January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. P. Mathew

This will probably be the first book of the George W. Bush Presidential Library that doesn't involve coloring or connect-the-dots.

January 6, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  2. AJ

The only reason this moron's approval rating are as high as they are is that she didn’t do anything so how could she be criticized? I mean really, Laura Bush has to be one of the most do-nothing First Ladies in history. Having her and her hillbilly accent and her loathsome husband out of the White House will be a relief. With any luck we never see or hear from them again!

January 6, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  3. Virginia

Hey Portlander, you can't spell either. It is memoir not memorie–use a dictionary from your library, please.

January 6, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Proud American. There is probably no one in the country with less of a right to call someone a hypocrite than you. Every day in every blog you spew the same 'I hate Republicans' crap. We get it, you're a hater, change the record already or put a sock in it.

January 6, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  5. keith douglas

See George lie.
    Lie, George, lie.
    See Laura....
    Who's Laura?
    Mrs. George, that's who!
    Spurious George?
    Yes, that's who.
    The first chapter in "My Little Golden Book, At the Big White House"
    and a fine addition to the George W. Bush 'Little Golden Book Presidential Library.'

January 6, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  6. shucks

I'm sure she is going to let us all know how wonderful a man George Bush is, how he was mistreated by the democrats, and how he will go down in history as a great president. I'm sure it will be located in the FICTION section of libraries and bookstores.

January 6, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  7. gary n.

@ Nick from NH

Sarah palin is trailer trash.

January 6, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  8. obama-mama

BUSH & THE GOOF TROOP?

January 6, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  9. obama-mama

AS THE GOVERNMENT TURNS?

January 6, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  10. Minnesotan

Finally the Bush family can have it's own bible: "Presidenting for Dummies." Good riddance to the generations of failures that is the Bush family. Thanks for the $300 billion debt George Sr., and for the $10 trillion debt, illegal war and economic crisis, Junior. Your criminal ilk will not be missed.

January 6, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  11. hdf

Two more weeks to the end of an error; the most tragic in our nation's history. I will have no interest in Laura's revisionism.

January 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Yeah right

President Bush didnt care about anyone but his fathers goals. He made sure that he finished what his dad couldnt.

January 6, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. minan59

While I have no desire to read Laura Bush's memoirs, I don't see any reason to insult her.

January 6, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  14. Jennifer

I can't wait to read the book.

January 6, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  15. Thomas, Baton Rouge, LA

DO NOT WANT

January 6, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. Meh

Laura is popular? According to whom?

January 6, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. DJ

no thanks

January 6, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. Rick in WA

These comments are proof positive that we will never come together as Americans again.

January 6, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Cynthia in MI

Will there be recipes? At least that would be useful.

January 6, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. Mike Pittsburgh

Crook ... Criminal ... I presume the people writing this have information on the trials and convictions of Bush, Cheney, Rove, etc that the rest of us do not have. Can you please inform us of the details? Or at least about the indictments, surely there must be grand jury indictments? Lacking these, since you apparently have all the evidence needed for indictments and trials sure to produce multiple convictions, please contact Pelosi and Reid. I'm sure they will even let you conduct the prosecution with all the indusputable evidence you have in hand.

January 6, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. EJ Best

I can't believe the comments I've read here! Just wait a few days and you people will turn on Obama, too. Do any of you think you could do the job of President? Times are tough, but just listen at yourselves.
    This is the highest office in the land and regardless of your limited intelligence, & regardless of who holds the office, you should respect the office & pray for the President. No where but America could the people get by with bashing our leaders like this.

January 6, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  22. Mike

Why would you not want to read her memoirs? It doesn't matter your political affiliation. Who wouldn't want to read Hillary's?
    These are interesting books, if told with honesty.

Those who bash this are simply adding to the partisan political atmosphere that they themselves claim to loathe.

Democrats are hypocrites. I've said it before and I'll never stop saying it.
    When Franken steals the election in Minnesota they cheer and say how "FAIR" it was. Had Coleman won they would have been crying foul.
    Dems, look in the mirror next time you want to know why their is so much animosity in Washington, why there is no "working together" atmosphere there, why one side absolutely hates the other. You are part of the problem and definitely not even close to being part of the cure.
    You now have YOUR president and you expect us to support him and work with him? Give me a break.
    As a lifelon Republican I will most certainly wish Obama and his team well because I don't have a choice. My future depends on his success. Unfortunately the same support wasn't provided to Bush the last eight years. He was thrown under the bus before he even took the oath of office by the extreme left partisan liberal base.
    Shame on you for your hypocrisy.

January 6, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  23. Hating just for the fun of it

If you can't say something nice...

January 6, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. Ghost

Title of the book.......

"I'm with Stupid"......

January 6, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  25. Lisa B

Unless there is a chapter titled:

My husband, the man, the big dummy...

I won't be reading it...

January 6, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |