January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. donna

TCM: so what if blacks voted for Obama because he is black? who cares? it's not like blacks have had a choice to vote for a minority in the past..if that was their sole reason for voting for him WHO CARES?that is their business and you have no right to criticize them for it...grow up...

Geesh..the election was a MONTH AGO...move on....or move out of the country!!!

January 6, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. Viet Vet

Title? My Pet Goat!

January 6, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. Jane

I have a lot of respect for Laura Bush she is elegant and poised. I wish her the best in her future endeavours.

January 6, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. Ian

"The complete idiot's guide to being president"

January 6, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. laura

Who cares what this woman says? Even contemplating marrying an idiot like Bush, shows what a moron she was and is. She should have set him loose years ago. But then again, it's nice having money.

She could not possibly say anything of interest. She wasn't even an active First Lady. What a waste.

January 6, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. jeremy

GOOGLE "BERRY SEAL" AND SEE HOW THE BUSHES PARTICULARLY GEORGE SENIOR AND HIS INVOLVEMENT IN THE TRADE FOR WEAPONS FOR COCAIN FROM COLUMBIA! BTW HERES A GOOD TITLE FOR HER BOOK"FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY"

January 6, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Flash news

@Jeff B.He lost support for the war when we found out there werent any wmds and the intelligence was fabricated.he DIDNT catch Bin Laden.Keep drinking your coolaid kid.

January 6, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. Jim in MN

TCM,

Article II, Section 1 of the US Constitution states that "No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."

So in fact Obama is qualified along with the vast majority of the working population. Everything else you are spouting off about would only contribute to how good or how bad a president Obama, or anyone else for that matter, would be. And just because some has lead other soldiers in the field of battle does not mean they are a good leader. I think the soldiers under the command of General Custer at his last stand would argue against you on that point.

And frankly I never want to see a Walmart greeter as president, no offense to Walmart greeters.

January 6, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  9. arc, Lugano CH

Nick from NH January 5th, 2009 11:37 pm ET
    1.20.09 is not the end of an error, you kool-aid drinkers, it's the beginning. Palin 2012
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You'd have as much luck finding anything intelligent in Palin's policies as trolling through Victoria's Secret catalogs hoping to find a picture of her.

Nick, she just spent $150,000.00 at the store, she's not in the catalog!

You ‘Country First’ redneck pervert!

January 6, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. jra

All of you are illiterate morons.

January 6, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. Reality Check

This woman is the worst first lady ever. No do nothing, just like her husband.

January 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. Guy

Dear diary, today in a speech my husband made me ashamed of him again.

January 6, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Cheri NW Arkansas

**YAWN***

January 6, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  14. RLE

TCM you are an idiot and you know it. Get over it your president and my president is a black man and if you don't like it too bad the only thing you can do is move and come back in 8 years to a better America. If Bush had 1/8 the amount of intelligence as President-elect Obama we would not be in half of the mess we are in

January 6, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. Brian From Fort Mill, SC

Laura Bush should write a book about her husband.

She could call it: "It Takes A Village Idiot!"

January 6, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. Thomas

"“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies..."

Since one of the definitions of consequential is "Pompus, Self-important", I would agree with this calling bush one of our country's most sonsequential president.

January 6, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. dEMOBRAT

January 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. dEMOBRAT

Laura Bush has a Master's Degree in Library Science form The University of Texas @ Austin. She was a schoold teacher, not a dummy. Thanks for playing uninformed idealogue lovers of Obama. Maybe you should read a book or two before commenting on issues you know absolutely nothing about! !!!!!!!

January 6, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. Jack in Florida

Hey Jeff B......you are a courageous man to still support George Bush. I did not vote for him either time he ran because the Office of the President of the Unites States did not belong to the Village Idiot! I unfortunately was in the minority but history will prove to me I voted correctly. This man will be shown to be the worst President in History.....even worse than Nixon!

January 6, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  20. JJ12345

CT_Buda January 6th, 2009 12:04 am ET

Like the Bushes *need* the money. How vain! How about NO book deal because we don't need to feed our Republican ego.
    __________________________________________________
    Certainly the Obama's dont need the money, you feel the same about their many books they have written?

January 6, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. phyllis

TCM...YOU SAID IT ALL...THEY DIDN'T PRINT MY RESPONSE, I WAS A LITTLE TO GRAPHIC WITH MY CHOICE OF WORDS...

January 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. JJ12345

Iraq? – Obama is one of the few who can claim he was against it.
    ____________________________________________________
    Easy to claim since he never had to decide to vote for it or not.

January 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. JJ12345

Joe January 6th, 2009 10:01 am ET

W was not a good man. A good man would use the power of the office to help people
    ____________________________________________________
    You mean like all the aid to Africa?

January 6, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. TCM

Proud American – funny about my parents...my dad a member of the coveted BAnd of Brothers, that defended this country, as I did to let whiny wimps like you claim to be an American...well, all I can say is at least I know who my parents are....

January 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. TCM

Jim in MN

Correct he meets the minimum requirements...Congratulations...you've hired the minimally qualified person...the Wal-Mart greeter was over qualified, when compared to Obama....haha..trying to cite the law to me....clown..

January 6, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |