and public can back off and give these girls a chance at a normal life or something close to it. And coming from a socalled "lefty", I'd urge the same hands off policy for the Palin family.

January 5, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. Jessica

I am not sure why this is news. The girls need as little attention as possible to attempt to live a semi-normal life!

January 5, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. KONOTA abdoulaye

I wish them all the best. May God, the Almighty protect these two little girls. Good luck to Obama.

January 5, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. jpi

I find it quite amazing that Barack Obama refuses to support school choice...except when it's his own kids. How can he retain any credibility with saying he supports public education (and doesn't support vouchers) but yet sends his own children to private schools (instead of the "local" elementary school in Washington DC)? Baffling.

January 5, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. Dexter

Motorcade indeed, For the people on this post who are callous to the safty of these kids, this is the same protection you would want for your children if you were the President-Elect of the most powerful country on the planet.

Presient & President-Elect is an all expense paid job, get used to it, the Republican's did. Those kids are only in danger because of who their father is, this is the same protection you would want for your children if you were the President-Elect of the most powerful country on the planet.

January 5, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. Papi

May God bless them!!..I will pray to the lord Jesus to help them in these difficult times..May the lord give them the strength to gather the strength to overcome any obstacles with strength...they are cute, but who the hell cares!!!...DEC 21st 2012 is coming!!!!!

January 5, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. hunter

What is wrong with you all? After hearing about nothing but pain and suffering non-stop, it is nice to hear about something else for a change. If you don't like it I have some great advice...Just keep on scrollin.

January 5, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Sarah Leone

Absolutely no disrespect intended in this comment but I find the activities of the Obama girls more pertinent than an autopsy on John Travolta's son. Probably less than two-thirds of the population have ever heard of John Travolta and even fewer know of his son.

Like it or not, Obama is your future and those children are his life. Whatever they do impacts you, me, and this country – one way or another. So how about expanding your thinking process beyond your next beer or NASCAR event and wish these children long life and happiness?

January 5, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. karen

The Obama girls are precious I wish them well, not a fan of Obama but I hope that the girls enjoy their new school and make lots of friends.

January 5, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. Gloria - Minnesota

I wish them all well! I bet the girls are nervous and excited at the same time.

God Bless our soon-to-be new First Family!!

January 5, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. pam Eugene OR

The Obama and the Plain family situations are so different. Palin used her children like walking campaign props and continues to do so to keep her self in the news.
    I don't hate Palin. I just want her to go away but SHE insists on keeping herself and her children in the news. She is the one that keeps giving statements for people to comment on and using her new grandchild to try to keep herself relevant.
    I wish CNN would not say exactly where and when the Obama children can be seen.

January 5, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Scott from DC

Look at all the devil's advocates....doesn't matter, whatever the story is they go against the grain.. ...a bunch of miserable jerks...

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. NWoods

I find it interesting that some people complain about this not being news and thumb their nose at CNN for taking the time on this, yet you take the time to post a response on it. Ya know what the nice thing about the internet is? It is your choice what links you click and what stories you read. To you its not worth reading but to someone else it is. So why not let those who think its worthwhile read it and you can go on and focus your time and energy on the things that you deem to be more important.

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. Mike Martin

It's news because there are people who want to know everything that happens with our next President. I love how involved PE Obama appears in his girls lives. Too many people in the political realm end up detached from family.

Oh, and Mr. Rohde, as I lefty I'd LOVE if the media left Palin's family alone. There's no need to talk about her or her family at all anymore!

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Austin, Texas

Stop hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. vonda

The girls will be fine . I wish them well . What a great looking family.

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. Paul

All I hear from leigh is crying... ANYTIHNG that happens to the Most powerful man in the world-elect is news.

January 5, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. STEVE R

he stills owes me a check...........

January 5, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Hannah Stevens

We finally have a real family in the White House, a loving caring family. A mother and father with real "family values". I am so hopeful that our nation will heal and we will become one nation for all once again.

January 5, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. Ann

I for one am totally interested in everything this wonderful family does and feel privileged to be able to have news of them and their activities everyday. Please continue to cover them as they transition from ordinary people to presidential family.

January 5, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  21. Idris

Wow@ some of the responses...

Who cares? The nation cares....the whole world cares. The people are fascinated with this family. When was the last time the white house was occupied with small children? People and the media will enjoy watching them grow up during their fathers term in office. Although I do agree they need to give them some privacy. Great stuff..

January 5, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  22. tishoogle

Why is there so much hate in some people! Is it because of the color of these young people's skin! You are BIGOTS!

January 5, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  23. Majo

Well you read the news, apparently you care!

January 5, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

I am completely floored at the following comments about
    "WHY IS THIS NEWS? EVERY BODY'S CHILDREN GO TO
    SCHOOL EVERY DAY, and no one hears about them!

Thankfully these negative comments are few and more
    than likely are coming from JEALOUS REPUBLICANS!

FOLKS PLEASE, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING!
    These two innocent girls are, BECAUSE OF THEIR DAD'S
    BEING PRESIDENT ELECT, are now very much in the
    PUBLIC EYE, but first and foremost, they require daily
    to be under THE GUARD OF SECURITY SERVICE, just
    this last fact is NEWS WORTHY, these innocent girls now

CNN PLEASE POST THIS COMMENT tks.
    have THEIR LIVES TURNED UPSIDE DOWN, AT THIS
    VERY TENDER AGE.

I just hope and pray that for all of the disparaging
    comments, THERE WILL BE HUNDREDS WHO
    REALLY APPRECIATE why whatever these two girls
    do now, WILL BE NEWS WORTHY, and I HOPE AND
    PRAY, that PEOPLE WILL SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
    for their SAFETY, and for them TO BE ABLE TO SETTLE
    IN AND REALLY BE HAPPY IN THEIR NEW SCHOOL,
    they have left most of their friends behind and they
    MUST BE FEELING A BIT SCARED AND LONELY,
    I hope that they will make many new friends, and
    enjoy their new school for years to come.

January 5, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  25. Scott

This is one of the dumbest pieces of information CNN has put on here lately. Come on, CNN. There are plenty of MUCH more important things Americans should be informed about that you neglect to cover

January 5, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |