January 7th, 2009

Bush heading to Texas on Inauguration Day

The President and First Lady will attend a welcome home event in Midland, Texas on Inauguration Day.

(CNN) –- The White House said Wednesday President Bush will go directly to Midland, Texas after leaving Washington on Inauguration Day.

White House spokesperson Dana Perino said the President and First Lady Laura Bush will leave Andrews Air Force Base, and fly to Midland for a “welcome home event” in Centennial Plaza on the town square. They will fly on one of the jets he used as Air Force One during his presidency, though it will have a different designation that day.

Midland was the site of his send-off rally when he left for Washington before taking office in January 2001. The president lived in Midland as he was growing up, and it is the first lady’s hometown.

The President and Mrs. Bush will then fly to Waco, and go to their ranch in Crawford for the first night after leaving the White House.

Filed under: Inauguration • Laura Bush • President Bush • Texas
  1. carol

Bye!!!

January 7, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. Jim

And so, having looted, gutted and otherwise plundered his native land, our intrepid yet brainless hero rides off into the sunset.

Hi-ho, Clueless! Away!

January 7, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. Proud American

I knew that Jan 20th was going to be an emotional day for me, but it looks like I have already started crying. Saying goodbye to an Idiot has never been easy for me, dear God please help me get through this. I know in my heart that America is losing it biggest Idiot President in the history of this country and it's going to be real difficult for all of use to get use to having Intelligence in the White House. But, with time I hope some of my pain will decrease, but I can tell you I'm going to miss this little Idiot of a President.

January 7, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Michael (Nashville, TN)

As the late, great Ray Charles sang, "Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more, no more, no more."

January 7, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. Michael (Nashville, TN)

So that's the village who's idiot is missing.

January 7, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. Lisa

Apparently, the village has been missing its idiot all these years. I guess they deserve him back, then.

January 7, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. Proud American

What do you give an Idiot President for a going away present?

January 7, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. Steve

Say what you will and what you must. On Jan 20th, we will have worse in there. I just hope my govt check is enough so that I don't have to join the sweeping crime wave of the next four years.

January 7, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Rick

The level of hate here is the kind of "Change We Can Believe In"?

January 7, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. Oliver

Nice job everyone. So far we've got "good riddens" and "good riddings" but no one has said "good riddance" which is the actual phrase. So you're not only fired up about posting meaningless hatred – you've done it with no concern whatsoever for looking intelligent. Double bravo.

January 7, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Kim

I can't WAIT to wave goodbye and watch him get on that plane. It'll be the BEST thing he's done in the last eight years.

January 20 is going to be a great day!

January 7, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Jean, Indiana

First of all, Jan you are stupid if you think the Bush administration was successful. It pains my eyes to look at the Bushes. They have ruined this country and now they are off to live happily ever-after in Texas. Now this is something that Americans should be pouting about. The Blagojevich and Burris story is nothing compared to Cheney and Bush. Only in America do red-neck complain about unfounded rhetoric. Bush and Cheney should be beginning their prison sentences.

January 7, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. NEL E BELL

HURRY UP YOU DIP STICK, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YA ON THE WAY OUT. THANKS FOR THE MESS YOU'VE LEFT US TO PICKUP. THANKS FOR THE CONFIDENCE THAT I NO LONGER HAVE IN THE GOVERNMENT I FINANCE. HERES' HOPING THE RETIREMENT YOU GET AND HAVE STOLEN FROM MOST OF YOUR GENERATION IS LONG AND BORING. YOU STINK AND CHENEY, IS NOW FREE TO SPEND HIS HALIBURTON STOCK OPTIONS.

January 7, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. Dean from Dallas

Now Dallas will known as the site of two presidential tragedies.

January 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. D-MI

Good lord he looks like an imbecile in that hat...

January 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Newport News, VA

If I were President Obama, I will wait a few days before conducting any business in the Oval Office. I will have the White House staff open up all the windows to make sure all of the stupidity is aired out.

January 7, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. President Barack Obama

Thats not the only place he's going!!

January 7, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. KG

"Cue the Liberal nut job posts in 3, 2, 1 ….."

Haven't heard from too many "liberal nut jobs", just your average Americans who are very excited to see Bush leave.

January 7, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Rob B.

He may be one of the worst Presidents in our nation's history, but he is not a bad man. I wish him well, and hope others would do the same. Oh, and I am not a "liberal nutjob" because I think he was a bad President. I just happen to not have slept through the last 8 years,

January 7, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  20. dreams?

@Noah,have you become the moderator or is that your lifes ambition?Your on this blog 24/7 and use about 100 names while spewing your Rush Limbaugh sound bites. Why dont you go out and look for a job,or are you collecting welfare too?

January 7, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Daino

Bush going back to the bush. Finally.

January 7, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. Dee

He should be going to trial for war crimes instead of going back to Texas. He's a criminal in so many ways.

January 7, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Shame on you.

War Criminal.

He has broken our country, our economy and our military personnel will no doubt suffer for decades to come as a result of Bush's implementation of torture methods. As someone with a loved one currently serving his 3rd tour of duty in Iraq – I'm very offended by the notion that this misguided aggression against a soverign nation that did not attack us has kept us safe.

Those of you defending him are seriously in need of evaluating the facts. Crediting Bush with the fact that we have been kept "safe" is like crediting the captain of the Titanic for avoiding icebergs after it sunk. But hey – tell yourselves what ever you have to so that you don't have to admit you made a mistake in voting for him or believing his lies or having any responsibility for the thousands of dead American military personnel and innocent Iraqi citizens.

If we so cared about democracy, why have we sought to destroy our own?

And yes, northside Irish, you are right – jr. is NOT from Texas, contrary to what the put on accent would suggest.

January 7, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. A Woman In California For Obama

I have never been a Bush Basher but as of today, I am. What he did regarding the Blair House is disgusting. I hope they NEVER return to Washington in any capacity. Having said that-good riddance!

January 7, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. Virginia

For all the naysayers here I say that I can't wait till January 20 either, because we are then less than 4 years closer to being RID of Obama!! He can have a "welcome home" rally in Grant Park again, only this time the park will be empty!!

January 7, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |