January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. pam Eugene OR

However is advising this woman to keep giving interviews should be shot! Enough already. She just makes it worse every time she opens her mouth. I am starting to feel really bad for her. She just does not have a clue and keeps feeding the press so they can humiliate her.
    It isn't even fun to pick on her anymore because I feel really sorry for her now. Why can't she just keep quiet for a while.

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. Helen

Why doesn't this woman go and live the with the moose? Can't she just get lost somewhere. Every time she says something it makes me sick. She opens her mouth and anyone with a little grain of sense realizes just how ignorant she is.

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. FL Independent

Sarah, don't go away mad, just go away!

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. OlgaLu

I wonder what's in people's soup these days that makes them hate Sarah Palin so much. It's true that she needs to work on her grammar (my native language is not english, and I do notice her particular way to talk) as well as general knowledge of the world around her; it's also true that she should have answered the question about the newspaper she reads (no matter how annoying or "flipping" was Ms. Couric's tone of voice was when asking the infamous question). True that she is not ready to be vp of this country; but to attack her daughter with the snl skit was really something else. Maybe if Bristol had decided to have an abortion supported by her mother, people would not attack her so viciously. I think deep down what bothers people about Sarah Palin is the fact that she is a woman of values and strong convictions, somebody that is not ashamed of saying that she believes in God and is even proud of her faith in Him. So, please just leave her alone and exercise some tolerance and respect for everybody that does not think like you. God bless America and the whole entire world!

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Ed Word

Your whole family is like a traveling soap opera, Sarah.

The Palin family photo album looks like central casing on the set of Deliverance.

Just go away – and take the Wasillabillies with you.

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. katheman

Funny.... I never heard anyone from the media go after Obama's family. Oh wait, that's right – he's a Democrat.

January 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. SA Lady

Sarah Palin, the gift that just keeps on giving, and giving and giving.............Enough already!!!!!

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Yolanda

And the saga continues......

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. WE NEED THE TRUTH

I'm so glad that she's where she's at and "Say it ain't so JOE" is where he's at.

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Ohnoes

Funny how she felt that way then went on to do SNL a few weeks later. Politics baby....Gotta love em.

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Christopher Robin Richardson

She makes us think... so I think that is good... I don't like her at all but this gives me the power to understand that in America we can have such things in our face and we still move on... Thanks Sarah for getting in my face...

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. alex

wow is all I can say, she is just mad that she blew her chance then the people turned on her after she saw she could not fool them into the vp?!?!?!?!?!?!

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Russ

Ah dear Sarah..... "the gift that keeps on giving!"

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. joe

i can't believe a person can be this dumb.......

January 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. joanne

I agree with Sarah- they should NOT of exploited her children. And that does speak volumes about our deteriorating society. Thank you, Sarah

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. GiroGeezer, Calif.

Ohhh, but it made for such great Reality TV!

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. DenverDan09

I hate that Palin is trying to compare her situation to that of Caroline Kennedy. First of all I would not expect there to be anywhere near the amount of media coverage and unless you are from New York chances are that you will not really care. Palin was running to be the second most powerful person in the Country, the "microscope" should be expected in that type of situation. I never saw McCain, Obama, or Biden complain about it. I believe the media involvement is a major part of gig and if you can't take it you have no business running in the first place.

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  18. Georgia Gal

Oh boo hoo, Sarah, cry me a friggin river.

Geez ... will you get over it ... and yourself already??

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. Shiloh WA

Shouldn't she be out skin'n some lovely animal that dared to live in her state! You, know- gun'in um down from a helecopter. Or... out watching baby Polar Bears drown when the ice melts (but not from global warming-off course) Or... out on a witchunt?

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Homer

Poor Sarah, you just don't get it do you. You just aint got it sweety, even with all of those winks and other gimicks you tried you are not what we need in Washington DC. As far as comparing yourself to Caroline Kennedy, don't go there, if you are smart you will leave that alone.

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. Paul

Hey, Sarah! You're right. Katie Couric is not the center of the universe. And guess what? NEITHER ARE YOU!

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. American for smart Amercicans.

If she can't take the heat, she better get out of the kitchen. The fact that she refers to Fey and Couric as exploitative shows her ignorance about our society she claims to know all along. Fey and Couric got so much attention as they were each in their own way capable of exposing Palin's stupidity in the first place. Period.

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. free

snl will get more viewers and laughs if this keeps up..... she's a few fries short of a happy meal.............

January 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. Anonymous

She does all the bad to herself! Soccer mom, Joe Six Pack the list goes on and NOW Grizzley Mom

January 8, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. Vern

Oh, cry me a river, Sarah. You weren't qualfied to be in the spot you were, then you used it to try and divide the nation with veiled racism and calling out soon-to-be president a terror lover.

And you want us to feel sorry for you because, with any public figure, someone used comedy to blast you? And Couric did nothing to you, nor did Charlie Gibson. They asked you questions that anyone with a shred of knowledge about this nation would have answered competently.

Stop you crying, and stay in Alaska and play granny.

January 8, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66