January 6th, 2009

Jackson Jr. warns Burris controversy becoming 'racialized'

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. had been mentioned as a possible Senate replacement for Obama.

(CNN) - Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. told CNN Tuesday that Roland Burris's "credentials are in order. There is a strong constitutional and legal case for his seating.

"The longer this process takes the more racialized this seat becomes and the more difficult it becomes for Democrats to hold it in 2010," said Jackson, who said he has not spoken to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid or senior Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin about the seating of Burris.

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr. • Roland Burris
  1. Guy

He (Jesse Jackson Jr.) should have been the one to take that seat.

January 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. carlo

Racism is a smoke screen here to block the bigger picture-Blago is on tape trying to sell the seat of a Senator who was just elected President. Now he appoints someone to the Senate who had NEVER been considered before this scadal came to light, and who was in fact his second choice after the first choice turned him down. Does anyone see a problem here?

Jesse Jackson is thinking of his political future and trying to stay on the side of the "poor black guy". Well, I'm sorry, but this black woman isn't falling for it. It's a new day, and I really wish people would stop crying racism where there is none. That makes it impossible to take action against real racism that happens every day.

January 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. Joe Independent

Cry racism (or in this case racializing)... a page from Obama's book. Oh come–Like O didn't do it either in primary.

January 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. Brian

Typical Democry-babies. There will always be "people like this" who argue about racism for the sake of making news and keeping their name in the media. Your life is so sad to me Jackson. I thought this nation just elected its first half white/half black President, and you're pointing to racism over this Burris character? The apple doesn't fall from the tree I guess...typical Jackson family BS.

January 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. BW

Regardless of political affiliation, it's nice to see that most everyone is sick and tired of the Jacksons, Wrights, Sharptons, etc. of the world. These guys thrive on promoting racism...it keeps them in the spotlight. I have the luxury of being bi-racial, so I look at the person's ability and integrity...not if they're black or white. But the likes of Jackson are the most openly racist group I have witnessed.

January 6, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Da LB

As long as its not a white male....we hate those people!

January 6, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Sian

Jesse Jackson jr. needs to go rot in a hole somewhere. Had it not been for his own political ambitions this entire nonsense would not exist. I only wonder why someone so obviously biased against the Governor is being given any validation by the press or the public.

January 6, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. Nancy

This is BS. This isn't about race at all, it's about corruption. And it's not about Burris, it's about the crook that appointed him. The media wants everything to be about race. Like the headline about Latinos being disappointed with Richardson's withdrawal. My whole family of white Southeast Missourians are disappointed, and most of us would love to see Burris seated. Jackson needs to quit listening to his racist daddy.

January 6, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Sian

This from a man who thought ratting out a member of his own party would get him to Washington. I suppose it was guilt that caused all those white, Hispanic, and Asians to vote a black man into the White House.

January 6, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Carol

Chicken Little...no one is listening..

January 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. cherrystrawberry

As an African American, I am so very very very disgusted with this has been House Negro I could jusrt SPI T! What he needs to do is go sit his old azz down somewhere and let the people of Chicago decide who should get the seat. I am further disgusted that some white Senators are afraid to somehow offend black constiguents (sp.) by not sitting Mr. Burris!!! What a freaking crock! News Flash White SENATORS!!!!!!!!!!!! We dont care if a black, white, asian, Latino, Mexican etc., is appointed as long as he is is QUALIFIED! To think that black people are going to March in the street if this antiquated relic isnt seated is EVEN MORE OFFENSIVE!!!!! I equate it equally offensive to those whites who think that most blacks voted for Obama because of his Skin. While I dont deny I felt a certain pride in doing such, we voted for the Best DEMOCRAT! Believe me we would have voted overwhelmingly for ANY Democrat as we have in past elections.

What is wrong with you People!!!!!! Why are some white people so afraid to stand up and say …"I dont care what color this man is…..This isnt't Right and we as AMERICAN CITIZENS aren't gonna take it?" You'd be surprised at the Black Chorus that may Chime in with you.

I'm sorry I ranted.

January 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. B.O.FAN

Oh yeah that the Ultimate defense for some blacks in this country. By the way I am black. They put everything on race as a defense.
    Race is undeniable, and a factor of selection in the american society but you have to take it case by case.
    How many well spoken qualified blacks has ever have the courage to run for the office of senate or presidency beside OBAMA?
    Remember when they've asked Obama if he did not succeed is race has something to do with it he says no but ask the same question to al sharpon or Jesse Jackson they will say yes because they still believe we are in 1960"s.
    The society is changing and I believe slowly but surely race will not be a consideration in may be 20 years.

January 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Greg, San Francisco, CA

So, I'm curious. After President Obama serves his 8 years (hopefully) will some Africans Americans then insist that all Presidents thereafter be African Americans? If Burris had any integrity he would have turned down what he knew to be a tainted appointment. Blago selected him precisely to bring up a racial issue and deflect the media attention away from the fact that he is a crooked Governor.

January 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. AJ

Blacks racialize EVERYTHING, so why would this be any different. I don't necessarily agree with the decision to turn Burris away as I don’t think they have a constitutional leg to stand on, but these statements by Jackson are idiotic. I don’t consider myself a racist but get tired of the constant winging by the black community who make an issue out of everything they can. Enough already.

January 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Mary

what is racial about our black Secretary of State having not signed the black senate nominee?

January 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. Donat E. Grant

Everyone seems to be missing the point...we are being played by Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. It is done to take the light off of him the gov.

January 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. chelle

Jesse Jr. needs to cool the remarks. Burris is not being seated in a power struggle between an accused corrupt governor and the Senate. Whether or not the struggle is worth is moot. To put a racial spin on this is ridiculous. On another note – what a bizarre way to pick successors – why not just call governors princes??? Have a bi-election to elect (there's a novel idea!!!) the successors. The idea that they can be appointed or the person's spouse can fufill their term in cases of death is medieval.

January 6, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  18. WhoCares?

They said they wouldn't seat the person Blago appointed before it was Burris.

How the hell is it racism then?

January 6, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. Greg M

Well now, the apple didn't fall too awfully far from the tree on this one did it? Like father – like son.

January 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  20. Nimi from NY

I don't know why black people like to racialize everything. This has nothing to do with race. If anything Blagojevich made it a racial issue and the rest of bought right in to it. He's somewhere now laughing his head off that some people actually bought the whole thing.

January 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Bryan

I think Carol said it perfectly. Mr. Jackson is "racializing" the situation.

January 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. Jimmy from Ravenswood, Queens

So what if you're sick of the race card being thrown! The bottom line is that there will be no African Americans in that elite club called the U.S. Senate if we listen to folks that voted for McCain/Palin.

January 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  23. chuck

JESSE JACKSON SHOULD KEEP HIS DARN MOUTH SHUT . HE AND HIS FATHER ALWAYS SPEAK AT THE WRONG TIME. THE RIGHT THING MUST BE DONE AT THE RIGHT TIME. OBAMA'S SEAT MUST BE FILLED BY A CLEAN,QUALIFIED AND LIKEABLE INDIVIDUAL WITH NO DARK CLOUD HANGING OVER THEIR HEAD. BURRIS HAS MADE SUCH A MESS OF HIMSELF AND BLACK PEOPLE AND AT THE MOMENT THE SEAT SHOULD GO TO ANY PERSON OF RACE EXCEPT FOR A SERBIAN WHO SHOULD NEVER BE PUT IN A LEADERSHIP ROLE.

January 6, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. MikeH

The only people trying to attach race to this seem to be African-American.

If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, and other appendages, that's their call.

But I sure hope they knock off all this nonsense before they do themselves serious credibility damage.

January 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Blago is playing the race card to assert his authority; nothing more. Sadly enough, he'll probably succeed.

January 6, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |