January 6th, 2009

Laura Bush reaches deal to write memoir

The famously private First Lady will publish a candid memoir about her time spent living in the White House.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush has secured a book deal with Scribner to publish her memoir, which promises to include “intimate” details about her eight years living in the White House.

Mrs. Bush, the famously private First Lady, consistently remained popular among Americans even as her husband’s approval rating dropped lower and lower. Scribner did not announce how much it is paying Mrs. Bush for her book.

Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, won a bidding war among top publishers for the rights to publish her memoir. Scribner editor-in-chief Nan Graham, will edit the book, which is scheduled to be published in 2010.

“As a rare witness to the private moments of one of our country’s most consequential presidencies, and as a First Lady who has maintained a notable level of discretion, her memoir will provide a candid and personal perspective, and an enduring record, of the years that have already determined the course of the 21st century,” Susan Moldow, executive vice president and publisher of Scribner, said in a press release.

Maldow negotiated the contract with Washington lawyer Robert Barnett, a premier representative of famous authors like Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Lynne Cheney.

“I am very pleased to be associated with Scribner, the distinguished publishing house of so many of my favorite books,” Mrs. Bush said in a statement released by Scribner. “I look forward to working with Scribner and the Simon and Schuster team as I tell the stories of the extraordinary events and people I’ve met in my life, particularly during my years in the White House.”

President Bush has said that he wants to write a book as well, but White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said he hasn’t started meeting with publishers or making headway. When asked at a press briefing on Monday if book publishers told the President to hold off because of his low approval ratings, Perino said she didn’t know.

“I think the President will write a book that I’ll certainly want to read,” Perino said. “If his approval ratings are factoring into somebody’s decision on whether they want to buy the book, I guess they just don’t want to learn about his point of view.”

–CNN White House Correspondent Elaine Quijano contributed to this report

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Mari

I am a Democrat and disgusted with Bush & the Republicans for BANKRUPTING our Nation!

However, Laura Bush is a kind and gracious woman. She is free to write her memoir and I am .......free not to read it.

HOPE WON...........HOPE WON.........HOPE WON...........HOPE WON!

January 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Yawn- if her book is as "exciting" as her personality, it should be a real snooze.

January 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Jim Hall

Another book that we shall see at the flea markets in a dump bin for free or 25 cents. Oh wait maybe after publishing the book the publisher will ask the federal government for a bailout??????????????? What a waste of paper Jim Hall Kansas City Missouri.

January 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Terry

If the Republicans can make Ronald Reagan seem like a great president in retrospect, they can surely make W. Bush seem as good as Truman. Those people do not read history, they just make it up.

Laura Bush is the only person in this Administration whom Americans respect. She and Rice have been tapped, apparently, to rehabilitate this president's reputation.

I for one will skip the book.

January 6, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. Mari

@ My Friends let me tell you....... Bush IS not a 'good man'..... a good man does not sanction ........TORTURE.

A good man does not .......LIE in order to attack a sovereign country, Iraq!

A good man does not allow the Constitution of the United States to be trashed so his government can spy on its own citizens!

No...... "my friends...." Bush IS NOT a good man!

January 6, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. Joe

W was not a good man. A good man would use the power of the office to help people not start wars and pay billions to large companies to steal our natural resoruce, as for the book, I say that we just let Bush fade away as a bad memory

January 6, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. TCM

TO SB :
    That's what you liberal retards always say; everytime something isn't handed to minorities, but questioned, it's racist....Why don't you talk to Rev Wright and Michelle Obama about racism....face it, had Obama been ALL WHITE he'd have never been supported by the onslaught of unknowing blacks who voted merely because he's black...STOP and ask 10 blacks on the street, to cite any of Obama's policies...they may be able to mutter through 1 or 2, but the majority, probably 98% voted for him because he's black....that's RACISM.....get your definition straight before you question my crediablity...

PROUD American(??) – I'm just as qualified, no wait, I'm more qualified...I've actually lead people in the military and civilian world...and I've also accomplished things in my life...I've actually voted for something instead of "present,' and I don't have criminals for friends...So myself, along with 10's of millions of Americans, are more qualified...to lead...in fact, Wal-mart greeters have had to make bigger decisions than your boy. It just goes to show how much you and other ignorant libs bought into the con game.

so, as many times as you've been advised....in a year or so, you'll be having to "Get over," the feelings of betrayal...he's no messiah, he's a chameleon puppet, changing color to suit the need...all the while being controlled by the fools in congress....and now, his own cabinet is seeing it...wait til he has to deal with the hardnosed radical muslims...they already know he's a waffle....WOW...you made a good choice...HOPE you're PROUD....

January 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. Matt

@ Nick from NH

Palin 2012 eh? She's borderline illiterate (i.e., no, she doesn't "read them all"). So what would her book be? "Mrs. Moron Goes to Washington"?

January 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. Gail

Nobody's going to read it, much less buy it. What a shame, huh Laura? Like you'd ever tell the truth about the crimes this Administration has done. People just want all your Bushes to go away, or be thrown in prison. Your husband is an idiot and your nothing more than a robot. No wonder you're a prescription drug addict.

January 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. korkea aika

laura bush may appear to be soft-spoken and demure, but I suspect she is equally dispicable as her husband. Unlike him, her role would not lead to a war crimes conviction in the Hague. To me, she is an Eva Braun type character, enabling her husband to 'feel normal' as he sheds blood from texas prisions to Iraq. Good riddance!

January 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. LIBERAL FOR LIFE

Bush was not the best president but he did do some good like the No Child Left Behind program. Good luck with your book! I will be sure to purchase one.

January 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

The memoir should include the attribution of the recent Palestinian blood flow to her husband.

January 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. Rhian

Another politician or semi-politician bellying up to the trough with a memoir. Nothing to see here, folks, just another Clinton/Greenspan/insert-random-memoir-writing-politician-here making a few bucks off the fame on the way out the door.

January 6, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Matt

@ EJ Best, who said

"No where but America could the people get by with bashing our leaders like this."

Exactly. That was the whole point in 1776. I'm NOT checking my freedoms at the door in favor of political accord. How about you?

January 6, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  15. Robin

Texas Teacher,

She loves her husband and was not happy when shoes were thrown at him. That shows pure dedication. Something you libs are not accustomed with.

January 6, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. Erika, KS

Save your breath, Laura, nobody cares what you say or what you write about.

January 6, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

Her book will be just so much of nothing. If you want to read something,read about "w"s two other brothers- marvin and neil !!! forget about jeb, google up "marvin pierce bush" and "neil bush".....truly,truly,....no more bush's

January 6, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. dick johnson

please take you man and go to texas deep in texas so that we can rty and forget his 8 year night mare, we want to foget the bush name. wh cares what she has to say

January 6, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  19. Lorraine Hynes

Who would pay 1 cent to read anything Laura Bush writes? Her husband's last 8 years' events are already chiseled in stone and I cannot imagine anything that Laura has to say would hold my interest for more than 5 minutes. Contrary to the publisher's comments, she is not 'immensely popular'.

Good lord. I guess George didn't earn quite enough off our backs, huh?

January 6, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  20. Brian

Nobody cares what this dingbat has to say. The only American dumber than her is her imbicile husband. Good riddance to these colossal morons, let's finally close this chapter on American politics at its absolute worst.

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  21. Laverne

It will be a BORING MEMOIR because she won't tell the truth about her husband and the administration and though I like Laura Bush, she is not the most exciting person I would waste my time reading about.

January 6, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  22. wendell

you people bashing president bush and laura are disgusting. you hate for hates sake. there is not one ounce of integrity in you. you should fall on your knees everyday and thank GOD for a man like george bush who kept us safe from your buddies the islamic terrorist who you love and the terrorist hate america almost as much as you.

January 6, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Ghost

Get over yourselves. Mike, you have got to be kidding me. Why would anyone support Bush and his whacked out schemes? The dems in congress supported Bush on the war in Iraq, so to say he received no support from the other side of the aisle is incorrect. But no one can do much to defend Bush's legacy. Most of his ideas weren't even supported by his own party members. They have turned on him worse than many democrats have in the past few months. Face it, no matter how much you wanna cheerlead, the man was not a good president. That fact that it is a very tough job should probably mean you should elect someone who can actually handle it, not someone you have ot make excuses for.

January 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. Geno

Bush didn't get thrown under the bus. He left the bus on neutral and got hit by it himself when he got out. Yes, Bush was at a disadvantage because of the events that happened, but it's the way he handled it is why people don't like him. I'm sure he would've been an awesome drinking buddy, but where did that get us? Btw, the book should be titled "I'm with Stupid". I'm ashamed to have served under Bush. There is such a thing as serving your country and President, but that is no excuse for being ignorant of that President's incompetence. Otherwise, I guess we could use the same excuses the Germans used about "just following orders". I swear people can be so dumb, and ignorant.

January 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. MONTREAL

Wow,

and i thought Americans were nice deep down.

( and this is AFTER the elections)

January 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |