January 8th, 2009

Missouri senator will not seek re-election

Bond will not run for another Senate term.
Bond will not run for another Senate term.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Kit Bond, R-Missouri, will announce Thursday he will not seek another term to the Senate, a Capitol Hill Republican source confirms to CNN.

Bond is scheduled to make the announcement in a speech before the Missouri General Assembly. He served two terms as governor prior to being elected to the Senate in 1986. Bond is the third Republican senator to announce he will not be run for re-election in 2010. Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida, and Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, will both leave Capitol Hill when the curtain drops on the 111th Congress.

Republicans must defend 16 incumbents and three open seats in 2010, while Democrats have to defend 15 incumbents and two seats where special elections are expected to be held. In Delaware, a special election will be scheduled for Vice President-elect Joe Biden’s seat as well as a special election in New York should Hillary Clinton be confirmed as the next Secretary of State.

On Capitol Hill, Bond is known as a party loyalist, and he serves on the Select Committee on Intelligence, Appropriations Committee, Committee on Environment and Public Works, and the Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship.

Bond received 56 percent of the vote to win re-election in 2004.

Filed under: Kit Bond
  1. Carl from MI

Another Republican bites the dust...

How the mighty have fallen!!

January 8, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  2. Larry in Houston TX

I don't really blame him, because it will take years to do anything
    for the Republican agenda, becase of what Bush has done to his party......That being said, maybe the Democrats will straighten things out, while it will take years for the Republicans still trying to scratch their heads.....I almost feel sory for them, but I don't.......They've lost touch with the mainstream Americans.....

January 8, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. Proud American

Now this is a real smart Idiot. I hope the rest of your party does the samething for the good of the country. God Bless You little Idiot.

January 8, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Carl from MI

Another Republican bites the dust!!

How the mighty have fallen...

January 8, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Linda K.

I met Kit Bond once when he was governor, and at that time I thought he had a bright political future, but he has disappointed many Missourians over the last several years. I'm glad he's stepping down.

January 8, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Newport News, VA

One less republican to deal with.

January 8, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. geecee827

Good. Let's get a Democrat elected to the Senate from Missouri.

January 8, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Tony

One more republican bites the dust! HOORAY!

January 8, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. FreeNLovIt

Wow! All these elephants stepping down WHEN we need them to change the future and help out with this MESS. I'm glad McCain is STICKING around to help Obama out and confront him.

January 8, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. a southern bell

TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS.

WE HAVE TO PUT IN TERM LIMITS. SOME

OF THESE PEOPLE GET IN, LINE THEIR POCKETS

& SIT IN THE CHAIR, DOING NOTHING, ON OUR DIME.

January 8, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. CanIcallyouJoe

Thank you!!!
    I live in St. Louis, and the bright red glow from the rural areas of this state has been keeping me up at night. I know it's too much to ask because of the idiots who live here, but maybe we can get a Senator to represent our state that isn't a backwards puppet of the GOP.

January 8, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Lyndon from CA

Another Repub. bites the dust.

January 8, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Kaye -Jacksonville FL

Another one bites the dust...bam...

January 8, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. Barry In Missouri

Count me in as one of the Missourians he's disappointed.

January 8, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Stanley Hall

Even though Mr. Bond was instrumental in securing funds for a new and much needed bridge crossing the Missouri river, in my town, I am glad that he is stepping aside. My view extends to many members of the U.S. Congress. Often times on an individual and collective basis this "hallowed body" has significantly contributed, to our current economic crises by failing in it's oversight responsibilities of financial markets. In fact, I think it's time for term limits on federal legislators, and I have a ton of ideas on this issue, but don't want to belabor my comments on that topic, at this point in time.

January 8, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. Kathy

Another GOP leaving the pack. Good bye and good riddence!!!

January 8, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. Polar Bears Against Palen

Let the bum go. Who cares?

January 8, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Grog in Ohio

Another one bites the dust!!

12 days till the end of the Bush administration

January 8, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Denise

If the Dems play their cards right, they can win these seats

January 8, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Irma in North Carolina

He is probably tired of the direction the republican party is going. You thank the republicans for this . Look who they choose for the canidate of President and the one for V.P. They better come up with someting better for 2012. Lets hope and pray Palin wont be on the ticket or you all be doomed again.

January 8, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. cheryl

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, YEA! Trust me, he won't be missed.

January 8, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. Pat M

I too met Governor/Senator Bond on several occasions. I think he has had a good career, not as good as he could of had but better than most. We still need good Republican conseravtive senators to balance congress. Unfortunately, congress never works together and thus is the failure and cause of much of or economic issues. Sorry, its not the President's fault, it is congress. Obama will get things done only because he has a majority in congress. Getting things done doesn't mean getting it done right either.

January 8, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  23. Mick in Mesa

Good – another plantation rethuglicon is going out to pasture.

Maybe the "good" people of Missouri will get a chance to elect someone that better represents the 21st century rather than the 19th. Wishful thinking given the state...

January 8, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  24. Dr. Norm

Another rat fleeing the sinking ship!

January 8, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |