January 8th, 2009

Inauguration may be traffic, security nightmare

Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.
Inauguration preparations at the Capitol began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Planning to attend the presidential inauguration this month in Washington? Expect a fortress-like city busting at the seams.

An influx of nearly 2 million people is expected to hit the streets of the nation's capital alongside an unprecedented security presence for the swearing in of the nation's first African-American president.

Police will be shutting bridges across the Potomac River into Washington, along with a huge chunk of downtown D.C.

Security officials are investigating any and all potential security threats to Barack Obama.

Homeland Security officials said they have no credible reports indicating that there's any terrorist threat to the inauguration, and there are no adjustments being made to the nation's threat level.

But officials also see the celebration as a potential target because it's highly symbolic and highly visible and will bring hundreds of VIPs - including foreign leaders - into the city.

Full story

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Charlie in Maine

Traffic a nightmare but new administation a dream come true.

January 8, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  2. Puff

The obots will keep him in his celebrity status, that's all he is good for. All show in an empty suit.

January 8, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. Linda K.

I would love to go, and I hoped to take my 16-year old son with me, but I don't want to try to battle those crowds.

January 8, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Scott

When was Washington DC not a traffic nightmare?

January 8, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  5. janet, ohio

I'll watch the soap-opera from my warm, secure, traffic-free home while the obots freeze off their obutts.

January 8, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  6. Meh

norma> I would imagine most of the cost is going toward security for Obama and for the attendees. I don't see anything wrong w. that. The man's had more death threats than any other Presidental Elect, sadly.
    And if the public wants to donate money for that, that's their perogative, right?

January 8, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. Ernie in LA

I will be so glad not to be in this madness.

January 8, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |