January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. John in Ohio

I guess Republicans are now the ones pushing a culture of victimhood.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Now she knows what the poor stars go through with the papparazzi....If she is going to stay in politics, she needs to toughen up a bit more..Life is hell sometimes, but she doesn't seem to be losing anything........

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Richard

Sarah Palin – Dumb as dirt.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. schmuckazoid

i think pallin is so dumb it makes me laugh every time.

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Rick

Why is she still news????? Just go away!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Haas

Palin, take credit for your own shortcomings. You said yes to being McCain's running mate without having any idea what you'd be in for. That's no one's fault but yours. OWN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Anonymous

The very fact that McCain even picked–and Repubs and millions of voters approved–someone as unqualified and politically ignorant as her "says a great deal about our society.” And "…Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly. Well, Ms. Palin the same can be applied to you with your pseudo-folksy sense of "mama grizzly."

8. Dale

Oh, boohoo.....grow a pair. If you can't take the heat as a result of being in the public, then you have no right to be there.

9. Joanie

Do the guests on SNL get paid for being on the show? I would imagine they do, and lets face it Palin was getting publicity. But now is the time for her to home and stay home, and be quiet. The sooner the press quits going after her, the quicker that will happen.

10. tim

well at least she didnt exploit the media by running for an office that she had no business running for solely based on her physical appearance...oh wait she did. And by the way, SNL is based on satirical representations of famous people, that's part of their job. That's why NBC pays them and why companies buy commercial time. Its called business, something else she doesn't know about. Regarding Couric, how could she not help raise her ratings- she only had 5 people watching her before...

11. ashlee

Oh, I wish this woman would get out of the main stream coverage. Stay in AK and keep your mouth shut!

Raise your kids, drive them all over the snow country in AK, like you did here in the lower 48!

Who takes care of these kids anyway?

We don't want to hear from you ever!

You proved to us how stupid you really are. Like others are saying, go back to school.

12. j williamson

Enough!

13. Dave in CA

Palin probably agreed to the interview because she expected softball questions. Then she was stumped when Couric asked her what newspapers and magazines she read and spouted some gibberish about reading everything.

She later said she read the Wall Street Journal and the Economist, but I guess the pressure of the Couric interview was so high that she couldn't remember that she read those publications or even that is would be a good idea to claim she did.

14. Michelle

If she felt such ill-will toward SNL and Fey, why did she happily go on their show?

Sounds to me like someone who is desperately trying to stop the end of their fifteen minutes from arriving.

15. CA Indie for Obama

why is anything she says considered "news", CNN?

16. Dorothy

17. Dylan from MN

I've said it many times before but it must be reinforced, Sarah Palin you insult my and millions of others intelligence. There is no left-wing, liberal media conspiracy out to get you, you're simply just an idiot. Plain and simple...

18. Dixie

Poor Palin, everybody is out to get her, please. Why can't she take ownership for her lack of knowledge, etc. She is blaming McCain's people and blaming Tina Fey and blaming Katie Couric, how about you look in the mirror. I am glad she won't be our VP, we don't need more people in the government that are perfect and nothing is ever their fault. And I think she needs to be less defensive, for example, Katie's questions about what newpaper she reads, that has nothing to do with you being from Alaska and you all must be dumb, it was just a simple curiosity question about where you like to get your information from, and you could not name one single newspaper, not even your own local one, GOOD LORD.

19. Robert -Philadelphia

The most ill prepared and light weight candidate other than the current out going one in the White House complains? Let's see, Katie asked her to name just one newspaper or magazine she reads and she could not do so!! Her husband who does not vote,sits in on government meetings and she is complaining about a comic sketch done of her? How about kicking your husband out of the meeting as no one elected him. This is a perfect example of how some republicans want to dumb America. If this is the best example of a future candidate for National Office, we will become the laughting stock of the world. This woman needs to go back to Alaska, crawl in her grizzly cave, believe whatever she wants and stay up in the north country. Not even name a newpaper!!! What a sad example of a state leader, an even worse example of a potential candidate.

20. Jamie

OMG I can't believe what a cry-baby Sarah is. She's the one who can't handle herself with....a reporter! Now in hindsight all her problems are everyone elses fault and if that wasn't bad enough she's trying to trash Carolyn Kennedy! I'm so glad this village idiot went back home.

21. CL in ME

If you are running for the vice presidency and possibly the presidency, then yes, you should be 'under a microscope.' Don't like the heat Ms. Palin...

I live in ME so does that mean I have a "Momma Moose" attitude?

Sarah, you asked for the attention, you got it.

22. John in Ohio

If the going gets tough, the "Tougher in Alaska" crowd throws in the towel and doesn't want to go for any more.

At least Nixon had the nads to keep talking to Frost.

January 8, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. Karrie

This woman comes up with an excuse for all her shortcomings except the obvious...she wasn't smart enough to be VP. I don't know how she got to be Governor of Alaska. It doesn't say much for the people in her state.

January 8, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. Spencer

If I was Sarah Palin I wouldn’t bring up Caroline Kennedy except in my dreams. Why would this so-called soccer mom who has about the most damaged family values I’ve ever heard about, an ignorant woman with grand ambition, want to remind us that Ms. Kennedy is an educated and articulate person from a very distinguished family. I hope the people of Alaska show this critter the door at the next election, but on second thought maybe letting her run again will just about wreck the wretched GOP. That would be worth waiting for. No, but seriously folks, can’t we just put her in the Brittany and Paris museum of bimbos?

January 8, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. Anonymous

get over it, Sarah!

January 8, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66