January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Jack E. Jett

Stepford Wife #795B38

January 5, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Proud American

I would love to read it, but if she mention George once I'm trashing it.

January 5, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. Texas Teacher

Does anyone seriously think that she is going to reveal anything important. Recall this is the woman who said she was NOT AMUSED that shoes were thrown at her husband.... the athlete. I'm sorry I thought she was a pretty sharp tack in the box until that article... :(

January 5, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. chuck

WHAT MEMOIR? A MEMOIR ABOUT THE CROOK AND STUPIDITY OF HUSBAND GEORGE W BUSH .OH! I FORGOT THE DRUGS ALSO. LAURA YOU ARE JUST AS GUILTY AS GEORGE.BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. ALL THE BUSHES SHOULD BE IN JAIL.

January 5, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  5. A Woman In California For Obama

Will she tell about her attempted murder?

January 5, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. Justin from New Haven, CT

How I Survived Being Married to the Worst President Ever: A Laura Bush Story.

January 5, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  7. Bill A

who cares to learn more about her husband?

January 5, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  8. CJ

Who cares ! And that is what Bush did to the American people!

January 5, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  9. Joe the Drummer

Bush actually performed flawlessly as president, he made the top 1 percent much wealthier than before he took office and that was his only goal. Mission Accomplished George !

January 5, 2009 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  10. Michael

That title probably should have read, "Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir...for George"

January 5, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  11. TCM

proud American(?) once again, educate yourself about Bush. Once your boy Obama's in office...he'll continue to write books full of nothingness, just like his speeches. Perhaps he'll have a contrasting opinion in there about how bad whitey is...from his wife or Rev Wright....
    IT's amazing how you libs are just so spiteful; to the point you've elected a total ZERO when it comes to competence...see the way he's dancing around issues already? Heck, Laura Bush if far more qualified to be president than your nappyheaded rookie.

January 5, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. mike

AS IF ANYONE COULD BELIEVE ANYTHING THESE PEOPLE SAY AS THE TRUTH!!!!!!!! What's the "intimate details" Probably which outfit she wore for press dinners. STOP BUYING IN TO THIS RIDICULOUS ADMINISTRATION , WIVES AND ALL

January 5, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  13. Lydia

How do you spell boring?

January 5, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  14. Kate

We've had 8 years of his point of view. I think I know all I need to at this point.

January 5, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  15. Roshonde

oh my, how touching, brings tears to my eyes. and I am sure all proceeds will be donated to the Jeb Bush presidential campaign

January 5, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  16. Dot Livengood

I wonder if the proceeds will be donated to a wonderful cause that involves children. I feel they have enough money to live in Dallas in the area they are going-so money wouldn't be an issue I'm sure. I would like to see her donate the money to schools in AMERICA that are in need of extra help for buying books and hiring the teachers to teach children to read . It is the basis of the survival of learning. We will have to wait and see what she does. I don't care about George.

January 5, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  17. The American Way

How to make money after your spouse has been fired.

January 5, 2009 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. LibertyBelle

I guess all you Bush-bashers think that Hillary's book – Living History – was a masterpiece. Bwaaah haaa haaa!!!! Who am I kidding? Y'all haven't read a book since grade school.

January 5, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  19. Sherrol in Canada

Don't they have enough money already?

January 5, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  20. Andrew

It's unbelievable how many people are going to trash the first lady.

If you don't like George W....that's one thing, but it's appauling to treat Laura Bush in a negative way in an attempt to get back at her husband.

January 5, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. Happy 2009!!

WHO CARES!!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  22. Sherrol in Canada

@Proud American January 5th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

I would love to read it, but if she mention George once I'm trashing it
    -------------------------------–

You would have already wasted your money guy!

January 5, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  23. ABG

Laura Bush is great.

It is a good thing she will have a lucrative book deal since it is doubtful anyone will want anything to do with George.

January 5, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  24. should be a comic book

I saw a PBS show about the Bush dynasty

really don't see a reason for them to tell their story, definately have no results to show for it, recession, we're mired in a civil war etc

what a disgrace the Bushes are

January 5, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  25. agnes

Laura Bush will no doubt go down in history as a First Lady with the least amount of influence on a President. How else could Bush have screwed up as many times as he did? No one will read her book.

January 5, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |