January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. turkey in the background

sore loser.
    sour grapes.
    pathetic candidate.
    boo hoo.
    go play with your grandson.
    fade away.

January 8, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  2. Nathan

"Exploited" her? I think the word Sarah was searching for is "exposed". All that Couric did was ask questions. They weren't even particularly pointed. And if you have a problem with someone satirizing you or your family after YOU trot out your daughter like she's Miss Teen America, maybe you should go move in with your buddy Putin in Russia. I hear the press is REAL friendly over there.

January 8, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  3. Vito

she doesn't even know what VIA means

you don't exploit someone THROUGH that person. You exploit that person via the media or internet, not via that person.

she is so dumb

January 8, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  4. Jeffrey in Seattle

Sarah who?

January 8, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. Justin

Seriously? Seriously? Not that Couric is the 21st Century model of journalism- but I'd trust her to be able to competently answer a few simple questions.
    And while I'm in the minority on this, I don't find Tina Fey that funny all the time- but I will acknowledge that she is sharp!
    I'll give Palin the angry-about-the-kids comment- but to say that these Fey and Couric exploited her is a bit of a stretch.
    The fact that she was planning on leading with nebulous unlisted small-town values and what appeared to be a don't-need-no-learnin approach to governance – and people actually bought into it – says a lot about our society as well.

January 8, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  6. glacierdawg

Sarah, the job you were elected to do is in Juneau. Time to step of the national stage and stop trying to move the state's capitol. If you didn't want to live there, then you shouldn't have run for the office...

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Nate

Palin brought all this is upon herself and her family. She's so ignorant she doesn't understand that she is not VP material. I'm surprised she's a governor of a state. She should have known this and declined the opportunity. She did this for selfish reasons.

If Sarah Palin was a unattractive over weight woman where would she be?? She's not educated or intelligent enough to get anywhere without her looks which will be fading down the stretch.

For the record Palin was handled with kid gloves. She hid from the press for the first 3 weeks of the campaign. She did this because she was the worst choice in terms of knowledge and experience for VP.

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. Mark

Somebody call the WAAAAAAAAAmbulance. If you can't handle being made fun of on late-night TV, then don't run for Vice President. Plus, you can't expect to define your entire platform on moral issues and family values and not have the press poke fun at you for having a pregnant teenage daughter heading into a shotgun marriage. Politics have never been for the weak of stomach. And the Caroline Kennedy comparison is pretty weak. There's a world of difference between vetting a Senator and someone who will be a heartbeat away from the presidency (with a 73 year old running mate with a history of cancer). Not saying Caroline Kennedy shouldn't be thoroughly vetted, but come on.

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  9. Matt

Same could be said about the 2004 election. But hey, the GOP isn't known for learning lessons...it prides itself on ignoring facts, "staying the course" and rewriting history when it's over.

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  10. Art Michaelson

Hello: Sarah Palin you are a lowest level dunce I have ever come across. Comparing your self with Carolyn KENNEDY is the worst no brainer of your career. Palin, you needed 5 colleges to do a four year degree and you still cannot string English words together to form a intellegent sentance. Ms. Kennedy earned a LAW DEGREE from one of the finest IVY League Law Schools in the USA. Furthermore she has authored two books on the AMERICAN CONSTITUTION and the LAW. Whereas you could not name one SUPREME COURT RULING other than ROE/WADE. So please get a grip on your extremely limited intellectual capacity and GET OUT OF MY LIFE

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. bub

Palin was weak but better than Katie or Charlie. He misstated the Bush "Doctrine" completely and Katie's questions were so light weight as to irritate anyone into a flip answer.. But Katie's question of the Presidential candidates was really heavy high school stuff, e.g., "What 3 living Americans other than me (tee he) would you like to have dinner with." Now that's more important than even who's wearing what to the Oscars.

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. dr.mimi de la cruz

IDIOT !!!!

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. Bryan

It says a lot about our political candidates when the comedians can capitalize with their political impersonations.

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. JOHN WHITE

Palin, Palin, Palin please disappear you are an idiot. You and your drug dealing sister in-law!

January 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. fideauxdon

Caribou Barbie continues her reign as the most prominent Redneck North of the Mason-Dixon line. Katie and Tina both have a greater mental acuity, and are better prepared to lead a country than Ms. Palin is. She isn't even doing an adequate job of raising a family.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. karen

I totally agree with Sarah Palin. I thought Tina Fey's depiction of Sarah Palin was sexist and couldn't believe when Tina Fey pulled up her skirt to show her legs. Also, the McCain campaign did a poor job of answering negative criticisms about Palin and McCain.
    Everyone knows the majority of comedians are not conservatives and so those are their targets. Look at Will Ferrel on the SNL skit where he played George Bush and kept saying that with McCain you would get more of Bush. He kept at it and at it. It should count as a campaign show for Obama. It was very one-sided.
    We'll see if SNL does anything nearly as irreverant about Obama or Caroline Kennedy.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. Tay in Texas

Oh, please!

She has taken every opportunity to exploit herself and her family at every opportunity! I don't see how Katie Couric's interview is exploitative...she interviewed Palin, Palin came off like an idiot and the rest of us laughed. If she had been evenly vaguely prepared or given coherent answers there would've been naught for Tina Fey or anyone else to make fun of. And though TIna Fey is more prominent now, it would be silly to suggest that she had no career prior to this election.

It just amazes me how Palin continues to insert herself and her brood into the spotlight. Somehow, I find her supposed altruism and protectiveness a bit inauthentic and I am disgusted by her continued effort to make her lack of electability EVERYONE'S fault but her own.

Even though I want OBAMA in office for the full 8 years, I still care enough about my country to hope that my conservative friends (yes, I have some) have the sense NOT to back this idiot's continued efforts in the realm of national politics...even though I feel her presence can only benefit my cause.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. Eric

I so can't wait to watch the rabid liberals start foaming at the mouth b/c they can't get their venom for Palin out of their mouths fast enough.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. linda in AR

Poor me Sarah Palin, such a victim. Yawn.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. beachgirl

PALIN.............can't believe you are still in the news, what a waste of your time............CONCENTRATE on your family, YOUR CHILDREN.....they need a mother at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Arizona Ron from Tucson

Peggy Hill is quick to admonish others for bringing to light her shortcomings as a VP candidate.

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. JMV

WHO CARES WHAT SARAH PALI N THINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Matt

perhaps also that is

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. J-Syxx

Can't take the heat, get out of the fire you simple-minded light-weight!

January 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Give me a break! She sounded like an idiot and got called on it. It's her own fault ,not Couric's or Fey's. It's laughable that she is actually comparing herself to Caroline Kennedy. I'm pretty sure Kennedy can name the last book she read and probably knows all of the continents!!

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66