January 8th, 2009

Bush Delivers Final Policy Speech with Few Watching

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) - Twelve days before he leaves office, President Bush delivered his final policy speech, choosing to focus on his signature education reform law known as "No Child Left Behind."

But as he spoke, television networks – including CNN – carried another address happening simultaneously: President-elect Barack Obama's speech on the ailing US economy.

"At the end of the presidency, you get to do a lot of 'lasts,'” Mr. Bush noted in his remarks at a school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

"This is my last policy speech. As President of the United States, this is the last policy address I will give," Bush said.

"What makes it interesting is that it's the same subject of my first policy address as President of the United States, which is education and education reform."

1. Dale

Just go away.

January 8, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. John

Thanks Mr. Bush. There are still millions of us who support you, regardless of what the biased media would have us believe. Even CNN's title to this article is a slight-handed swipe at you. But you are still MY President and the President to many others who actually have a brain and can think for themselves. Thank you for keeping us safe these past 7 years.

January 8, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. richard

go to hell!!!!

January 8, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. Joe Green

The whole world is watching! Oh wait, they aren't.

Seriously, though, I worry about this guy. He should be on suicide watch for the next few weeks.

After the movie "W" came out, it must be pretty embarrasing to be him.

And I'm sure he saw the movie, too.

January 8, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Connie

Thank God...his LAST.

January 8, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. Lisa Kudrow

Thank god Cant wait to you far far far away from Washington you jerk
    This country is much better off now

January 8, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. La Chatte

NCLB had nearly destroyed public education. The concept of judging the quality of education by standardized test scores is beyond bad. Shoving it down our throats WITHOUT FUNDING, then attempting to hold schools who already lack adequate funding is tantamount to criminal!

I will give you credit for protecting the oceans, but that's it. Everything else about your pathetic presidency is unacceptable. How does it feel to be a laughing stock, not only of the Dumocrats, but the Repugs as well? Even your buddy Karl mocks you.

Your 15 minutes should have never started in the first place. Go away.

January 8, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. No Incumbents 2010

If history can paint Carter's presidency as a good one, I'm sure Bush's legacy will be just fine with time.

January 8, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Ken

If Bush gets on the plane to Texas after he leaves office, then indeed there will be "No Child Left Behind".

January 8, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Morgan

Who?

January 8, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  11. Nanfisch

Who are the news media going to brow beat when George Bush et al is gone from Washington? Please, just let these people go in peace! The media would be better served to start focusing on our new President and his congress and really, really, take a closer look. They aren't perfect so I am certain you can find something to chew on for the next four years. I don't want to believe that the media is biased, but you've got to make me believe that and so far, you lose.

January 8, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. John S.

It speaks leagues about the current state of the US where the standing president gives his final policy speech and yet the media and the citizens can't be bothered to pay attention to it. I truly believe that in 20 or 30 years Bush will be considered amongst the worst presidents in US history.

January 8, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  13. Amber

Fare thee well!

Next stop, Danbury minimum security prison if there's any justice in the world...

January 8, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. Ben

You will be missed, I don't care what opponents and the media says about you. You took the fight to the enemy and the country hasn't had another take since. Thank you. You will be missed and I know that in a few years you will be looked back upon as the President that changed the world view on foreign policy and terrorism. God Bless

January 8, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Zepp

And good riddance to the worst President in history.

January 8, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. clifford

Mr.President will you please answer the call from the White House at 3:00 a.m. for Mr. Obama I like my freedom thank you!

January 8, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Fed up before it starts

Promise me that is REALLY your last policy speech!

January 8, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. mary the clerk

Now kindly go rot in hell Mr Bush....you pathetic moron. As a president you were and are a complete disaster and a disgrace to our country. I hope the memories of the 4000+ gi's who died in Iraq for your lies, live on in your mind and haunt you until your dying moment...You horrible and sorry excuse for a man.

Mary

January 8, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Pat J

Thank you, Sir, for your service to our country.

January 8, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Dayahka

A sad little man who's already an afterthought, keeps at it. This interminably disgraceful presidency is mercifully nears its end.

January 8, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. CanIcallyouJoe

There is a reason that the US has a 'president' and not a 'dictator' – we're (trying to be) a democracy!! We DO NOT LIKE dictators, Mr. Bush!!!

GET OUT.

Go back to Texas, and when you get back there, close your mouth and STAY THERE. Do whatever you want – take away civil liberties, blow up military vehicles, establish another police state – as long as you STAY THERE.

We don't mind letting the zealots and racists have Texas for them to run around in, all loud and angry because of civil rights and other modern/normal concepts; Just as long as they STAY THERE.

January 8, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  22. Working gal

I really do wish this man and his family well. He has put up with a lot of crap out of the Democrats. Sure, he's made some mistakes, mispoke occasionally, etc., BUT Nobama isn't even in office yet and has plans to spend trillions of TAXPAYERs' money and every Democrat seems to think that's just fine. Well, I'm a democrat and I don't think its just fine. I'm glad I did NOT vote for that one – you people thought Bush/Cheney caused a mess?? You just wait and see with this pompous idiot does to us.

January 8, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Janet-NY

I truly respect George W Bush who has fought against terrorists for justice, peace and freedom. Even he already knew that unpopular the Iraq war would make his popularity hit the low. Thanks to Bush's efforts, any how, Americans have safely been in a beautiful land since 9.11, 2001. The history will judge about Bush's efforts.

January 8, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  24. Cameron T. Nutt

*SHOE*

January 8, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  25. Proud American

Why waste 10 seconds of your life that you know you will never get back?

January 8, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |