January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Chris

Crazy people don't know they're crazy

"it's not me, it's them!"

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Nola

OMG – not her again – I don't wish any ill will against her but, Would someone Please tell this woman to go take a long long hike and when she returns go sit in a corner and never ever speak again

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. john olowa

Why can't palin just go away so it's the media's fault .no1 kennedy is a smart and intelligent woman she knows what the bush doctrine is.no2 kennedy reads as well as is an accomplished writer.kennedy does not claim the foreign experience that u claim to have just bcos russia is your next door neighbour then you have foreign experience.As for the issue of snl they just used the same words u used.I will advise you to do a lot reading.Read everything that comes ur way no knowledge is useless .ur and family and alaskans need u more

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. Tom

She just doesn't get it! I don't think she ever will.

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Roger from CA

Oh, I how I pray that this woman somehow self-destructs politically over the next couple years! I thought that there was no greater ignoramus in the world than George W Bush, until that early September day when McCain foisted this horror show on the nation.

I shudder at how energetically the lunatic right has adopted Palin, and all the nonsense and hate she stands for. I would like to think that the nation which has now so strongly voted for Obama will not be taken in by Palin and her ilk, but any possibility of that is too great.

I hope she crashes and burns and disappears. And take her friend Ziegler with her while you're at it!

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  6. Jack

Sarah please go home relax and do your thing in Alaska – say out of trouble forgive your ex-brother in law and get off the stage – unless you want to ruin the GOP's chances for 2020 as well – because that's about the first time there might be enough more in the treasury for another "tax cut".

January 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  7. Carl Justus

She should have studied up on what she was talking about. I do not believe that McCain and his staff did proper job of investigatiing her and just picked her because he she would win the women's vote.

The women of this country is smarter than just to vote for a female because she is a female. Hillary Clinton is qualified, but Palin is hardly qualified to run Alaska must less be vice president especially to an old man.

Palin should have said no when asked to be the vice president candidate and she would have been much better off, now the world knows she is not qualiifed, before they did not.

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. Duncan

She just can't accept that she was panned by the media and everyone because she was not qualified for the position that she was nominated for. Blame, excuses, blame. No person responsibility at all.

I have heard Ms. Kennedy speak, and the difference between her and Palin are night and day..

"…Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe,"

I don't get this.. Katie asked a simple question and she did not answer because katie is not the center of everyone universe?

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Elizabeth

Why won't she go away? It's like a bad dream that you just can't wake up from...

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. ralph

I think SNL and the media should have left her kids out of it but Sarah had no business running for VP. She didn't have a clue and wasn't a quick learn.
    As for her interviews, it showed the depth of her basic knowledge. It showed that she was never interested in issues outside Alaska
    She can't fault anybody for not being able to answer really simple questions.

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Brian

And cue the hateful democrats...3...2...1....go for hippies

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. Brian, Chester Springs, PA

So it's not okay to use her and her "administration" for exploitation, but it's okay for her to bring her family up on stage during rallies, including her special needs baby? Hello pot, meet kettle.

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. Brian

Poor Sarah Palin. Boo hoo.

January 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Irma in North Carolina

Sarah you showed that you were none to bright when you campaigned here in the lower 48. The only supportt you had was from a few republicans who didnt know better what you were. After they seen the hate rallys that you gave and did not try to stop it that is what turned the people off. Her dad being a school teacher a person would thing she would have better english skills to at leeast speak in a complete sentence. The republican party is losing members fast and if you are on the republican ticket more of them will bow out. You should see first if you get elected governer of your state again. I bet you wont even win that race, from what is stated in the newspapers up there. I think Levi should have a DNA test on grandbaby he might even be the father of that child.

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. e s

cant blame anyone but yourself for being stupid live with your loss and move on ... she could have easily turned down the subsequent interviews with couric an will someone tell her that not finishing high school means you did drop out

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. closet republican

lol at the 'mama grizzly' reference. That was really funny.....

I'll say this much, I'm not going to waste my time Palin bashing like alot of the comments that are posted, but I will say that she needs to really stop responding to everything that was said or done about her during the campaign. Every day there's a new response that is being released by her and her camp. Let's move on and if she wants to make a run for it again in 2010 or 2012, go for it. For now, I think all of us have forgotten about all that stuff that was said....honestly...

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Hillsborians

I find it funny that Mrs. Palin will go at any length to stay in the media limelight. Most people with dignity will not discuss about past events, their children unless asked. Mrs. Palin constantly talks about her children and anything she can to make sure she's not lost in the media limelight. This woman is desperate for the 2012 ticket, and it shows.

I love her fingerpointing. How about accountability for your stupidity, Mrs. Palin.

One thing to do an interview, it's another thing altogether to open your mouth and make sure it is an educated, factual statement. You did neither well. Please go away, we don't need you.

Any chance you can swim to visit your Russian neighbors? Please.

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. Clueless to the end....

Perhaps people wouldn't so-called "attack" your kids had you not trotted them out on stage every freakin place you went.

It was especially pathetic how you paraded your little special needs kid around with you every where you went.

Oh and the whole righteous high and mighty thing you portrayed you and your family to be provided plenty of fodder for the media given the fact that you all are a trainwreck in reality.

Of course, my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm not one of them "real Americans" you only care about.

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. loribee

Move on Palin....we have!

January 8, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. vahe

go away

January 8, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  21. R

Both Clinton and McCain are getting over their lost, but accepting that there is a president to be elected. Except her.

January 8, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Rowena

WOW ! hahahehehehehehehahhaheheheeeee, also.

January 8, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. gary n.

Let's give this trailer trash her own show. We'll call it the " Wasilla Hillbillies " !

January 8, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. BB

I think her extended family members make an even stronger statement about our society. And it doesn't smell good.

January 8, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. Tim

With regard to Tina Fey, does Palin understand what "satire" is?

January 8, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66