January 5th, 2009

Sources: Panetta is pick for CIA

Former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta will be chosen to head the CIA, sources say.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Leon Panetta, chief of staff in Bill Clinton's White House, will be President-elect Barack Obama's choice to head the CIA, two Democratic officials told CNN Monday.

The same officials said that retired Adm. Dennis Blair, who formerly headed the Navy's Pacific Command, will be tapped as director of national intelligence.

Filed under: Leon Panetta
  1. Tim

Noah in Philly,

Kevin voted in both Ohio and PA, like many others on the Obama team.

January 5, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Tim

Let's see, someone with no intelligence experience and someone from the Clinton administration.

What part of change don't you people understand?

January 5, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Otanes

Good choice.

January 5, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. Larry in Houston

I would bet a dollar against a dime, that the "Panetta" selection was
    suggested by Hillary, or Bill, and a "bug" put in Obama's ear, for Obama to pick Panetta, especially when he was the "Chief of Staff"
    during the Clinton Years.

Larry
    Houston, Texas

January 5, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Rev. Weathers

The problem I have with Obama's picks are if I knew he was going to pick most of Bill Clinton folks for the White House; I would have voted for Hillary Clinton. I'm an African-American who worked hard and voted for President-Elect Obama. I don't mind half of his cabinet filled with people from theClinton Adminstration. But when it appears that 80 to 90% of people are from Bill Clinton's Administration, this does not look like change to me. I know I sound like a Republican, but I'm deeply disturbed by all of these picks. Obama, we need to see change. Get some new people not a part of the old establishment to drive our country in a new direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Sam

Panetta? What is this the third term for Clinton? Enough with the Clintonistas already.

I found the Panetta choice highly ironic. I'm reading Conrad Black's biography of Richard Nixon. Nixon fired Panetta from the HEW dept over 35 years ago for being a zealous partisan. Just what we need at the CIA - a zealous partisan.

January 5, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Ray in Michigan

Oh boy, another Clinton crony....and now for OJT of Leon. Bin Laden...have no fear Leon is here!

January 5, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  8. @Sam

Ain't Richard Nixon a zealous partisan? Remember watergate? Why the hell should anyone quote from that horrible excuse of a person. Frankly, i don't care if Obama chose Bill Clinton as Secretary of Commerce, if these Clintonistas can change the failed policies of bush, then let them serve!

January 5, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Marc PDX

Perfect fit for the Obama administration! He has not intelligence experience! :)

January 5, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  10. Marc PDX

If my employer worked the way the Obama administration works I would qualify as CEO! It would be funny if it wasn't so darn serious.

January 5, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  11. Allan

If DiFi is opposed, that's good enough for me. All hail Panetta!

January 5, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  12. Al

Annoying thing is, it has to be someone from the Bush or Clinton Administration, because Bush and Clintons have been Presidents for so damn long

Why i was Glad Clinton wasnt picked again, it would have been Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton

2 Families running the country one after the other, and im sure they would have each tried for 3rd

January 5, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Dan

This is another joke created by the new administration. I think we are going to have all jokers in these posts including the president.

January 5, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. New Yorker

Soccer Nana – he was given the chance to pick qualified people and this is what he does. Panetta: no intelligence experience. This one is crucial to our security. He blew it when he served Clinton; that's partly why we are dealing with terrorism. These guys who are wimps on fighting terror shouldn't be allowed near our intelligence agency.

January 5, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |