January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Elisabeth- Warminster

When I want Sarah's opinion I will give it to her.

2. Elvis Costanza

We can only hope that Governor Flailin' remains as thin-skinned, unsophisticated, and just plain immature as she is now, until at least 2012. This woman is NOT ready to lead anyone except the folks who are just as dumb as she is. What a whiner!

3. LMS

Governor Palin.......GO AWAY! You rolled out your kids on stage as props....you opened them up you IDIOT.

4. Gracis

Thank you John McCain for allowing Sarah into our Hearts and Homes

5. kathy scioscia

blah blah blah – whatever.

6. Stacy from Leesburg VA

She feels bad because she got the Turkey treatment from SNL...oh poor you!

7. G

Please CNN, don't waste your web pages. We already had enough of her....... Thanks

8. Moe

...too funny :-)

9. JayMo

Who is Sarah Palin?

10. Joe

The liberal media lampooned Sarah Palin, are any of you real losers the Governor of a State? I'm afraid to inform you that the Kennedy's, everyone of them are pretty stupid. Never has a family tried so hard to make their lives and those around them a disaster. Yet the press treats Caroline as though her crap is icecream. You should be happy your guy won the election. Now shut up so I can enjoy the show.

11. Paul Rocchetti

What a joke. Caroline Kennedy is not running for Vice President or a position where she could become President if the President dies.
    Although I do not think Caroline is experienced, I do not hear her saying that she believes that she could run the US gov't

12. Caitlin

Gosh, I thought this woman was just stupid! Now she's being just plain catty! I thought when she went back to Alaska no one would ever hear from her again. Does she really think this will help her chances in 2012?

13. Eric in SF

Last I heard Levi had skipped town and I don't know of anyone who's received a wedding invitation yet. Seems like the "two unwilling teenagers" comment might have hit a bit too close to home...

14. Nancy

Wow...as if the turkey slaughter interview wasn't enough to make her look like a complete idiot...

15. drahcir61

ALASKAN BREAKING NEWS – Female Grizzly Bears Furious Over Palin Comment!

"The mama grizzly rises up in me", Palin was heard saying.

Female grizzly bears across the State of Alaska are furious after being compared to such a nitwit.

16. DebM, Allentown, PA

I could truly go off the deep end contradicting everything that this narcissistic, unintelligent, rightwing nutjob said in this interview. However, just having lost a pet yesterday, I don't have the time or energy to waste on such a clueless nonentity.

I do, however, wish to thank all of the other "rabid liberals" as we're so lovingly referred to by Eric for the chuckles that they're providing me in my time of grief. Love you guys!

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. John

I think its idiotic to compare the media coverage between her and Caroline Kennedy. She wasn't running for junior senator, she was running as the vice-presidential candidate, who should, in a lurch must be capable of leading the country!

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Lobes

First she's a pig, then a pit bull, now a grizzly. Will Sarah Palin ever think of herself as a PERSON? It says a lot more about our society that she had a chance to be VP of the USA than anything Tina Fey or Katie Couric did. It's pathetic that, considering all of the hoopla surrounding her family and the fact that she clearly is not equipped to handle any job other than "hockey mom," she's still in the news on a regular basis.

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. joe

sarah was the only hope of the republican party, what a joke.

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  20. Susan in SC

The ONLY reason Palin's family was put in the spot light is because SHE put them there. She took the kids out of school and USED them as props.

She also did not seem to have a problem being IN a SNL skit – even after all of the spoofing. And honestly – the skit that recieved the widest play was the one of Tina using Palin's real words.

Palin was not ready for real politics. She has blamed everyone else – the McCain campaign, the RNC, the LIBERAL (gotcha) media, SNL, etc, etc. When will Sarah Palin stand up and take blame for NOT BEING READY, for having little knowledge of U.S. domestic affairs, of world affairs, of Constitutional law, of history .... ?

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. rich

Dear Ms Pitbul with lipstice: arent there any more moose left in Alaska that you can shoot? Look....you were your own worse enemy as each time your lips parted, you came off like a preety face with nothing behind it. Thanks God for Couric & Fey for saving this country from further disaster. They each deserve purple stars. Now run along and take care of Tripp and Trigg. Your lipstick has worn...run along

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. KC

It is so crazy how when someone fails they are so quick to blame it on someone else rather than looking at themselves. Sarah Palin can only blame herself for looking like an idiot in regards to the Couric interview. Katie Courtic is a reporter and it was Sarah's job to be prepared to answer the questions she was asked and she didnt seem prepared at all. As far as SNL it was hilarious and if Palin was so offended why did she go on and agree to do a skit with Fey? That doesnt make any sense. I hope that Palin has had her 15 mins and she will go back to Alaska and be the hockey mom she says she is. I hope that Alaskans will not vote her back in office.

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. obama-mama

Drew January 8th, 2009 3:29 pm ET

She still can't name a single newspaper or magazine she reads……
    _____________________________________________
    I'm sure she's read Cat in A Hat, Green Eggs & Ham. Even if she gave Katie those answers she may have allowed her to go to the next round....

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. suzy walsch

Way to go Sarah! You tell it like it is – what a bunch of crybabies talking back to you......Best wishes with all that you do in the future. You did women proud!!!

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Nawlins

She's' nothing but a freak side show -

January 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66