January 6th, 2009

Cheney swears in Biden

Cheney swore in Biden to the Senate Tuesday.
Cheney swore in Biden to the Senate Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The disputes over the Illinois and Minnesota Senate seats are stealing the spotlight, but there was other notable moments on Capitol Hill during today's swearing in of the 111th Congress.

The most interesting picture of the day was Dick Cheney swearing in the man that will soon replace him as vice president, Joe Biden. As sitting vice president, Cheney presides over the Senate - and Biden is not only vice president-elect, but the newly re-elected senior senator from Delaware. He'll give that position up come January 20, when he takes the vice presidential oath of office.

Two other senators who get sworn in today will most likely soon be stepping down as well. Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York has been nominated by President-elect Barack Obama to serve as his secretary of state. And Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado has been nominated by Obama to serve as secretary of the interior. Both will resign their seats if confirmed to their new positions, as expected, by the Senate.

1. BS not Maverick

Joe is getting ready to slap the smile off of his face!

January 6, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Proud American

I personally think that the whole Bi-partisan thing is a myth.

January 6, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Pat Omaha, NE

Why is my comment in "moderation" while others after me are published? I didn't say anything "nasty"....

January 6, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Carol

@ TCM
    Perhaps you missed it. 9/11 happened on Bush and Cheney's watch. I don't know about safe, but I do feel violated – my civil and constitutional rights have been systematically taken away in the name of safety by those two clowns.

…and speaking of clowns, not sure what your reference to gansta rap and bling has to do with this

January 6, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  5. Guy

When do we see Cheney in court for war crimes?

January 6, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  6. Mobius

Criminals swearing in criminals? Won't that create a black hole?

That's like dividing by zero.

January 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Jeremy

I agree...the moderation of the comments is completely rediculous CNN... tons of message boards moderate their forums more effectively than you ....

Get rid of the morons who can't spell or form complete sentences.
    Get rid of the moderators who don't do their jobs.
    Don't censor those who know how to write!

January 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Jeremy

Lip: Cheney has nothing to do with how the senate functions. You must be as stupid as sarah palin.

January 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  9. Apples for sale

Dick will look so handsome in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit on 2/24/2009.

January 6, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. DX in TX

Wouldn't it be cool if Joe Biden hauled off and punched Vice President Cheney right in the kisser!
    SMACK......that's for manipulating church leaders!
    SMACK......that's for scaring the American public with terror alerts!
    SMACK......that's for using gay marriage as a distraction from the greed that has placed us in a recession!
    DOUBLE SMACK...that's for,well, that's for being Dick Cheney!

I can dream right!

January 6, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Matt

I doubt that this was awkward at all. You may love or hate one or both of them but they are professional politicians. At their level I'm sure that they are way past awkard moments.

January 6, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. chuck

How could a CRIMINAL swear in anyone? Cheney should be in JAIL with George Bush.

January 6, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. KYWildcat

To Chris:
    "Obama was born in Kenya folks and he is ineligable to be president—not to mention, too inexperienced."

Show me the Proof!!!!!!!

How many times do IDIOTS like you need to be told that he is a US citizen. The Supreme Court won't even hear any lawsuits regarding this. so give it up, your man lost and there is nothing you can do about it!!!

January 6, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Steve

Mike in Canada,

1. You understand how the US government works? Most Americans don't!
    2. Every crime in the book? Whose book? What proof do you have or are you just spouting unsubstantiated rumor?

January 6, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Dave, Central Illinois

Hey, Mike from Canada, who cares!
    Hey, Marilyn from Powell Ohio, no Bill Clinton did not. Remember the first bombing of the World Trade Center? Then, our embasies and finally the Cole.

January 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. Drew

It is obvious that many of you see the world in a binary format–Cheney is evil, Obama is good, Rove is evil, Gore is good, Bush is evil, Biden is good, etc. That sort of thinking is emblematic of a lack of judgment and intellect.

January 6, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. DX in TX

Oh I forgot one important smack for Cheney!

SMACK...that's for profitting off a war that killed American soldiers and countless civilians.

Ok, I feel better now!

January 6, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Jim

Wrongo, Flash. I have worked in education (both middle and high school) for almost eight years and I can tell you without a doubt that the kids a sharin' their lovin' for Obama. They can't tell you why... but they'll gladly tell you that "Bush Sucks." If you press them why, you might get a gem like "P. Diddy said so with Rock the Vote!!"... but more often than not, you'll get something more like "I dunno... he just does." God bless the liberal media machine.

January 6, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. chuck

WHAT DOES SCOOTER LIBBY AND DICK CHENEY SOON HAVE IN COMMON? YOUR ANSWER---GUILTY OF CRIMES (PRISONERS)

January 6, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Peter

Now, now, everyone... at least Cheney didn't flip him off (or give the finger to the entire Senate when he was done).

January 6, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. LT

Sarah Palin was ok when she said the VP is president of the Senate. It was her embellishment of that role that was the problem. While I understand she was speaking to a child (it was a child who asked the question), she shot herself in the foot by trying to make the role more than what it is. My guess is she really thought what she said was the real job of the VP but it is not.

January 6, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. old citizen

Urgent ; Run for your lives! Congress is back !!!

January 6, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. TCM

still searching for true equality in america – obviously you have failed, as many liberals have, to have a grasp on the real world....so, to respond to you, and try to explain national security issues...well, you just don't get it.

January 6, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  24. Brian From Fort Mill, SC

mike January 6th, 2009 12:29 pm ET

Hey i am from Canada, and let me tell you this, we just can't understand how Americans sat around for the last 8 yrs. and allowed Cheney and Bush to pretty much commit every crime in the book. I
    -----------------
    Sad, isn't it? I've been asking that question since day one.
    Personally, I voted for Gore, Kerry and Obama.

January 6, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Amber

I can't wait till that gargoyle is escorted in chains to his waiting cell at Danbury minimum security prison...

January 6, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |