January 6th, 2009

Obama to announce new reform post

President-elect Obama will name his Chief Performance Officer Wednesday, CNN has learned.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday will announce his selection for the role of "chief performance officer," a newly created position that will work to scrub the federal budget and reform
government, a Democratic official told CNN.

The person will "help put us on a path to fiscal discipline," the official said.

1. Lyndon from CA

Sorry, but I was born in Missouri. Show me the path to this so called fiscal discipline.

January 6, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. SMR

After what Bush did to policies and our Contsititution, this will be a full time job for sure. PE Obama has a great mind and will do his best to make our Goverment run more smoothly and more efficient. Thank You PE Obama!!!

January 6, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. No Hillary = No Obama

I think Obama has a repressive streak in him or a control issue or maybe he's just a meglomaniac in sheep's clothing. I think he wants to control the universe – boy is he is for a shock.

January 6, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Sherrol in Canada

Fiscal discipline is needed yes, but are we on the verge of bigger government?

January 6, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Proud American

Once again it's takes a intelligent democrat to get the job done right. Thank You Mr. Obama, I know most Americans would agree with me that you were a godsend. We love you.

January 6, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. proudliberal-independent

i dont get it. what the hell does that mean?

January 6, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. Ralph

Wow. Accountabiilty. Banning earmarks.

I wonder if Sean Hannity and all of his followers will be issuing a formal apology to President Elect Obama for the hateful rhetoric.

Obama is giving every indication that he was the best choice and will be one of our best and wisest presidents. Brilliant selection, America.

January 6, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  8. No Incumbents 2010

And my first act toward fiscal discipline: Hire more Bureaucrats.

January 6, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  9. Proud American

No Hillary = No Obama January 6th, 2009 8:05 pm ET

____________________________________________________
    Is it possible that maybe your just a uninformed Idiot?

January 6, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. ga.

good luck pe obama.

January 6, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  11. janet, ohio

Is it just me, or does he look sort of mentally challenged in this particular photo?

Not trying to be mean, I realize the man is briiliant, just sayin' it's a really bad photo.

January 6, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  12. Bill

Is this the first of those 3,000,000 jobs he will create or "retain"? By the way, how can a "retained" job be documented? Guess he doesn't have to. All he has to do is say so and it becomes fact.

January 6, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  13. Jeff Brown

Sounds like a good start... YOU GO BARACK!

January 6, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. REG in AZ

God if it can only work; if it can only get real support without resistance or deception. I suppose we can hope, but real bypartisan support for reform including curtailing pork-barrel spending – wow, that would really be something.

January 6, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  15. bluehawk

I'm so proud that we elected Barack Obama to be our President. He is thoughtful, rational, strong, and speaks good English. Wow, I love him and what he stands for.

January 6, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  16. Albo58

Banning earmarks? Wow, did I over-sleep because I don't recall the president actually getting the line item veto authority! Perhaps the great Constitutionist Joe Biden can explain to Mr. Obama about the powers actually afforded to the Executive Branch when he returns from his "highly important" trip to Southwest Asia? Seriously, with Obama's record of getting earmarks when he was a senator, working with earmark hogs like Pelosi and Reid, even the blind can see this for what it is, grandstanding rubbish!

January 6, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  17. Griff

Obama's Cartoon.... Duh! Who is the new Giant???
    Jack and the Bean Stalk...

January 6, 2009 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. Matthew

This sounds like a goodd idea. Hopefully he doesn't reward some other corrupt Chicago chrony though.

January 6, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  19. Ed

Ha Ha!! Chief Performance Officer??

I thought that was Obama's job!

What would a Chief Performance Officer have to say about the gross waste of effort and expense incurred by Harry Ried's illegal blocking of Senator Burris from his seat??

January 6, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  20. Pat

Ralph January 6th, 2009 8:11 pm ET
    Wow. Accountabiilty. Banning earmarks.
    ________________________
    So just where, Ralph, did you read that Obama bans earmarks? In fact, Obama was one of the biggest earmarkers for IL while he spent his two-something days in the senate!

January 6, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. Tim

Good idea. I'm qualified, pick me.

January 6, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  22. tcaudilllg

This is amazing. For the first time in history a position has been created that only people who are interested in reform can fill successfully. Although, I imagine that it can be turned the other way around and used to reverse reforms, too. The purpose of this office will be a point of interesting contention for years to come....

January 6, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  23. Independent observer

Yeah I and I guess the reformer position will be filled by some dinosaur from the Clinton era. How about Madeleine Albright has she been given a job yet?

Talk about a snake oil sales man, that Obama sure did take you all for a long ride.

January 6, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. Bea

I love our new Prezo.

January 6, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. amt

i love the idea, & know it will be a great success, Obama a wise choice. Now find a way to get Hannity to shut up.

January 6, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |