January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. T-NY

How the Gov was portrayed by press and TV media was the Gov's own fault. She agreed to run for an office of leadership, yet followed every I'll conceived suggestion given her. What happened to the phrase, "no I won't do that!"

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. Ted

Sorry to say that but she still don’t get it, last time I checked Caroline Kennedy is running for senate seat in NY. Not for VP (heart beat away blah blah blah) of the USA.

I was just wondering if she noticed that she is comparing apples and oranges. This lady has some serious issue….

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Tony

Sarah,
    If you feel like you've been exploited, and you want someone to blame, there's only one name you need to know- John McCain.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Kyle

Perhaps if Sarah Palin wasn't such a nut job she wouldn't make for so large a target.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Navy Vet

Okay, here we go again – The Blame Game. If Palin thought she did so poorly on the first interview with Couric, why didn't she ask the McCain staff to better prepare her for the next interviews? The staff of John McCain was not running for the Vice President position and they could only do so much with the no-nothing, lame brain idiot.
    This is getting old. She continues to want to be in the press and media but all she's doing is complaining and whinning. If she was saying something positive during her tirades, then she might come over as someone who learned from the whole experience and was willing to improve so that people would take her more seriously. Instead, she's coming over as someone who is bitter and angry because she messed up on the big stage in politics and now she knows what its like and what it takes.
    Hey Sarah Palin, remember all that garbage you were spouting out on President – elect Obama? What goes around, comes around.
    Bad Karma on your part.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Juan from L.A

What a bitter moron!!! Can't stand her, but I love laughing to her shenninghans!!! She's dumb, literally dumb. And the people that follow her are dumb also!!! Point blank!! Hopefully the Republican will wake up and just put this two face moron in a box and make her dissapear and pick Jindal in 2012.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. JimmyE

Thanks for keeping up with Palin. Another way for Palin to keep on exposing her biggest weakness – reluctance to selflessly accept and hold herself accountable for her shallowness and intellectual deficit. Caroline Kennedy and Katie Couric have both demonstrated over time their intellectual curiosity as well as solid-positive depth in their respective professions, parenting, national and international affairs. I bet Palin will not see either of these gentle ladies blame others for any missteps they may or have experienced.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. RealityKing

It's the progressive thing to do...

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. John Mcnamara

Sarah Palin did poorly on her interviews because she lacks the intellectual and political awareness that a person in her position needs to have. Clearly, her inquisitiveness about the world at large and how the range of varying issues interrelate is not part of her agenda. She exhibited a convoluted approach to thinking within the interviews she gave.

It is pathetic that she blames the media for her inefficiencies.

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Beth

I despise this woman...and I thank God every single day that she isn't our VP.

She reminds me of a little kid who cries everytime someone picks on them, and blames everything that happens on someone else.

Seriously..."despise" isn't a strong enough word.

01/20/09 – The end of an error

January 8, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. TF

Just go away. I hope a polar bear eats her soon!!

12. Bridget

And what does it say about Sarah Palin that she went on SNL, the very show she is criticizing, to gain popularity points for herself?

13. Shane

Why is Palin still getting news time, no one cares, go away already.

14. Jason

Also, I love how she considers the question "what newspapers and magazines do you read?" as being put "under a microscope". Is she serious?

15. Steven NY

It say a great deal about our society. It means that Americans are starting to see silly the GOP party has become. Palin's VP candidacy was a joke and that is why Tina Fey was able to find great success with the impersonation. She was a nobody and the media made her what she is today. She has national recognition and the best chance in her life to advance he political career within the GOP party. Now he being a celebraty to working women is the only qualification she has as a national candidate. Palin's interview with Katie Couric allowed America to see her true depth. And beceause she could not coherently put thoughts into words nor answer many of Couric's questions, she looked unqualified for the position. In such cases the media is blamed for all ills coming the GOP party. It was not unfair. She would have been tested in office. No one let up on Obama's lack of experiance when running against Hillary. He rose above it by proving his depth of knowledge on important subjects. So, Ms. Palin, you wanted the spotlight, now must take responsibility for it expsoes.

16. savannah

My goodnes is she a moron!! I am still thanking my lucky stars that she is not going to be our VP.

17. Reality

Will this woman ever shut up!

18. Adrienne

"Mama grizzly" is the future of the Republican Party? Please.

19. raystanz

How dare she.

20. Matt in VA

Palin's question about how C. Kennedy will be treated has already been asked and answered. Kennedy avoids the press and when she does speak she comes across as someone who doesn't have an organized thought in her head. Her only credential for being suggested is her name. It is obvious that Palin's critics were made uo of hate filled liberals who do not have an objective bone in them. BTW. I thought Kennedy lived in some posh sector of Colorado; is it true she could see the NY senate seat from there? How many homes does she own anyway?

Oh how I love using liberal standards in responding to these issues.

21. Dennis

She is right about one thing, Caroline Kennedy........

If Palin said "You know" 100 times in an interview, she would have been vigorusly lampooned, and rightly so...I live in upstate NY, the real upstate..not Westchester...and the last person we want as a Senator is Caroline.........

and what really bothers me is how the kennedy people are now trying to compare her to Oboma...NOT!

22. Steve

The thought that she might have been a heartbeat away from the presidency is truly frightening. Palin needs to stop blaming everybody, especially the "vast left-wing consipiracy", a.k.a. the mainstream media, for her inability to think on her feet. The only thing she proved during her 12 weeks of fame was that she could read from a teleprompter. Hardly the qualifications for a commander-in-chief. Yikes.

23. Go Away Sarah

She's still dumb as dirt. I'd like to smack her English teachers for not doing their jobs. Her grammar makes my head hurt.

"...oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me.."
    –Sarah Palin

God, just go back to school. She is not ready for prime time, and she has the nerve to compare herself to Caroline Kennedy. Well, I'll tell you Sarah, Caroline is smart and you are not. Her mother was known for dressing which made her a fashion icon, you are known for dressing a moose, which makes you an idiot.

24. paulaj

When is this woman going to stop whining... she should put on her big girl panties and forget about the lipstick!! The MAJORITY

January 8, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Jake

That she still blames Katie Couric and the McCain campaign for her own poor performance answering those very basic questions perfectly highlights the reason why she is unfit to serve on a national level, especially as Vice-POTUS.

January 8, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66