January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Jim in Bisbee

I think the real problem was not with the interviewer (Couric), but the interviewee (Palin), who finally had someone really ask her what she was all about . Alaska is definitely not the lower 48 when it comes to seeing if someone is really on top of it. The entire state of Alaska has fewer people than the city of Tucson, AZ.

Looking for blame, Madame Governor? Look in the mirror and look at he GOP. The rest of us aren't as easy to fool as we used to be.

January 8, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. a little sad

@katheman January 8th, 2009 4:00 pm ET

Funny…. I never heard anyone from the media go after Obama's family. Oh wait, that's right – he's a Democrat.

************************************

Then you weren't paying attention – his father, his mother, his grandmother, etc.

If you are talking about his children, then I guess you're right, though I think it has more to do with them being 7 & 11 and have not done anything newsowrthy except want a puppy, and I do believe that's been amply covered.

January 8, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Jay

Caribou B., the correct answer is, the world does not revolve around YOU! High time for you to just go back to your little corner of the world and shut up. You fell on you face through your own mis-steps, mis-statements and your inflated hyper-ambition. The position you find yourself in today is of your own making. Live with it.

January 8, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Becka

Sarah,

Are you not now exploiting them to try to remain relevant? Would this be news if Tina Fey and Katie Couric weren't part of the story?

it was a symbiotic relationship. You used them and they used you. Unfortunately, in the battle of wits you lost. Quit whining. Brush up on your knowledge of what the administrative branch of gov't really does, and if you feel like it, try again in 3 years. But till then. Quit whining.

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. Edward

Why is she still in the news?? Seriously, it's her own fault that she faltered in the "softball" interview with Couric. Further, if SNL offended her so much, why did she go on the show later?

It is such a relief that she will be no where near the leadership of our country.

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. DJ in TX

Blame everybody else but yourself. I don't mind her conservative principals, that's her right. But no one, not the McCain camp, the media, etc, told her to say that because she can see Russia, that gives her foreign policy experience. The Gibson interview, granted, Charlie was not 100% professional. But Katie Couric, she didn't throw her any curveballs, and asked questions based on the answers Gov Palin gave her.

So, having never made a trip overseas, or met with foreign leaders, made her qualifed to be VP. Granted, Obama experience was a little lacking as well, but at least he had some federal experience. She's the governor of the "largest" state (said Guliani), but failed to say that state only has aout 800K people. Let's see, Pres Bush led a state with 32 million people. He did a great job...........:-). I just wish she (and others) would stop the blaming game. She just wasn't ready for the national stage and McCain should have realized that.

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Vinny Connecticut

It amazes me how many posters on this site call Gov Palin an "idiot" or a "moron" or wish she would "just go away" or is "an insult to hard working, strong women." To those posters, I ask, "Can you be a mayor and run a town? Can you be a governor and run a state/ If you did, would your approval ratings be sky high as are Palin's? Could you be chosen as a candidate for the second highest office in the US? Are Obama's 2 yrs in the Senate enough to qualify him in your mind to be Pres?" It truly amazes me how many self important, pompous, "Know it alls" post on this site and love to keep up the hate- amazing but oh so sad!

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. Itsmithismith

Yeah, it does say a lot about our society...
    It says our society figured out that Palin is a nitwit.

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Brin in Houston

Hey Sar-Sar, megalomania isn't on of your strong points. It can't possibly be everyone else's fault but yours.

January 8, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66