January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. John Williams

Nobody has to go after her family....all you have to do is wait for her to open her yap....her family didn't make her look so dumb....gee Katie Couric is really tough......not! Wonder if Bill-O the clown had tried to grill her or that Nazi Hannity had gone local( instead of serving up
    softballs to her or providing her with the canned answers) on her what she might have said. She's dumb...she has a tremendous ego...and she can't help herself....blame it on her!!

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  2. Gail

katheman January 8th, 2009 4:00 pm ET

Funny…. I never heard anyone from the media go after Obama's family. Oh wait, that's right – he's a Democrat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I guess you missed Repugs FIXED news trashing Michelle Obama -

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Randy

Funny, I thought she watched that first skit with the sound off where they referenced marriage? This woman is one contradiction after another.
    If this is the future of the GOP then they have no future at all except sliding further in irrelevance as the country changes and they cling to the past.

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. RaeofSun

Palin made a fool of herself, all by herself. Now she wants to blame two prominent , successful, hardworking women for her demise? I guess it's good that women no longer feel they have to stick together to stick it to the old boys club....

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. Jay

Palin has a great deal of narcacissm.

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Bob- Levittown

It is amazing anyone even thinks this is a viable candidate. McCain and the GOP should be charged with treason for putting such an imcompetent person one heartbeat from the Presidency. Go away – never return to these lands!!

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. pickles

Funny, but seems that the only one who wasn't able to capitalize on Palin was McCain. She really is a nasty one.

January 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. badger

As stated by several, she is playing for attention but like a jealous and evil 12 year old spoiled brat, in my opinion. Her supporters are ruthless. I know. I live in Alaska. Follow the money, as the saying goes, and you find ugly malicious corruption in my opinion. She is a liar, in my opinion, and has mis-used state funds. She should be removed from the office of governor and perhaps arrested for breaking laws. Please check her record of performance. Enough has been said about her language style. Check the record of events. Never mind the image of goodness from her supporters. It is phony in my opinion.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Gail

Sarah Palin will be trashed by the "LOWER 48" for the rest of her life.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. YoureKiddingRight?

katheman: Didn't go after Obama's family? Even at the Republican convention, the silly twit from the view took a swipe at Michele when introducing Cindy Stepford McCain.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. chuck

SARAH EVEN IF YOU WERE TO CALL ME TO ALASKA FOR SOME TLC I WILL REFUSE IT. YOU ARE NO GOOD SO STAY ON THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Mike

I hear if you turn the lights off in the bathroom and say "Sarah Palin" three times she appears and then kills your political party.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. ben

Didn't she go on SNL herself and act side by side WITH Tina Fey? Please make her go away...

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Sharon

Wink! LOL. There you go again Sarah! We all know what you do in Alaska. You are killing off the environment and denying natives of their voting rights because you think that you know what is best. Go back and govern the 5,000 people in Alaska, kill a moose, make a cover for your grand baby, store some moose milk and make a shake. No one cares, no one cares about your feelings; you are a disgrace and I just wonder who taught you how to talk. By the way, did you donate those clothes back all $250,000 worth? How's your grandchild's other grandmother; did you bail her out of her methlab charges? What a joke. Clean up your own house before you come outside and condemn others. How's your ex-brother in law? Um!

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. patriot

Sarah–You've already given us the best present we could ask for, the defeat of the McCain candidacy. Now go away, you are of no further use to us.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. bethinNC

The "via" portion is soooo funny. Apparently she's exploiting herself based on what she said? LOL.

I don't think she was the victim of gotcha journalism. She's clearly not an intellectual, and out of her league when she's on the national stage. Hence the need to wink in order to play to your audience ;)

Eeek.

January 8, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. Brian

Double-Standard-

Who is the idiot...Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, or both?

Cut her a little slack...Anyone can be made to look foolish if that is the goal of the media, entertainment industry, etc....

Consider the following that got ZERO attention in MSM or entertainment:

GOV Palin (unlike Biden) knows the constitution and the role of the VP. GOV Palin (unlike Biden) knows the stock market crash occurred in 1929, Americans were not watching TV yet, and Herbert Hoover, not Roosevelt was President of the U.S. GOV Palin (unlike Biden) knows how many letters are in the word JOBS. GOV Palin (unlike "lunchbox Joe") knows better then to say words to the effect "Come join me for a beer at Katie's Restaurant in Wilmington, just as I do to talk to the locals about how they are doing, the economy, etc…" Ummm Turns out – Katie's Restaurant hasn't existed for 15 years. Nice try Joe…You almost had me convinced you were just one of the FELLAS who just so happens to be a Senator for as long as I have been alive.

69 million of you are about to get the government you deserve. God Bless America and come on 2012 get here quick.

I'm predicting golfball size hail and hurricane winds on january 20th in D.C.

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. nat

I'm sure Sarah knows all about not being able to stand the heat in the kitchen and what to do about it. Probably best all around if she really gets bummed out now and confines her future politics to Alaska where she can keep an eye on Russia

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  19. Ben

shooting a moose from a hellicopter and forcing two kids to get married is also quite telling of the way society is going...a society that idolizes plumbers (aka a man who doesn't pay taxes) and a theocrat with no morals (real morals like respecting the rights of everyone and not just fellow christians)

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Kathy

Is she REALLY thinking of being in action 2012? Not unless she learns something between now and then. What a pathetic person. Can't Alaska come up with someone with real brains???

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Fred

The only thing wrong with society is the fact that someone like Sarah Palin could almost be a heartbeat from the presidency.

It should be pointed out that she showcased her family wherever she went, told everyone how proud she was etc. etc. She made them public figures and then resented it when someone made a comment she didn't like. As they say on SNL: "Really!!!"

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. David

Senator McCain and his advisors used their best judgment in choosing Govenor Palin as his VP nominee. Governor Palin and the McCain campaign used all of their skill sets and best judgment to manage the media and their campaign and communicate their values. The voters responded. She ought to be proud of her choices, her interviews and her conduct throughout the campaign, as she obviously did her best. The SNL comment about her daughter and Mr. Johnson was a reflection of Governor Palin's values and the lessons she taught her daughter, in context of the Governor's political positions on gay marriage. National politics is a rough business.

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Howard Roark

It continues to amaze me how media outlets label conservatives, as in this article, "conservative John Ziegler" but they NEVER label liberals. Why doesn't it read "liberal Katie Couric?"

I'll be shocked if this is posted, or doesn't languish in, "your comments are awaiting moderation."

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. ligaya

It takes one to know one as a saying goes.
    People here saying Palin is an idiot are more of an idiot than the person they are criticizing. You point one finger to Palin and you in fact pointing 4 fingers to yourself. So who is more of an idiot you or Palin?

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. Laura

No, Sarah, honey. Look in the mirror. It's YOUR fault. Because of your unbridled political ambition, YOU threw your OWN family under the bus. Spend more time parenting, less time governing - for both the sake of your family and this country.

And for anyone who thinks I might be sexist: I would say the EXACT same thing if it were Todd or any other man running for office.

January 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66