January 5th, 2009

Obama team releases more donors to transition

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama Monday released a list of 53,853 people who donated money to the Obama-Biden Presidential Transition, the organization that has built the administration-in-waiting in the run-up to Obama's inauguration as president on January 20.

The Transition raised just over $3.8 million dollars between Election Day and December 15, it said in a statement, with an average donation of about $70.

It is available on a searchable database at http://change.gov/donors.

Related: Obama transition releases donor list

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Robert

to Ken; where do you get off saying Obama is buying the presidency. He received the most votes on 4 November and won the most states. He stated that he would let the american people know everything that he does as our new president. Get off your high horse and support him as everyone that voted for him does.

January 5, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Jackie in Dallas

Ken,
    You're a jerk if you believe that the majority of people wanted Hillary elected. She LOST, fair and square, and is getting much fairer treatment from President Elect Obama than she ever would have given him!

I'm one on that list of donors; the first time in more than 20 years I've donated to a political candidate, and I'm proud of THAT.

January 5, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Marlon P!

Ken, that's the first stupid thing i've read in the NEW YEAR.. Hats off to you goofy!!

January 5, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Liane

so? What about donors to the campaign???

January 5, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. Ted

KEN my boy you can not buy the president spot. stop being so sore about nothing. the PEOPLE gave to this man and his cause. remember by the people for the people. You talk like you believe in communisim so you can chose who YOU like not the Majority. mmmm strange. YOu might want to OPEN up your eyes. Where were u during the BUSH years. Where were the cries of anger then. ?????? I thought NOT. StoP BS YOURSElF

January 5, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Joe

Hey Ken,
    Don't waste your time...The Obama supporters will drink the cianide laced cool-aid when he gives them the OK.. All of us that don't believe in the messiah will live happier lives once they follow his orders.

January 5, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  7. 18 year old voter from Jersey

yellow dog, I'm afraid you're mistaken. Obama actually accepted a few donations from foreign nationals (which is illegal). Some donations were returned, but others (to my knowledge) were not even addressed because god forbid CNN reported on it like the wall street journal did. Turns out random people in Palestine can help buy the election for the presidency so long as they're helping a liberal =/

January 5, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. BUSH BEGONE, AND NOW 75% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

And Bush announced today he will NOT provide a list of donors to his library.

While not required, it would be nice if the shrub followed Clinton's lead and voluntarily provided a list of donors.

Could it be because Halliburton would be every other entry?

January 5, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  9. Greg

While I disagree with the statement, it amazes me that you are suprised by people in power buying influence. It's the American way. Where have you been all your life? Haven't you heard of lobbyists?

Should have/could have...

The majority of the population wanted Obama, which is why he is going to be the president. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tired of of the same old game. (Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Thank god not Clinton again) I like Hillary, but it was getting rediculous having two families run the county for the last 20 years.

PS – I'm sure Clinton wouldn't have taken donations like Obama did. Right?

"What amazes me is that Obama is buying the "Presidency", and no one cares.

What I am proud of is that I did not help get Obama elected. It still should have been Hillary Clinton that the majority of the voters wanted for our next President."

January 5, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Bryan

Ken: Your sycophancy to the clinton's is nauseating! Just because Bill and Hillary sold their presidency by renting out the Lincoln bedroom to the highest bidder does not equate BO to doing the same. Donating an average of $70 is quite different from Barbara Striesand and David Geffen slopping thousands to the Clintons! What I am amazed at is I gave thousands to Bill Clinton because as a gay man I was thrilled to have a President who actually thought of me and brought me into the process. Then as soon as we became a political disadvantage we were thrown under the bus! Just like that! (Defense of Marriage act) and Don't ask don't tell) Why because neither Bill nor Hillary seem to have principles upon which to stand just the shifting political sands that will ensure they end up on top! It is a new day! Good bye to the Clintons!

January 5, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. Chad in Cincinnati

Its nice to see a little transparency for a change... and if you don't like private donors then push for public financing of everything political. Thats the only way to throw the bums out.

January 5, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. Veronica Richmond, VA.

I'm happy that the Obama team is doing this, btw, did Hillary pay that 7 million yet? She has 15 days left to do it. Lol

January 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. NY republican

Ken – It would be news if the winning candidate DID NOT "buy the Presidency" as people say! Every presidential winner in recent history was the one that spent the most money. Anyway this article was about people thinking so much of the P.E.'s potential that they donated money AFTER the election to help him get rolling.

January 5, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Bob

Why does it take donors to fund the Obama transition ?
    I believe there is a "Presidential Transition Act" that was designed to do just that.
    So tell me please, why is the great and powerful O raising funds for something that is already provided by the American Taxpayer ? I am starting to wonder what position the top donors recieved for their loyalty ? I mean, thats how it's done in Chicago, right ?

January 5, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. flybyshoeing

@ The Old Timer, do you really think that this country doesn't try to influence elections in other countries? How much money does the US give to Is real every year? That is the way of the world.

January 5, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. Tray

Everyone sucks except for obama!

January 5, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Bob

"President-Elect Obama is showing more transparency with this revelation than the Bush Administration did in eight years"

Yep, transparency. And I hear that Vegas is giving 10 -1 odds that we will see that 2008 Election donor list somewhere around September 2012? And Mr. O will state that they have returned all suspicious donations.

January 5, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. clifford

Where is the $630 million dollar campaign donor list? That's the one in question!!

January 5, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. Chipster

Greg,
    If Obama is "buying the election," then what would you call it if any of the other candidates won? They all accepted donations because it simply costs money to run a campaign. I was a Hillary supporter too but I gladly joined her in the effort to restore our nation after the past 8 years of corporate welfare and governmental abuse of power.

Throw a little sugar on those sour grapes, suck it up, and help Obama to achieve the goals we need to maintain our children's future, our national security, and our democratic principles.

January 5, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Otto

Hello Ken,
    Ignorance and stupidity are the same. As others noted, people gave because they want to and that's not buying an election.

January 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. JOSEPH

He is nothing but a bs artist, you thought bush was bad, wait until he gets done with us. I just hope we don't have a tereorist act in the future. Then what is he gonna do blame bush again. you don't know what you got until it's gone. just remember i told you that you will be wishing bush was back in the white house. God bless us all.

January 5, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Willy Brown

HU?

January 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Derrick

Ken -how did Obama get elected if the majority wanted Hillary??...Obama and Senator Clinton have buried the hachet and moved on.....why cant you?...and if people making legal donations is 'buying an election' then ok..it was bought..by the people!

January 5, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. DEMOCRATS RULE!

Why are supporters donating? The campaign is over with!!!

January 6, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |