January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. poof be gone

hahahaha that was funny "go away sarah.". she looks like a moose never mind her dressing a moose...

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Debi~california

So, let me get this right. Sarah Palin is blaming the media for her ignorance?

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. D

OMG!! What an idiot. Do you really wanna compare yourself to a Kennedy? They're educated. Remeber what that foriegn official said, You're more gorgeous in person and how presidential did she handle that. giggle giggle, smile, smile

Pres, VP, Gov or Mayor, Please she's an idiot

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  4. Nebraskan

Um....I thought she was upset that she couldn't do MORE interviews.....now she's upset that she didn't do LESS after screwing up with Coruic?

She does not want to take any accountability for herself.....

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. Minneapple gal

Im tired of her why dont she go back to Alaska and sit down and do her job

THis women should NEVER EVER get near the white house she would destroy the world and her appeal to racist rednecks she would have non whites back in slavery
    and women she would take away a womens right to CHOOSE

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. John

You can't exploit the willing, dahling.

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. Slider

It's cool, Gov. Palin; take your anger out on the media in 2012.

By the time the media is on the hook for doing the Mambo with Obambo the American people will have had enough of their treachery.

Disillusionment is already setting in with the core constituencies of the collectivists in this country.

Solzhenitsyn was so correct about our western press.

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. J Kirkbride

Oh, please...it didn't stop her from going on Saturday Night Live to play along with Tina Fey. And, obviously her handlers didn't coach her long enough before letting her be interviewed by Katie Couric..."What newspapers do you read?" Are you kidding me...she couldn't even lie anc come up with any titles. She needs to shut-up and stay in Alaska.

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Bill

How does this person continue to get press exposure? She is as dumb as a nail.

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. SG in SD

Bitter much?

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Daniel

Lets give Alaska to Russia so we don't have to deal with her anymore or worry about 2012!

January 8, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. CBC

This W I T C H has taken advantage of her 15 minutes of shame and capitolized more on it, than anyone else.

BEFORE this election NO ONE except those in Alaska, even knew who she was.

Go Ahead.....Make Our Day.....Bring Her Back in 2012 and you'll see the rest of America flock to our side.......the 'LIBERAL' side.

WE voted AGAINST Fear-Mongering Idiots like this.

13. Cheryl

I didn't think Sarah Palin was ready to be vice-president of the USA. I also didn't think George W. Bush was qualified to be President, and we are feeling the effects of his 8 years in office. Not good. I do, however, feel Obama is ready to lead this country in the right direction. He realizes he has to bring in the most qualified person for each job, and seems to be doing a good job. We all have to pray and help in our own way to bring back out country to the high standard it had. I think we have a good chance now.

14. Michael

And, Kennedy has been criticized by the media. She's been criticized for politicizing the process by expressing her desire to take the seat. She's been criticized for her early attempts to limit the questions from reporters. And she's been criticized for her sometimes less than eloquent answers to questions. Apparently, Sarah Palin doesn't understand government. She doesn't seem to understand that a Vice President can easily ascend to the presidency, who controls 1/3 of the three branches of government, where a single senator controls 1/100 of 1/2 of 1/3 of the three branches of government. The seeker of one office seems to require more scrutiny than the seeker of the other office.

15. Caroline Kennedy for NYS Senate

Poor Sarah, everyone but you is to blame because of your complete lack of intelligence and common sense, and your constant hunger for the limelight- both for you and your family. I beg you to continue campaigning for 2012.

Obama/Biden by an even biger landslide in 2012!!!

16. R.I.P rush

why is this waste of human life still making news?

17. Keith

sweet jebus, will this woman please disappear? She's dragging out her 15 minutes for an eternity and it's nauseating. Every time I turn around there's another headline with Palin this and Palin that. Enough!

18. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Oh, shutup!

19. Butch Dillon

The wicked witch of the north has spoken again, and one more time she has produced a couple of verbal gems and a dose of cheap attitude.

20. Kristen

As a woman, I wish Sarah Palin would fade back in to obscurity. As a Democrat, I want her to keep talking. Every interview she gives serves as validation for the choice America made on November 4.

21. Mike

NEWSFLASH! SNL has been lampooning politicians from their first season. Stop your whining and go away.

22. JR in PA

Didn't Palin criticize Hillary Clinton as a whiner for rightfully pointing out that she was being covered differently? The media covered Palin with timidity, not vigor. If she couldn't handle it, she most certainly couldn't handle that 3 AM phone call.

23. annoyed

Can this woman just go back to her day job and stop blaming everyone else for the fact she was a lousy candidate? The grizzly mama bear in me rises up when I see adults who seem unwilling to be gracious in defeat. (I voted for Obama, but applaud Sen McCain on this score). Good manners - traditional manners if you will - are something I'm fierce about trying to teach my kids. So I'm asking Gov. Palin, from one mother to another, to please go home and do the job she's actually paid to do with some dignity. Please quit your endless belly aching.

24. Jennifer

Get over yourseld Sarah. Keep on keepin on so CNN will keep in the news!

25. Scot

Hey Sarah, They exploited the idiot in you because you are an idiot.

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66