January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. AJ IN ND

NICK FROM NH= Are you saying palin is smarter than michelle obama. hmmmmmmmm ,let me think. harvard grad with honors( FIRST LADY MRS OBAMA), or SARAH FALIN who took 5yrs to get a four year degree from "IDAHO" a school my daughter turned down. I'll have to get back to you on that one . you betcha. wink.LOL

January 6, 2009 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  2. Stupid Bush-Haters!

I think it's funny how a lot of you are claiming that you wouldn't read her memoir if it was the last thing on this Earth. Yet, this article seems to have caught your attention, and it was only mentioning her memoir!! You Bush-Haters are just morons!! LMFAO

Go get a life, you idiots.

January 6, 2009 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  3. Improvement is on the way.

Improvement is on the way and not too soon. Laura, give it up for crying out loud. Haven't you got the message yet? Your own party didn't even like him. This idiot was a total disaster.

January 6, 2009 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  4. Beverly in NC

I can't think of anything more boring than Laura Bush and anything she could possibly say. She and her criminal husband should just disappear and let us recover from the disaster they left us in.

The only thing I want to read is Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld being sentenced to life in prison for all the crimes they committed while in office and for all the innocent soldiers and Iraqi citizens they killed for a lie.

January 6, 2009 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  5. Hillary B.

I wonder if Mrs. Bush is going to be completely honest in writing about her life and marriage. I think if she really puts it all out on the table, her book will be a hit. Also, I must say that after reading previous comments to other stories on this ticker I am appalled by the blatant racism. If CNN is going to allow people to post comments to stories, then the moderation process needs to be revamped. People shouldn't be allowed to spew their hatred and bigotry on this website.

January 6, 2009 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  6. Chef Chris

no one cares, nothing will change and if you idiots elect palin in 2012 you guys will have to apply for visa and brain scans to travel to europe!

January 6, 2009 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  7. KDA

If you see what people write in these "comment sections" I believe it is absolutely the most comical perception of what main stream American medial influences use too formulate perceptions about politicians that we only elect but not personally know to judge ones character. If everyone is hear to criticize lets see that "outspoken garbage" be put to your own personal account and presidential bid to become the next President of the United States. I am neither a Democrat, Republican, or Independent, but some US citizens don't know their State Governor or even know where Iraq is on a map, can you really be so harsh in judging? Honestly?

January 6, 2009 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  8. louis

She can donate the proceeds to the families of the 4,000 soldiers and 100,000 civilians that died for nothing in Iraq thanks to her husband.

January 6, 2009 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  9. J Stuart

Please CNN you must have someting more important to print than this story.

January 6, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

I'm sure there's enough Neo-cons out there that could use a good read, LOL!!!LOL!!!LOL!!!

January 6, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. SAD SAD

To: Kingsley Obanor Good can never preoduce as much bad as President Bush did...from tourture to negligence and so many others....Rethink friend Bush is not only a bad president he wasnt any good too. Remember how he defeated McCain?
    Pls If there is any list ofgood men out there Bush can never make the 1st 5 billion

January 6, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  12. wanbligi

I don't think there is a whole lot of interest with what Laura Bush has to say. Even the CNN poll on the subject has about a 79% rating for no interest in Laura Bush's writings.

Sorry, she's tied to Dubya and a further indicator for her negative viewing.

January 6, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  13. Ray Fisher

So she gets a book deal detailing her worthlessness while Georgie ruined the world, go figure. It'll give the elderly something to read in the Social Security office after their claims are denied!!!

January 6, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. AEK

Time for that reminder folks. Read the posts for this article. Think about what they're saying, from both ends of the political spectrum. And you wonder why the world's citizens have NO respect for the people in the United States of America? It's because we have NO respect for ourselves.

January 6, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  15. Will-South Dakota

She has to make the money now, who wants to pay W to come and make a speech to them? While the rest of America is suffering the Bushes buy another house will never have to pay for anything and now the book deals come worth millions, boycott the book.

January 6, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  16. Roy

I'll wait for the TV movie with Sharon Stone playing Laura Bush.

January 6, 2009 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. James Davis

Think about it. Has there been any other president who has been through as much turmoil as GWB? Between 9/11, Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Ike....etc. Yes, he did invade Iraq BUT he had people whose jobs were to advise him on Iraq. They all felt they were doing the right thing and there were WMD's there. Plus, democrats voted for the war. Now, GWB is all to blame. Obama, I really do have a lot of respect for you. Don't know too many people who would want your job right now but someone has to do it. Plus please understand it is NOT ALL George Bush's fault.

January 6, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  18. petena

Memoir? About living with Bush, else what has she contributed that would make anyone want to read a book about her? Give me a break. Money hunger is all this is.

January 6, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  19. Big Ed

I'm really not interested in the book. Her husband has done enormous damage to the country all in the name of his oversized ego., however I do have a great deal of respect for Laura Bush as she has conducted herself with dignity and as a respectable lady.

January 6, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. mark

Unles she is going to spill the beans on Georgee boy and Condi I am not really interested ..

January 6, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. KColeman

I've also liked Laura and Jenna despite what their husband/father have done.

As for Bush, history will be the judge, not today's headlines. People forget that Lincoln and Truman were considered terrible presidents while they were in office. I don't think Bush was a good president, but I understand that if certain things play out then history will look at Bush favorably.

I also think that once everyone realizes that Obama can't wave a magic wand and fix everything then people will think, hey maybe it wasn't all Bush after all. It is not a coincidence in my opinion that everything has fallen apart once the democratic congress was elected in 2006. Again, I'm not saying Bush was a good president. Just that it wasn't all him. The whole government, including the democratic congress, is inept right now. And don't get me started on the bailouts.

January 6, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  22. Mike O'Brien

I think that First Lady Laura Bush would have made a better President than President W. Bush. George W. are you packing , yet ? Texas can't wait to get you back.., let alone the nation or the world. And yes, I would buy the book. At least First Lady Laura Bush is honest and 'not' afraid to tell the truth. Mike in Montana

January 6, 2009 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  23. Bridgette-PA

"TCM" – Is it attention your trying to get from that racist remark? Were you neglected when you were a child? Were you a sore loser throughout your life? I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for ALL Pathetic haters in this country. Let me tell you about a super Airline deal. AA has a one day, once in a lifetime bargain for one-way plane tickets to CANADA. They are 95% off which gives you a total of only $27.95. As an extra bonus, you can add as many people (haters) as you want and the price keeps going down. So, with all the haters on this blog, your one-way trip could end up being FREE :)
    GOODBYE.

January 6, 2009 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  24. Virginia

Someone out there please explain to me what "war crimes" Mr. Bush committed! If you are talking about his going into Iraq to save those people from a horrible dictator similar to Hitler, then yes, he did commit war crimes. If you are talking about the treatment of the detainees in Gitmo, then no he didn't commit war crimes. My thoughts on those lovely "detainees" is that they should have been tried and hung long ago–those with specific terrorist ties anyway. Does anyone think that our men and women who were POWs in any wars were not mistreated, tortured, beaten, and starved. And with NO regard to whether or not they had any civil rights. Give me a break–those people in Gitmo have been treated better than they would have survived in Iraq. Get off Bush's case and move on to what sort of crimes are being committed now BEFORE the new administration is sworn in. There's some news!

January 6, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  25. Cindy Shaffer

Laura Bush has been a fine First Lady. The title "Lady" is well-deserved in her case. Not all presidents' wives have been so elegant and decent (some I can name in recent years). Laura Bush has no spot or blemish on her record; she is a fine Christian woman, and she seems to strive for that excellence.

January 6, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |