January 6th, 2009

Richardson withdrawal disappoints Latinos

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson was a Democratic presidential contender in the primaries.

(CNN) - Bill Richardson's withdrawal from his commerce secretary nomination Sunday didn't just leave a major gap in the new administration, but it also sorely disappointed Latinos who view the New Mexico governor as their most prominent representative.

"We are hugely disappointed. It's a stunned community out there," said Janet Murguía, president and CEO of the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States.

"He is a very well-recognized leader not just in the Latino community but in this country and he has a long record of public service," she said.

Full story

1. Bill Charlotte,NC

It also disappoints Anglos.

January 6, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Geno

All this talk about Obama owes these groups or this group.... BLAH. The only reason Obama considered Richardson is because he probably let the pressure get to him and wanted to "please" everyone. I'm a Hispanic, honorably discharged Marine and I'd rather have someone who is qualified versus someone who was "owed" the position. Imagine what a bigger letdown if Richardson actually won the Presidency or Secretary of State. All this stupid talk that Obama or anyone owes Latinos, blacks, or whatever, needs to stop. This is why racism will never go away, thanks to narrow minded people who feel they are entitled to things.

January 6, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Matt

@ PatC

The distinction is that the evidence isn't as blatant as something like taped conversations...i.e., this guy deserves the benefit of the reasonable doubt, whereas Blago does not.

January 6, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. Laverne

To Nestor, Austin, TX: Yes, Jeremiah Wright was his pastor. However, just because you know someone does not mean that they are your friend and anybody that say differently is RIGHT OUT LYING! If these are the only people Obama happen to know that are not to your standing then he is doing pretty good. I consider myself pretty much on the up and up when it comes to choosing people I consider a friend, but I must say I know a whole lot of people who are not necessarily ideal citizens and I do not consider them my friend. Maybe you don't kow the definition of friend which is "A PERSON WHOM ONE KNOWS, LIKES and TRUSTS.

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  5. Larry

Typical Democrat–Being investigated for NO ethics,Obama administration didn't even know this was coming after they investigated before nominating him,what if Richardson had been a terrorist,they wouldn't know that either,SCARY !!

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Sweetie

Obama and his team are showing very bad judgement with their selections for the new administration.

Latinos are not the only folks that are disapointed.

Can we have a re-do? I would like to change my vote.

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. Austin, Texas

Nestor from Austin, Tx:

The race is over an we won. If you continue to surround yourself with jealousy and vicous lies, you are only making life harder for your family, friends, and yourself. Give the President Elect an opportunity to put this country back on track and stop continuing to try and find ways to bash him!

I will continue to pray for you and those who don't believe in our new President. Let's pray for him everyday, he has a difficult task at hand.

Signed, Stay focused...

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. Howard

My goodness, neither Blogajevich nor Richardson have been found guilty of anything. Let's let the indictiments be handed down and trials take place first. While I am not feeling any change right now ,maybe Barack Obama will surprise everyone. After Bush he has a very low bar to reach. Let's at least give the man a chance to take office first before we start in on him.

January 6, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. clifford

I remember picking strawberries with the Puerto Rican's on my grandpa's farm!!

January 6, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. EMJ

Nestor, hey in case you missed it the election and all the silly season distractions are over so move on. I'm in Chicago and we know the guilt by asociation names you list are not as bad as the national media organizations like FOX want you to believe. Please, please list a single illegal action taken by President Obama. Let me guess, you still think Obama is a secret Muslim out to destroy America as well as the Anti-Christ right? Tony Rezko, what law did Obama break? Fr. Pfleger made some snide comments about Hillary Clinton. What's the crime there? What law has he broken? Although you won't, think of a bad statement or crime someone you have met or might know slightly has made and then tell us if you are responsible for their actions? Politicians meet tons of people throughout there careers and I don't they they should be held accountable for any illegal action or comments you don't seem to like made by those people he or she meets. It's like that Kevin Bacon linkage thing. I'm sure Obama is tied somehow to Kevin Bacon.

January 6, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Frank

I don't blame Hispanics for wanting increased representation and visibility, but in this case we should all direct our disappointment at Richardson himself.

January 6, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  12. a new year

i hope he will be cleared of any wrong doing.

January 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Cindy Shaffer

The Latinos should be more careful whom they support. Richardson turned out to be a snake, although a grinning one. He supported Hillary all the way until Obama offered him a cabinet position for his support. And now, we see that Obama and Richardson knew all along about Richardson's legal problems but Obama appointed him anyway and got burned. Personally, I have liked Richardson who seems like a reasonable democrat, but, you see, even democrats can be deceiving for political reasons.

January 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. proudliberal-independent

i'm not latino, but, i am disappointed. he was one of the few picks i liked, until Panetta and the new intelligence team was announced.

January 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. 8 years is enough

Cabrera ,Daniel where did you get your degree in knowing everything ? NOT
    You must be able to see Putin from your front porch ?

January 6, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. Don Woolsey

Another administration, new faces of corruption

January 6, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. dan in NM

Don't dismay – Richardson just landed the role of Ralph Kramden on the new "Honeymooners". He'll attain new symbols of high office, including the coveted racoon hat, and gold epaulets. The only people who should be disappointed are the people of New Mexico – we all thought we had finally gotten rid of "The Great One" (bam – zoom – to the moon !)

January 6, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. Nora L in CA

Good Riddens to JUDAS.

Anyone who betrays old friends cannot be trusted.

Richardson is the one who said Super Delegates should support the winner of their state, even though Hillary Clinton won the New Mexico primary and even though Bill Clinton gave Richardson every opportunity in life – he turned around and endorsed Obama at a time that hurt the Clinton campaign.

He cannot be trusted – even Obama can see that.

I hope the good people of NM get rid of this Judas.

January 6, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  19. Brian

Obama= culture of corruption!

January 6, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  20. OC

There are many other well qualified Latino politicians with integrity who don't have the spotlight Richardson has.

January 6, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. Ghost

My goodness!!! And they say black folk have a sense of entitlement.

No disrespect to hispanc people, but give me a break. The man appointed three hispanics, one fell off. And you have the nerve to complain? Richardson should've gotten a higher appointment? Based on what? Being hispanic?

January 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. Cindy in NM

Richardson does not appear to be involved in shady dealings. At least he has enough forsight and integrity to not accept the appointment. He is far more qualified than Hilliary Clinton to be the sec of state but that was a dope deal that Clinton bought his wife. I believe that Hilliary has a conflict with the "donations" that Bill recieved for his library and charities while she was a NY senator (mall contracts, etc). Hilliary Clinton has a vast amount of improprieties in her record from the time she was the first lady of AR, first lady of the US, and NY senator. Lets see do you think she would have the courtesy to resign and not make fodder for Obama?? I think not. As for Bill Richardson is a role model for all of our state's people not just the Hispanic community.

January 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Ann

If Latinos are upset only now, maybe they should consider a lot of the other non Latinos who were disgusted with his behavior in throwing Hillary Clinton under the proverbial bus to jump on the Obama bandwagon which appeared to be nothing but an opportunistic move to advance his own career especially when it was mentioned he hoped to possibly be the VP choice. My disgust right now is that this investigation is nothing new so why did he accept the position in the first place?

January 6, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. chris (hartford, ct)

We should pick the best person for the job, regardless of who they are. I liked Richardson and thought he'd be a good VP candidate as well, but the idea that we need to have every crayon in the box as part of the new administration is ridiculous. People are diverse and they come in more than 3 colors. I mean, where's my representation? I'm a 27 yr old married home owner with a stable job watching my future get sold out so the corporate officers of AIG can keep the party going. Where's the "Under 30 Czar" ?

January 6, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. Tim

Circus music, circus music, I love circus music.

January 6, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |