January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Heather

She's an idiot.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. DON'T FALTER...

AMERICA WILL FIND THE TRUE LEADER IN SARAH PALIN...WHY?

SHE DID NOT FALTER IN HER FIRST TRY, THE SIGN OF A REAL

LEADER....AMERICA NEEDS....************************************

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Kim

PLEASE..............GO................AWAY.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Daniel

I really hate this woman.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Kathy in FL

I do think the crack in the SNL skit about Bristol was below the belt. But I don't understand why Sarah Palin keeps bringing this stuff up. It's like she got addicted to the limelight and can't stop trying to bring attention to herself. Surely being governor of Alaska takes up enough of her time where she doesn't need to keep trying to make news happen.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. cool onlooker

What a shame to appear again and again after such a faltered failure.

Focus on your grandmotherhood! Disappear from the media!

Cannot stand this kind of polarized talk...

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  7. Lori

And the Republicans said that this woman was more 'qualified' than Obama?

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Karen from Charlottesville

She didn't exploit her own family by puting her pregnant daughter on parade and making her the poster child of unwed mothers? What a hypocrit.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Rick from Illinois

Shud-up! Shut-up! Be Quiet! WAAAHHH! Cry me another river! Boo hoo Palin!

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. Jim Alger

Amazing how this woman doesn't see that she attacked Obama in the most vile manner she could and that created a backlash.

Her "kid" is an adult whom she paraded around every chance she could as a prop bit if someone says anything it is wrong. She campaigned with her daughters boyfriend making him an issue.

She sees none of this.

January 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. Victor

She needs to get over herself! Thank GOD she's not our future VP

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. Susan, NC via LA

Please just go away!

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  13. sister to sister talk...

Palin, don't get stuck in the bitterness of yesterday. This is a new year, all of us would like to forget some things that happened in 2008. Forgetting those things which are behind and press towards the high mark of your calling. I personally didn't vote for you and McCain, even though I am a christian and share some of your values. As a black women, I was very disturbed at the tone of your campaign, but I wish you and your family well and may the peace of God bless each of you.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  14. Margaret

I do not understand such hate! What is wrong with you people! Grow up and learn some respect for others.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  15. Patty in the CA mountains

Fey and Couric could not have shot the gun if Palin had not given them the ammo....if Palin had been even remotely qualified for the job Couric would have had an interview that highlighted Palin's shortcomings and people would have applauded Palin's readiness.....if Palin had not been so underqualified Fey's depiction would not have been so spot on....Palin can say all day long that it was the fault of everyone else but when she looks in the mirror, if she's at all honest, she will have to admit that they didn't do anything she didn't allow them to do.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  16. Melinda

Both Fey and Couric were stars in their own professions long before a no nothing Governor of a state with more reindeer than people was plucked from obscurity! Can she just please go away!

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Fiona

If you get offended by a reporter asking you what magazines you read, you are not fit for office.

The question regarding reading material was a give-way by Couric to Palin – something Palin could have grabbed with both hands and used to show her both intelligence as well as her role as a mother and wife.

Any answer along the lines of "Well Katie – I don't mind reading Business Week or the Economist as I find there is quite a board cross section of articles, but when I've got some down time I quite like to read Who / People / [insert some celebrity mag], especially the specials which show things like the Best Dressed People of the Year, or Oscar Gowns through the century"

Not that hard really , and whining about it, really, not that impressive.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Cali Mike

Jesus Christ, will she please go away? If you want people to stop making fun of you, then shut up and go AWAY.

You said "yes". America said "NO!"

What part of this equation do you not understand? We do not like you.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. SoPredictable

I said to myself before even opening the comments "Get ready for more Palin bashing." At least you self-righteous pompous dolt didn't let me down. If you want to call Sarah Palin stupid because of the way she worded the answer to a question, then call yourself a hypocrite unless you do the same thing to every other politician out there. There are plenty of examples of "mis-speaks" by both Obama and Biden – why don't you call them stupid? Oh yeah, because you're a hypocrite!

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. Tiger

First of all Palin is a joke, she's upset what the news media had to say about her and her family. Stay out of the lime light. You said you daughter was a kid, the one that had a baby. So why would you be marrying her off if she is just a kid. You have double standards that you want to fit your need. You are not qualitied for the job of President or Vice President of the United States. You can't even get it straight for your own family so do you think you can run a entire country. You are a fake. Get real Sara Palin.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Bill_ MA

She has some issues.

January 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Seth

Dear CNN: have you considered simply ceasing to report on what Sarah Palin says?

January 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. SGC

Well, its time for Rod Blagojevich to do some new dastardly deed so that Sarah can get knocked off of the front pages again. Impeachment can't come soon enough!

January 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Alex

You know CNN, just because this dunce opens her mouth to let sour grapes spill out does not mean you're obligated to cover it...

January 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Andrew

Caroline Kennedy is a highly inteligent woman, who happens to be a lawer, and has substantial global knowledge and adequate views. She understands politics to a far greater extent than "Bible Spice". Ms. Kennedy also has a coherent speech pattern, and does not suffer from a blabber sydrome. So Palin, is in no position to compare herself to this woman.

January 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66