January 8th, 2009

Bush Delivers Final Policy Speech with Few Watching

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) - Twelve days before he leaves office, President Bush delivered his final policy speech, choosing to focus on his signature education reform law known as "No Child Left Behind."

But as he spoke, television networks – including CNN – carried another address happening simultaneously: President-elect Barack Obama's speech on the ailing US economy.

"At the end of the presidency, you get to do a lot of 'lasts,'” Mr. Bush noted in his remarks at a school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

"This is my last policy speech. As President of the United States, this is the last policy address I will give," Bush said.

"What makes it interesting is that it's the same subject of my first policy address as President of the United States, which is education and education reform."

1. Perusing-Through

Bush is just too painful to watch.

January 8, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. boered1

@nyindependant

as an ex instructor I would say that maybe you should be a bit more careful in your work "NCLB is one of many Bush policies that has failed…just as many new it would." I believe you really meant Knew not New. Than again Since you teach in NY they still might be last I "hooked on 'fonics'" (please note it is an intentional misspelling!)

okay just had to say it I apologize if I hurt yours, or anyone else's feelings.

January 8, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. guarg

As a teacher, we would ecpect you to be able to Know which form of (K)new you are using.

January 8, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. Mike Philly

Of course the networks didn't cover it. For crying out loud, the man was IN MY TOWN and I don't even care. He's a lame duck...and somehow by the grace of God we were able to make it to this point. (Sure, we're all broke and have no retirement savings...but here we are!)

January 8, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. Mike Philly

Of course the networks didn't cover it. For crying out loud, the man was IN MY TOWN and I don't even care. He's a lame duck…and somehow by the grace of God we were able to make it to this point. (Sure, we're all broke and have no retirement savings…but here we are!)

January 8, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

let me guess his mom, the dog, Lara, and his daughters watched...

January 8, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Bill, Streamwood, IL

A failure of a president talks about a failure of an eduicational policy.

No wonder most reputable news organization coverage was elsewhere.

January 8, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. guarg

expect. Boy do I feel silly.

January 8, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  9. shanky

Hopefully we will never elect another buffoon from the state of Texas again!

January 8, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. Proud American

Life is to short to waste any of it on a little Idiot. 12 more days.

January 8, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  11. clifford

nyindependent; Do you believe that tenure should be abolished! Should teachers be tested and those that don't meet the criteria be fired?

January 8, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. Michael

Jan. 20, 2009 The end of an era................I mean error

January 8, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. Salt & Pepper

From first speech to last speech being the same...good thing NOTHING bad went on in between the two huh!

January 8, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  14. clifford

irene: You are wrong! Ted Kennedy wrote the current education bill and the total spent last year was $325 million. Throwing money at the problem and dumbing down the test scores to meet minority quota standards is not the answer either! Tenure most go as well the ability to fire poor teachers and let us not forget the most important factor of all. PARENTAL GUIDANCE!!

January 8, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. get real dude

Sorry...they're just not that into you. See ya!

January 8, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  16. Sherrol in Canada

Most people would probably say...."put a 'shoe' in it"!

January 8, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. tony

our only saving grace is bush was sooo bad he hopefully made it impossible for jeb to run for for president.

January 8, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. Laramy, NY

We've been listening to him for 8 years, and where did that get us. Thanks, but no thanks Bush, we've had enough. We're turning the page to a brighter future. See ya.

January 8, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. Lame Duck Snickerer

He's a snickerer–a lame duck snickerer.

Can we get our tax dollars back from the last 8 years. We want a do-over.

January 8, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  20. jr the ..simpleton

.............as he leaves office..he turns …and sees..

..destruction of two countries!! Iraq and the United States!!!

..put that one in your resume…!!!

January 8, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  21. get real dude

I suggest you get ready to duck down Bush. I see a lot of bare feet in the room. lol...lol

January 8, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  22. Quack, Quack

And now a word from our sponsors:

QUACK.....Bush is a lame duck. Who wants to hear him?

January 8, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  23. Down & Out in SF

Total failure... just please go away.

January 8, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. Independent_me

The man is as dumb as a brick!

January 8, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. Greg Lowe

No Child Left Behind has had the most negative impact on education of any so called "reform" that I have witnessed in my 30+ years of teaching.

January 8, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |