January 8th, 2009

Two of the first bills of the new Congress would affect Bush

Even though he has less than two weeks left in office, Pres. Bush figured in the legislation passed by Congress Thursday.

(CNN) - Two of the first bills passed by the 111th Congress yesterday had less to do with the incoming president than they did with the man he’s replacing.

One measure would amend the Presidential Records Act of 1978 to overturn President Bush’s 2001 executive order that extended the length of time that presidential records can remain sealed.

The other would require full fundraising disclosure for presidential libraries. The lack of an existing requirement became an issue for former President Bill Clinton when his wife Hillary Clinton was tapped to serve as Obama’s secretary of state.

The former president eventually opted to release the full list of donors and the size of their donations.

Both the measures, introduced by House Oversight and Government Reform committee chairman Edolphus Towns of New York, passed by overwhelming majorities.

The bills have the strong support of Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs committee chairman Joe Lieberman, who has publicly called on Bush to make both his records and the full list of contributors to his presidential library open to the public.

Similar efforts, pushed by former Oversight chairman Henry Waxman, drew overwhelming support in the House, but did not make it through the Senate, and did not have the support necessary to override a likely presidential veto.

Filed under: Congress • President George W. Bush
  1. Aarrgghh

one might argue that 9/11 happened to citizens from all countries, and was an attack on capitalism not the USA. One may also argue that these "attacks" were perpetrated by people with a vendetta against the first George Bush and may have only carried it out because of this previous grudge.I also put forth, and this is not argued by the bush administration, 911 had absolutely NOTHING to do with Iraq, period. Terrorism is defined as those keeping you frightened to achieve their goals, with that in mind I'd say that NO ONE has painted more frightening scenarios or played on our fears more than the BUSH administration, and that my friends, IS terrorism.

January 8, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. CO_Resident

If ya'll think Bush & Cheney are anything other than worthless, greedy, TRAITORS, you have not been paying attention.

Oh wait... you've been paying attention, and only understand what you want to understand.... that's it. "Our Grand Old Party" is faultless, and so is our Noble Leader!

Your kind is what is wrong with this Country.

January 8, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Aarrgghh

By the end of 2008, the federal government will have spent more than $800 billion on combat operations.... I think someone else needs a little fact check of their own

January 8, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. clifford

Mike: "TWO" terrorist attacks? Where was the second one?

January 8, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. norm

With all of the known crooks getting into the next administration if I were you 'liberals' I would be very careful about hte stones I threw at Bush. At least I would do so without letting people know who I am, the same thing will happen to you that happened after every demo said Carter would save the world. he was a disgrace and you will be too, while the rest of us LOLOLOLO. How soon we forget.

January 8, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. Dnldwd

You forgot to include the cost of all the war equipment that was manufactured to fight the two wars, as the equipment for fighting the immigration issue is included in those cost figures. This brings your total War costs well beyond a trillion dollars and that does not include the human toll, which can not be compared to immigration no more than it compares to peanut production on mars, and incidentally is priceless

January 8, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  7. barbara campbell

Good. Bush's rule to seal presidential records is anti-
    American.

January 8, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Devon Cloud

I would like to know what will go in his Library... we all know he did not read or write much... I guess he will need one file cabinet for all the news paper funnies... minus the crossword puzzle of course. Should be the cheapest library ever built.

January 8, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  9. Down & Out in SF

Now we have to undo all the damage that this idiot created.

Who would give a donation to this imbecile's library? He has single handedly wrecked our country, he just needs to away... far away.

January 8, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  10. Clint, Kentucky

freddie,

If you really want people to stop and take a breath while reading your comments, then your paragraphs need to contain more punctuation than two periods.

January 8, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. Meh

Seriously, Janet, you've already posted that. And you're still delusional.

On topic: totally hot that we can actually have access to all the LIES.

January 8, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  12. Meh

Some like it hot> You need to educate yourSELF. Your spelling is atrocious.
    Also, I'm sorry, but military intelligence says that Al Quada has only gained strength since 9/11. Not sure where you are getting your "facts" from. You think they're hiding? It's called planning.

January 8, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. EVOLVE

REVERSE EVERYTHING BUSH AND RIGHT WING REPUBLICANS PUT IN PLACE!!!

January 8, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  14. CNN = Jerry Springer of News

German,Irish American January 8th, 2009 6:20 pm ET

How about full fundraising disclosures for presdential candidates? Would the Obama supporters care to tell us where the 300 million dollars in unnamed sources came from?
    -------------------–
    I'm an Obama supporter and I'm willing to tell you where 90 dollars (in several small contributions) of the 300 million dollars in unnamed sources came from – Carol Garceau of WI.

If you did not contribute more than 100 dollars, you were not named as a contributor. This was the first time I ever donated to a campaign and would have liked to contributed more, but my check doesn't seem to go as far as it did 8 years ago when I was making 60 percent less than I do now (due to promotions earned by "pulling myself up by my bootstraps" like Republicans like to say). I am sure there are many, many more supporters out there like me who make up that 300 million.

January 8, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |