January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. A

Sarah Palin please go sit down somewhere. Your 15 minutes are up!

2. once upon a horse

UH OH...another post about Sarah Palin.....this will draw folks pro and con like flies are drawn to....errr honey! Wonder how many hundred will post before this is closed.

3. YES WE DID

IT MUST REALLY HURT TO NO LONGER BE RELEVANT.

4. FactCheck

To quote Woody Allen: she is the village idiot. She could barely write her name in the ground with a stick.

It says a lot about our society (or rather, 45% of our society) that they would vote her into any position of authority.

5. DON'T FALTER...

SARAH PALIN IS A LEADER....IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T FALTER

SHE WILL SUCCEED AND BECOME AMERICA'S FIRST AND

BEST PRESIDENT-LEADER....OBAMA'S HURRAH WILL BE SHORT

LIVED..........AMERICA WILL RISE AGAIN.....*************

6. JOHN

It is amazing that Gov. Palin was offended by a skit she saw with the volume turned down, or that she would then willingly participate on a program that exploited her. However, I do believe that Gov. Palin and her family was exploited (or exposed) but not by Katie Curic or Tina Fey, but by John McCain, The RNC, The Christian Coalition, Conservative Radio (Hannity, Limbaugh, etc...) and most of all Sarah Palin.

7. Rick in WA

To "Go Away Sarah"

More insightful commentary and keen political analysis from a liberal.

8. Edward

Now she is crying about 'exploitation' by professional comedians. Thanks god this loser didn't make it to the White House...

9. Six Pack Joe

Sarah Palin is an idiot, this lady managed to mangle just about every major TV appearance and she weaseled her way into the headlines for 12 weeks.. wasn't that enough? She thinks dinosaurs were alive 6,000 years ago for god sake.. her foreign policy experience was her looking at Russia across the ocean.. Seriously the republican party made the biggest mistake since giving Bush a job... she doesn't deserve the webspace..

10. Barb B

Boo Hoo Poor Sarah

11. Ronin

Sarah,
    please stop whining and go back to the obscurity from which you came. You had golden opportunity to prove how smart you were and provide a shining example that Alaskans are not just simple hillbilly folk of the great white north. Sadly, you failed. Though I personally believe Alaskans to be a tad bit more complicated than that, you proved an embarrasment. Your 15 minutes are up with no leap-second added. Goodbye!

12. what change??

SARAH SARAH SARAH sour grapes doe's not become you
    a crappy interview can be blamed on only one person
    look in the mirror

13. Christine

Did Palin not AGREE and WILLINGLY participate in not one but two SNL skits that she now says were "exploiting" her?!? Get over it Sarah and don't encourage it and whine about it later.

14. Luke Brown

Duh ????????

15. Joe Magaratz

Sarah is in over her head! Reminds me of a person trying to avoid drowning. Everytime she comes up for air, she keeps sinking back into the water.

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  16. SOMEONE PLEASE THROW ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES @ GW!!!

"I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration — that’s a little bit perplexing, blah, blah, blah...."

"oh I don’t know" – really, what does Pain-Lin know?!!! She can't even put a coherent sentence together, let alone try to take digs at Fey & Couric!

this woman is a deucebag!

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. RED

WE ARE SICK OF THIS WOMAN..........ENOUGH ALREADY...NOT NEWS.........

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. Dennis Lee Hoffman, citizen of the world

Thanks for the laughs, Sarah!

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Safiyyah

Palin please go back to Alaska !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Away SARA is how I feel

Please do us all a favor

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. TCM

SNL – where you can launch a career into drugs, and trite juvenile humor....I remember when the show produced good actors such as Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd. Now, it's not even funny anymore....which goes to show why they milked the Sarah Palin gig....

While not perfect, Sarah Palin shows a lot of courage as a person, parent and citizen. I like her, not sure how she'd have done as a VP, but ultimately was more qualifie than Obama, and more intelligent than Biden. Because the certain sectors of the female population were jealous, and Obama was threatened, the Democratic corruption machine set forth to smear her and her family...gotta give 'em props, they did good; smearing her with one hand, while covering up O"biden's messes with the other. Magical moves that Chriss Angel would envy...

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. Chelle

You my dear, are a freakin trip!!!

GO AWAY

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Tudwilliger

And, you also were very happy to take advantage of the popularity of Tina Fey's parody by appearing on the show and eagerly playing along. It's disingenous to now to imply you didn't take advantage of them just as much as you think they did of you. It's their job, just like it was your job to make public appearences. Funny how fast things got off track for you when that press were not hand-picked conservative shills.

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  23. Ed

I think it's right for Gov. Palin to go after Fey and Couric. Their actions, comments, and disrespect towards Mrs. Palin, during the campaign, was shameful. Ms. Fey's satire was mean-spirited and, at times, downright insulting. Ms. Couric's houlier-than-thou attitude and reporting was undignified. No wonder her rating's are low, people basically can't stand her anymore. If Mrs. Palin is finally able to honestly speak her mind against these women, then so be it. They were ruthless and unfair towards Mrs. Palin during the campaign. Now it's her turn!! What goes around, comes around.

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. John

I can understand her being upset with the SNL skit reference to teenage marriage. However she shouldn't be blaming Katie Couric for her own stupidity!!

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. drew

hmm.. I thought she liked Fey's portrayal during the campaign. I guess once you are looking for someone to blame for your own shortcomings you even turn on those you liked...

January 8, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66