January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. HouseDiva

I wouldn't purchase her book of lies and omissions.

January 6, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. TCM

Prouder American(?)

PRouder because your vote was bought for $10 and a beer?

January 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. zzzzzz

@TCM

you got issues... maybe you need to discuss your anger with a therapist. give dr. phil a call.

January 6, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. TCM

ANDREW – oh, I see...Obama and ACORN can play the race card to win the White House, and I can't say, NAPPY?" Hurt your feelings? Well, I'm not one that sold the country out. FACE IT...all of you libs...Had Obama been white, or claimed to be white, he wouldn't have been elected...you all like shiny new novelties.....you'll tire as soon as the first tax increase hits you in the future...

January 6, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Robin

TCM,

I read Band of Brothers, as well as Dick Winters' memoir. All I can say is, thank you.

We can't let our great nation go down in flames.

January 6, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Ghost

TCM, You are hilarious. What exactly have you questioned about Obama that is worth listening to? I challenge you to ask 10 white folk why they didn't vote for Obama and I bet you at least 5 of the answers will involve the words, Wright, muslim, socialist, citizen and black. Yes, black, as many in PA and VA admitted on air that they would never vote for a black man. Matter of fact, can you do it? Seriously, don't peek and look anything up 1st.

How is is wife racist? Ohhh, you meant she's not a patriot. OK, another sound point for you.

Rev Wright....Rev Hagee.....We call that a push round here.

And for the record, if Obama makes it thru a speech without sounding like a Hooked on Phonics graduate, he'll have already been a better president than Bush.

January 6, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |