January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Paul M

Um, all Katie Couric did was ask Palin simple questions. All Tina Fey did was bring to light how stupid Palin is.

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. Maria

By golly this lady is off her rocker. And I thought it was bad here in GA, but boy oh boy Alaska is looking scarier by the moment with her as the Governor.

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. susie

Couric was terrible when she started out in prime time. Maybe someone should remind her.

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Frog

For someone who claim to be a Christian and this kind of comments is unbelievable. And, to attack the 2 women that made an impact on her campaign is again unbelievable. Thank God, it was not in his plan to have her elected.

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. Lori

Caroline Kennedy isn't running for Vice President, only the people from New York will be affected by her campaign, not the entire nation (maybe someone should tell Ms. Palin what her office would actually have been and why we watched her stumble with such interest).

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. Patriot1013

Why does Palin care about that NY senate seat? New York isn't even in her "REAL" America is it?

I pray the GOP puts her on the ticket again in 2012!

January 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. Chuck

Dennis,

Obama has two a's, one o.

January 8, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

SARAH JUST HANG AROUND IN THE NEWS FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS AMD FIND YOURSELF A GOOD RUNNING MATE.

OBAMA WITH ALL HIS BROKEN PROMISES WILL BE EASY TO BEAT

9. GBlount

Big difference. Caroline Kennedy will not be a "heartbeat away" from being the leader of the free world if elected.

10. Levi Palin

Sarah Palin rockes. She got me 300 hundred thousands of dollars for my babies pictures. Who cares if she exployted mooses and Alaskaners and Neeman Marckus? It is still not right for Katee Cooric to exploit her dumbness. Please give me my GEDs.

11. Vic

Palin u exploited herself... so shut the hell up grizzly sarah... Couric was just doing her job... u know, asking follow up questions that made u look ignorant... Tina made u a star u iggmo. So, go kill another moose or whatever grizzly girl... and again, SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!

12. jane

I am an English teacher-but the process is a two-way street, and many are going the wrong way.

13. Lynn

I can't help but notice that Sarah Palin is so like George Bush–she can't string a complete sentence together and she says "nook-u-lar." Four more years of that would have driven me insane! Thank goodness we won't have to hear much more from her. I hope!!

14. Dana (Maryland)

McCain was unwise for picking Palin; Palin was unwise for agreeing.

15. chuck

SARAH PALIN ,YOU ARE NO CAROLINE KENNEDY SO DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO HER. YOU ARE NFG.YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE --–A RED NECK IDIOT THAT COULD BE USED EASILY AND WILL TAKE A BRIBE.

16. Joey

"a kid?" right maybe her daughter's not ready to be a mother or a wife.

17. Abodo

For Palin to say that “I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," That tells me she knew she was not fit for the VP position so she wanted the campaign to keep on shielding her. I can't believe some people voted for McCain because of Palin. All I can say is Thank You Lord.

18. Mldoyle

She IS a journalist by trade, right? So the one thing she actually had on the job experience with, she failed at doing. I'd say, if we can't expect exceptional performance from our vice president then who can we expect it from? She was never up to the task and John McCain displayed a complete lack of judgement by selecting her.

19. Rahn Hasbargen New Brighton, MN

I hope the journalistic "Palin Standard" of attacking family members applies to the new politicians in control in Washington. Obama children-consider yourself officially in the crosshairs.....

20. Ryan

Too bad the media didn't scrutinize George W Bush in 2000 like they did Sarah Palin in 2008. Just imagine what the world would be like today had that happened.

21. Robin

Proud American,

You are not FORCED to do anything. You don't want to read about Palin, go to the next article.

January 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Gail

They are capitalizing on your stupidity your ignorant witch.

Gawd, when will we be free of this ugly dog?
    I guess being stupid and ignorant is a way to keep your name in the news everyday. This moose is such an easy target.

January 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. Stew

Poor lady they are still using her.

January 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. queencersei

Kathman – Your comparison falls short. I don't recall Obama, Biden or McCain dragging their entire families, small children and quasi-fiances included, from one campaign stop to another, for weeks on end. That was Palin's ploy alone. If it blew up in her face she has only herself to thank.

January 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. Alex Camargo

She's got something to say about everyone who exposed her obvious draw-backs. Like a true politician, she blames everyone else for her mistakes and not herself.

She needs to get over herself; SNL makes fun of virtually every presidential and vice-presidential candidate. Why should she get special treatment? The parody of her stuck with people because it exposed her.

January 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66