January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Scott, Mizzou

Sara, Sara, you should have won best comedic performance of the year. It was very entertaining,... and extremely scary. I still see a few McCain – Palin signs hanging around. I think these people don't even know that the race is over with. Which, actually explains a lot. Here is a stab, what do you get when you put extremely religious (or mostly pretending to be) with ignorance? – Republican Right.

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. Nostradamus

I love how she blames everyone else for making her look like an idiot. Palin needs to understand that it’s her remedial understanding of the world outside Alaska (plus, it'd be nice if she even knew what the different branches of government do) along with the poorly structured sentences that pour out of her mouth that make her look like a mongoloid.

I’d really like to see a Palin/Joe the Plumber ticket in 2012 so that even more Republicans will vote for Obama.

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. CanIcallyouJoe

Go away.

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Amy

If she felt exploited by Fey and Couric how would she have handled foreign leaders who didn't fawn all over her? I'm very relieved that she is not in the #2 position leading our great country!

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. geneva richerson

Ms. Palin
    You're no Caroline Kennedy. you and your family are hill billies like the Beverly hill billies, ok!

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. William

During the campaign, Palin gleefully appeared on SNL. She beemd at the attention she was given via Fey's characterization of her, even if it was unflattering. Palin exploited herself, and she loved it. When will this woman stop crying to the media? Gotcha.

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Dan

Amazing! Just pitiful how she never takes responsibility for her very obvious shortcomings. Always the victim, always being persecuted by the media. She clearly has no inclination to educate herself on the issues – so much easier to blame someone else for exposing her lack of knowledge and understanding. Her 15 minutes are long over – time for the ticker to turn to the real issues.

January 8, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Dennis

"...capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration..." !?!

Truly amazing. Why can't she admit that she was in over her head? She wonders why they scheduled her for more segments with Couric after the first one went poorly. Never mind the fatuous suggestion that Couric was out to get her; this is from someone who says she was too tightly managed, kept under wraps when the public wanted to know more about her! If she had been truly prepared she'd have welcomed the multiple national exposures such television interviews provide.

Shame on McCain for cynically picking her, and shame on all the cons who approved of the choice. Fortunately we got the results we, and they, deserved.

9. Shepp

This woman is tan idiot.
    If the GOP continues to try and push her in the future they will become a dead party. Maybe it's time for a new party anyway. At least a viable third party would be healthy for the U.S.
    THIS WOMAN IS NOT

10. Diane Mo

Sarah,for you to liken yourself to Caroline Kenny is a joke. The thing is Sarah ,,, Caroline has a brain and does,t come across as a dimwit every time she opens her mouth. Also doesn,t parade her children around to try to grab attention. The redneck family you have shown us does nothing to improve what we already know. GO AWAY, STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

11. John

And with that, so ends Sarah Palin's chances of ever being on the GOP ticket.

I can see her on Desperate Housewives but not in the White House.

If she can't handle a critical comment about her, how can she lead the American people? Look at what Obama has faced and compare that with this whining about how she was treated.

12. bob

please go away - please go away - go back to your part time governors job..

13. My View

You have got to be kidding! Seems to me that this Trash Bag was all too happy to hop on the SNL train and even appear on that program when she thought she would get votes out of it. Kind of crappy to be running it down now!

So she hates that people we "expoiting" her poor knocked up unwed daughter? What did she think that the GOP did at the convention?

She continues to prove just what a self-serving very stupid piece of crap she really is.

Can we forget about her yet?

14. Mikel

Aside from being the typical blame-the-messenger paranoia that the Republican stalwarts haul out any time things don't go their way, this interview merely underlines the obvious fact that her career on a national stage is over. I, and many other progressives, wish it were not true, however. We'd love to see her as the Republican candidate for president in four years.

15. KevinfromtheNorthsideofChicago

When is this lady going to disappear!?!?!? I get so sick when I see her and hear her talk. She is in politics – and politics is a dirty game which the gloves are always off, she should know of that by now!!! She does the woe is me attitude but never realizing during the campaign trail that she set herself up. This woman cannot even complete a sentence (Miss Run On)
    I would like to see either a Keith Olberman or Rachel Maddow interview her and see how she holds up!!! Oh that is gotcha journalism. She has more excuses than anyone I have ever heard of. Not the smartest cookie out there and people actually follow her and think she is a good leader. Thank god she is not the VP elect!!!
    YOU BETCHA!!!
    I try to be a decent person but this is one woman that I just cannot stand!!!
    STAY IN ALASKA and take care of your special needs child – also if you cannot maintain your own home, what makes you think you can run a country!?!?!?

16. Marvin

That's right, Sarah. Keep spouting the standard Republican line: "It's someone else's fault!" It's not your fault that you were ill-prepared for Couric's interview, it's Couric's fault for asking questions.

Your hyperventilating, blaming and finger-pointing isn't winning you any new friends, Sarah. If you have any plans at all of making a run in 2012, you'd better turn down the blame-o-meter and buck up on your personal responsibility.

17. PutItToRest

When will this woman accept the fact that her loss was the result of her own idiocy and basic lack of common sense? She probably is just naive and pretentious enough to let someone convince her that she has a shot in 2012. If we thought watching her spiral out of control was entertaining this time, I can't wait until she tries it again. She should do the world a favor and keep track of the moose population in Alaska – oh and she can keep and eye on the Russians for us since she has so much foreign policy exposure.

18. Lara

Is anything her fault, she seems to blame everyone else for her mistakes. I'm not a fan of Katie but I thought her interview was fine it was the response to the questions Sarah gave that didn't make sense. If she thought that SNL's Tina Fey said something bad about her daughter why did she go on the show.

19. Drew

Oh my gods....get a sense of humor, would you please? I don't hear you complaining about "Barack the Magic Negro," though that was pretty funny too if you realize that it is a parody of Al Sharpton and not Obama. People are way too uptight these days trying to be "PC" all the time. And before people start going Palin-phobic, I've got nothing against the person, though I disagree with her politics. She's a governor, mother and wife, all of her own accord. I just feel that she is displaying a desperate need for Americans to laugh at themselves. try it sometime; I'll bet you feel better.

20. Joe (Bozeman, MT)

Her need to try and stay in the spotlight is overwhelming. Her own stupidity earned her exploitation. My dad always told me that if I didn't want to appear ignorant, not to open my mouth. In Sarah Palin's case, she did it to herself but jumping into the national political scene with such naive ambition and notion.

21. Phil

Well lets talk about you know when we say what I think the other one is not in here because I say the time Russia did this.
    NOT BEING ABLE TO FORM RATIONAL THOUGHTS AND SPRAKING PATTERNS THAT IS WHAT GOT THIS WOMAN IN TROUBLE. NOT THE MEDIA IT WAS HER OWN STUPIDITY.

22. Larry

It was her decision to parade her kids out as a political tool, it was her who decided to use her family and rising 5 kids as a political tool, it was her who could not answer very basic questions....not the press, not McCain...but Palin. She needs to go away!!!!

23. Lotus

I wish she would just go away and be quiet already.

January 8, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. dave

fey and couric pretty much owe a debt of gratitude to mrs palin for their recent fortune and fame. obviously the "loving" libs will think otherwise. that is if msnbc has upload that firmware update. it's pretty sad that the scathing hatred has yet to change. changity-change-change-change. just words. have a happy do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do year.

January 8, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. J

Yeah- It's does say a lot about our society.

We are able/allowed to make fun of bulls%*t when we see it.

Maybe the reason you were under such scrutiny was because you were seen right away for what you were...a gimmick.

January 8, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66