January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Palin Fan

I think all these attacks on Gov. Palin is very unfair! I think she has the decency and the courage that no other poltician has. If she runs for Prez in 2012, I'd vote for her. I think Palin would be the perfect Constitution Party Candidate after Chuck Baldwin! If she chooses to run for the Constitution Party ticket for 2012, she has my vote!

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. TheBeatles120

What an unpopular and despised woman in American Politics. Certainly it is the media fault we all are against her. Afterall, we don´t have minds of our own to make our decisions, we all just sit in front of the boob tube and listen to WHATEVER a comedian or respected journalist say...

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. Joe Chicago, IL

It just says we like to be entertained.
    Thanks, for your contribution, Palin baby!

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. JC

Everyone else is at fault, not poor mistreated Sarah. Boo, hoo. Maybe you came off so bad in your interviews because of...You!! And, what did Tina Fey do wrong-she just used your own words. It was funny because your statements were, and still are, idiotic. Bye, Bye-your 15 minutes are long gone.

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Debra

What do you expect from someone who took 5 colleges and 6 years to get a Journalism degree. No disrespect to Journalism majors but I've seen future brain surgeons turn out in less time! Please somebody stick her back under whatever rock McCain found her under! Ugh!!!

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Ivy Town

At least in other televised sports, the losers occasionally shoulder the blame themselves.
    First, we didn't know her.
    Then, we couldn't avoid her.
    Now, she won't shut up and go home.
    She is well on her way to becoming the Flava Flav of American politics.
    (That does not, for those who get the reference, make John McCain Chuck D.)

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. hippiechik

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration — that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

Oh, and YOUR NOT exploiting your 15 minutes of fame (which by the way has now expired already). Let me count the ways....shopping sprees, numerous post -campaign interviews, appearance on SNL, book deals, etc., etc. It's all a bit perplexing to me too!!!! Your name is in the news every other day and it's not even newsworthy!!!!!

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Dan Suizzo

Clearly, the fact that she is not ready for "Prime time" intellectually is accurate based on her behavior, conduct and performances to date.

Who does she think she is kidding?

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Julie

Sadly, it says more about our society that she was even nominated. Let's face it, Tina Fey is great but she didn't have to go out of her way to come up with the material. And how is it that it is the fault of the person interviewing you while you make stupid comments?

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. Cincinnatian

Very mature, Sarah. Go ahead and place the blame on others – afterall, you did nothing to contribute to the ridicule.

We love you because when you say things, it makes us cringe. When SNL turns it into a skit, it makes us laugh.

Maybe you should think about keeping quiet.

By the way...who's watching all the kids/grandkids???

January 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Lee

a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

haha! What comedians do is one thing, but a much greater statement "about our society" is made when a political party, like the Republicans, willingly and recklessly choose an ignorant dunce like Palin to be one heartbeat away from the presidency.

Their ruinous recklessness was unbelievable!
    (That is, of course, until you look at what they've done in starting the Iraq war and how they removed New Deal protections to our economy and then you see that they were reckless everywhere).

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. John in Ohio

What an ignorant cow.

Tina Fey would have been a better VP then Caribou Barbie. Heck, Katie Couric would have been a better VP. You betcha, fer sure.

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. Phil

WAKE UP LADY YOU ARE NOT IN CAROLINE KENNEDY'S LEAGUE. CAROLINE'S LITTLE FINGER IS MORE QUALIFIED TO HOLD OFFICE THAN YOUR WHOLE BODY IS.

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Edmontonian

Actually Palin, if: "some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration" then that means that you, your family, your administration were the ones doing the exploiting.

The only thing Palin ever does is botch things up. Now she's trying to blame Couric for what, asking a couple of relevant questions of the person who might become president?

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. shamous mc

A dingo ate my baby!

Somebody needs to crawl back under an icecube.

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Mike Congdon- Kansas City, MO

Do us all a favor Sarah, call 1-800-WAAAHHH.

You are such a whiner! The media treated you like a Vice Presidential candidate. If you can't handle the pressure, don't run for the office.

Katie's question about what papers you read was just that... What papers to do you read? Nothing more, nothing less.

Please SHUT UP! We are done with you!

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. MyEarsAreBleeding

This person is breathtakingly self-deluded. First she complains that the McCain camp would not allow her to "speak to the American people" by doing interviews, and now she's complaining that they should not have allowed her to do more segments of the Couric interview?? She sums it up perfectly with her projection, "…Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," . How dare she try to steal that role from you, Sarah!!! You you YOU are the center of everybody's universe.

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Curly@

How dare she compare herself to Caroline Kennedy? Caroline is no soccer mom fresh into politics.

January 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  19. Isidore Tamo

This is what happens when you apply for a job without knowing, the qualifications, the requirements and what your role will be. I do not blame her but John Mccain who thought he could foul the american people by just selecting any woman. Thank God, we proved him wrong.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. bob

sarah said she was "offended" when asked what materials she reads, which is absurd. i feel the question was perfect, asking the candidate to reflect on what she reads in order to form her opinions, thus exposing yourself to the american people, which will allow them to form an opinion about the candidate. unfortunately, palin was unable to tell us whether it was national review, the new yorker, or anything for that matter...the truth is that palin has formed her opinions from one piece of writing...THE BIBLE

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. Dusty

She would have appeared more intelligent if, well, she had been more intelligent.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Baze

This woman won't be happy until she is totally hated, and it's working.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. Leah from FL

Wow – this lady leaves me utterly speachless with the stuff that continually comes out of her mouth. If she thought the question of which publications she reads (and then for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines) was un-fair, one can only imagine what kind of questions she would consider appropriate to ask a potential VP – what brand of eyeline do you use?
    It's becoming more and more apparant that she is a diva. It's all about Sarah in her head. I can not stand this woman. She demonstrates how she got to the 'top' by playing cutsie pie. An insult to hard working, long suffering women. Gag, gag. Her statement “…Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe,” Palin added off-handedly – SPEAKS VOLUMES. How dare Katie upstage my act.
    Go away – Sarah, and shut your trap – please.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. Dave G

How is this news? How does this possibly affect me? On the national scene, Sarah Palin is history.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. Obama Wins!

What Katie and Tina did is not called "exploiting," Sarah.

It's called "exposing."

America simply saw the truth of who you are, and we were not at all impressed.

Sorry, but no amount of spin/whining/blaming/whitewashing is gonna change that now.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66