January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Army Vet

Wow. What harsh comments from such liberal minded elitists.

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Josie

I am a registered Republican and have been for 21 years. When John McCain picked Sarah Palin, I was sure surprised, had never heard of her. As the weeks went by and we "got to know" Sarah Palin, I was floored. Forget color of skin or gender, intelligence is how I pick my President. McCain is the MORON for picking Palin. She's still a moron, but she can't be blamed for losing the election. Mr. McCain, it was you who lost my vote and the election.

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Cheri

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Michael Kane

Republicans, you are stuck with this "Mama Grizzly". What does THAT say about your party?

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. paul (staunch Moderate)

Exploiting a "kid?" She's joking, right? If they are mature enough to be engaging in sexual activity resulting in pregnancy and planning a marriage, they are no longer "kids."

Palin needs to get down off the soapbox and stop talking from both sides of ther mouth.

And she says she will be interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be treated. Earth to Sarah Palin: Pick up a newspaper, a magazine, or watch some real news programs! Kennedy is being slammed 6 ways from Sunday and has been from (almost) the moment she announced her interest in the soon-to-be vacant Senate seat.

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. REAL-EYES

Did Obama cry while you were lying on him from city to city fabricating terrorist connections and race-baiting? Child grow up.

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. mk

Please PLEASE let this lady go back to Alaska and never be heard from again. She is complaining about being interviewed and scrutinized?? HELLO SARAH YOU WERE RUNNING FOR VICE PRESIDENT OF THE USA. Katie Couric could not have been any more nice or coddling. How would you ever deal with government policy if you are offended and unable to answer the 1st grade softball question "What do you read?" Laughable

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. jean in MN

As my mother would have said – when God was handing out brains, Sarah was in the "looks" line.

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Akinola - Houston

In what respect Sarah?

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Jerry - MD

Someone has to tell Sarah that she is Jerry Springer's stupid. She did not boost Couric's ratings nor Tina Fey's, she got exposed how dum she is and Alaskan dum she will be. Please go away!!

January 8, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Alan

Hmmm...let's see, dontcha' know. How can I get BACK into the spotlight, now that my 15 minutes of fame are up and the people of Alaska are starting to push hard that I do my job?

Maybe I could complain about how my 15 minutes went!

I agree with posters here who are pointing out this is Palin's and McCain's fault. Sarah Palin should never have "happened."

McCain and the Republican party were punished. Sadly, Sarah keeps blindly blathering along.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. Corey

Holy Hannah! If she really wanted to continue on in politics then she would learn.
    She's a piece of work.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Chris

HAHA, no, no, no, let her keep doing this. By being so ignorant, and doing all of these interviews, she is narrowing her chances of having a public office.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Randy, San Francisco

Palin is no longer funny...just pathetic.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Brad - California

Why Sarah... I thought you had wandered off into obscurity. My bad, I was mistaken.

You had MULTIPLE interview opportunities and you blew them all. And SNL, that's called satire hun, I don't believe that satire is meant to be an accurate depiction of life. It merely picks out the most noticeable features about an individual or group (in this case, you, your supposed experience, your lunacy, etc.) and expands on them to a ridiculous level.

Grow up, stop blaming others for your own shortcomings. Aside from yourself, there is really only one other idiot that you can squarely place the blame on, and that's Senator McCain, who should have retired off into the same obscurity years ago.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. Independent Dave, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Grizzly Mama? That ought to set all the Red Hats a-twitter.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. Jan

Ya know, if Palin would of been obama's vice pres selection this would be a different story.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Tom

She can't simultaneously cast her daughter as an adult who's getting married and starting a family and also a young child who should be considered off-limits to jokes and/or criticism.

This woman is great entertainment though, I'll give her that.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. JP

If she was not running for national office, then she would have an argument. I consider us lucky to have a media that "expoited" Palin for her true colors so we didn't end up with her in office.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Sarah Palin made herself a national figure, and a target for exploitation, when she accepted John McCain's offer to be his running mate. If she thinks this is bad, just wait and see what her Republican rivals say and do to her if she runs for President in 2012.

She made her family targets when she brought them into the campaign by bringing them onto the stage and speaking about them during the Republican National Convention. It was her choice to do this, so she should take the responsibility and stop whining. (If she thought her family would be left alone, especially after the GOP attacks on Michelle Obama, then she is either ignorant or terminally naive.)

If she can't stand the heat, then mama grizzly should go back into the cave and cook some mooseburgers for the family.

This isn't Alaska, this is politics.

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Kate, in the lower 48

Here's a big shoult out to ya, Sarah. You accepted your party's nomination, knowing that your teen daughter was pregnant. Did you really think that hiding her belly behind her baby brother's blanky was going to keep it from being known eventually? I feel bad for your daughter. I'm sure she wasn't expecting nation-wide publicity about her private life.

As to Katie's question about what you read....well, after hearing some of the answers you gave Charlie Gibson during that interview....a lot of us were wondering! It had nothing to do with the reading habits of Alaskans ....it was all about you.

I don't know if you plan to run again in 2012. However, if you do, you should consider doing some serious study of history, political science, and foreign relations; then stop abusing your power as governor of Alaska; and, finally, remember that an awful lot of people who could vote for you do not share your fundamentalist beliefs. Oh...and tone down the self pity. It's not attractive. Good luck to ya!

January 8, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Susan

So...Palin was so offended by Tina Fey, yet she showed up on SNL? Hmm...That's interesting.

January 8, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. Poor Levi

You can hide in Africa. She'll never find you there.

January 8, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Jacque Bauer

Why did my articulate comment get cut after "awaiting moderation". I think it contributed at least as much as "Boo Hoo" and "Waaaa". But, then again, those remarks are about as much as the typical CNN lib commenter can produce, or reader can absorb without being read to.

January 8, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. WCCH

Tina Fey received a great deal of attention because she portrayed Palin accurately. She portrayed you Sarah, complaining about her, your just criticizing yourself. All Couric did was ask the question, quit blaming her because you couldn't come up with intelligent answers. They exploited you? You were happy to exploit yourself, and continue to do so.

January 8, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66