January 8th, 2009

Inauguration may be traffic, security nightmare

Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.
Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Planning to attend the presidential inauguration this month in Washington? Expect a fortress-like city busting at the seams.

An influx of nearly 2 million people is expected to hit the streets of the nation's capital alongside an unprecedented security presence for the swearing in of the nation's first African-American president.

Police will be shutting bridges across the Potomac River into Washington, along with a huge chunk of downtown D.C.

Security officials are investigating any and all potential security threats to Barack Obama.

Homeland Security officials said they have no credible reports indicating that there's any terrorist threat to the inauguration, and there are no adjustments being made to the nation's threat level.

But officials also see the celebration as a potential target because it's highly symbolic and highly visible and will bring hundreds of VIPs - including foreign leaders - into the city.

Full story

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Newport News, VA

This is specifically the reason why I will be catching the D.C. Metro into the city from Springfield, VA.

January 8, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Sharon

Of course it will be a traffic, security nightmare - isn't it always?

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Matt

NO WAY! You mean to tell us that an extra 2 million people milling about Washington D.C. is a problem? Shocking....truly and utterly shocking. Next thing you know, you'll be blowing my mind with crazy news nobody would have thought of like "peanut butter goes great with jelly."

January 8, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Alex

I think this was Tina Fey posing as Sarah Palin criticizing Tina Fey to boost her own popularity. Too bad nobody can tell the difference...

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. sister to sister talk...

I love you Barack family, but no thanks. I'll be watching from a distance,
    like on tv!!! Have a wonderful inauguration celebration and may God keep you all safe and sound as you take on your new role as president of this great country.

January 8, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. Proud American

I'm sure I speak for most Americans it will be well worth it.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Martha Hussein Baker for Barack

Everybody have fun freezing! My hubby and I will be lounging on the beach in Honolulu. Celebrating in the president-elect's hometown will be great! And warm!

January 8, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  8. norma - Wisconsin

Obama warns of belt-tightening is the captioned story. My previous comment addressed this very thing – what about the squandering on the inauguration I just spoke of. Is this an oxymoron or is it a hyprocasy? I'm all for celebrating and honoring this man, but my gosh – aren't there simpler ways to keep something grand. I thought Barack would have thought of how this looks to the citizens – its a little flaunting to say the least. Were it in different times – I wouldn't have cared, but my family is suffering and jobless. Tighting the belt is not illustrated in the upcoming events.

January 8, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. S Callahan

Seeing how the whole process took..from campaign on- to get to the point of being confirmed as the next President of the United States of America...I would think that if anyone disrupted this event the wrath of God would be on them.

January 8, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  10. old citizen

Just stay home ! What do any of you really think that all this hoopla will really accomplish ? I have seen many inaugurations ! Politicians ,humbug !!!

January 8, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. BUSH BEGOND AND NOW 82% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

Stay safe, folks.

January 8, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Joe Green

Got my invite in the mail today! Whooo-Hoo!

January 8, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. PJP

Well, they won't see me there! Got better things to do!!

January 8, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Janet in Reno

I have been counting down to this day for months now. My car sports a 1-20-09 sticker. Can't wait.

January 8, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. Thadeus, MD

Whatever it takes to keep this man safe. A free country does not come without responsibilites. We can protect him, we must and we will.

Yes We Can.

January 8, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Maura, AZ

Dear Old Citizen,

You're old enough to remember other inaugurations. Some of us have never been to one. I lived in Washington, D.C. all my life and I never really wanted to attend one, really. Now that I've moved to Arizona, I can't wait to get back to view this historical inauguration. Go figure.

The color of the month is not black, but red, white and blue. I can't wait to join in the celebration.

God bless America.

January 8, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. Rob Kole

Are they going to make a national holiday too? yeash!

January 8, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. bsmith171

economic crisis?
    limit swearing in to FIVE minutes.
    no parties.

January 8, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Arkansas Undertaker

I dont care how bad traffic and security or anything else is going to be thaty day. I plann on being there with bells on and I plan on enjoying every bit of the festivities.

History in the making. I wouldnt miss it for the world!

January 8, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  20. Susie

People are losing homes because of job losses, and this much money is being spent on an inauguration for a "man"???? An ordinary man who puts his pants on the same way every other man in this country puts them on! Why all the spending? Why can't there be a simple inauguration? After all, he's not GOD!!!!!!!????????

January 8, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. pat

God is goning to be withe us all who will be attending. You will see me there because i cant think of anything better to do and i think all the hoopla is about history being made and as a black american i am thankful that the lord has blessed me to not only to be alive to see it but has also blessed. me to be able to travel all the way frome california to see this once in a life time inauguration and i also well be bringing along my 17 year old daughter to attend this great event along with me so reather you voted for him or not please pray that every thing will just go well. And may god blessed us all and see all americans through this tough time because no matter what we are all in this TOGETHER!!!

January 8, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

SSSOOOOO worth it!!

January 8, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. this is the year

i hope everything goes well !!!!

January 8, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. boered1

ya think?!?!a Large % of Americans would like to be there and those who can still afford it are heading there!

For those worried about the cost of the inauguration it comes from Private sources (donations etc) and not out of our budget. it also gives work to many MANY people and business helping to keep the economy flowing (at least in DC).

me I wish I could afford it but this old retired Navy guy cannot quite make it happen, although I tried!

January 8, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  25. Proud American

12 more days and it's party in the streets all over America.

January 8, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |