January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. SUE IN CT

Sarah, you can't hold a candle to Tina, Katie, or Caroline. You've had your moment of fame. Good-bye.

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. JPUpton

@katheman:

Do you not remember the accusations that Michelle Obama had to endure with regards to her patriotism, or that she was an 'angry black woman'?

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Pete from Austin Tx.

Oh please, she looked like an idiot. One of the skits were word for word what Palin said. As for Couric, what question was out of line? Sheesh. Thank God that she and McCain didn't get in.

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Phil

I don't remember seeing the restraints on Palin when she appeared with Couric, so it must have been Sarah's choice to be 'exploited.' Palin might have had a case with Tina Fey and SNL until she appeared herself (as many other readers noted.) Could be SP is ticked off because she tried to exploit the opportunities and she couldn't cut it. As a democrat, I hope that she hangs around until after I die, because the republicans won't have a chance as long as she is front and center as their golden girl.

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. ligaya

And here' s from a noted psychologist. and I quote ,"the reason why some people hate a person is because that person can see oneself in that another person like a mirror image. For people to hate Palin according to this psychologist is because some people can see a mirror image of themeselves in Palin.

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Brian

Wow... school must have let out early.

I continue to be amazed at how many people can hate someone they don't even know. I guess it says a lot about the haters.

January 8, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Here we go again..

As the weeks go on and Sarah Palin tries harder and harder to be seen, we see that she is becoming more and more petty.

She is acting like a tabloid celebrity now instead of a leader, lashing out at the media on a regular basis.

Week by week, she gives validity to her own narrow mindedness.

8. Eric Johnson

I think you should be entitled to voice your opinion ONLY if you have achieved more in your life than Palin.

9. M.W.

Intersesting – seeing as those she appeared on SNL. As did John McCain. I guess she's exploiting herself too?

10. Pete

Tina Fey won an Emmy for creating TV's best comedy before anyone had even heard of Sarah Palin. Who exploited who?

11. Tom

Puhlease CNN...

No more from or about this nitwit woman!

12. Rob

OK Sarah grizzly bear Momma,hockey Mom,whatever. You really don't get it. That's the scary part. Fine. Just go away now, you've had enough of an undeserved spotlight. Your 15 minutes are up...SEEYA.

13. P Hill

This public servant called Sarah Palin need to be serving the public like shes being paid to do! Go the Hell back to Alaska and stay there. I want to forget about you ever existing! Pig with Lipstick!!!

14. Sherry

Palin needs to get a grip! She seems intent on blaming everyone else for her inept performance in the campaign, BUT herself. Sad how she and Joe the Plumber have kicked to the curb, all of those who brought them to the forefront and allowed them to enjoy or not, their notoriety. Book deals, job offers . . . how soon they forget how they got to this point. When Palin fails to hear her name mentioned in the media, not surprising, she suddenly pops up with an accusation or poor Sarah line to gain more media attention.

15. barb

Sarah,

You should have declined McCain's offer to run with him. When McCain took you on, so did the rest of the country. Literally.

16. Who Cares

"I am now forced to read and hear what this Idiot has to say for the rest of my life."

Who's more the idiot, the idiot, or the the idiot reader who can't manage to click a different link?

17. P. Lewis James

This reaction, and playing the blame game speaks volumes about Sara Palin's readiness to be major player on the national political scene. She was and is not ready. How she ever became governor of Alaska is beyond me. We should fall on our knees every night to give thanks that this woman did not become Vice President of the United States !

18. Jennifer

All you people who hate Sarah Palin are nothing but sheeple to the liberal media.

19. John W

Didn't this lunatic actually appear on SNL alongside Tina Fey, now she is attacking her! Typical Republican hypocrisy.

20. Sweetlandoliberty

Tina Fey can be excused because she is a comedian, and her impression of Palin, while sometimes insulting, was at times very good.

Katie Couric is another story. She was pathetic. When interviewing Palin, she thought she was a school-marm. When interviewing Obama, she batted her eyes like a stupid little school girl.

I no longer watch her as a newsanchor. She is just too embarrasing.

21. Turd Blossom

Like Bush, another "misunderstood, self-pitying Republican whiner/idiot.

22. Bradley

At the Republican Convention when Sarah handed off that baby to another member of the family who in turn handed it to another I thought that package instead might have been the Stanley Cup

That is hockey for those who do not know.

23. Joan: Burlington, VT

Sarah Palin has hit the nail on the head. Caroline is a Kennedy - (a very lax voting Kennedy - she just can't be bothered to vote). (Obama owes the Kennedys big time - so the word has gone out –New York will be stuck with Caroline!!

24. Eric

Way to point blame at everyone but yourself "says a great deal about our society" – 'you betcha'

25. Hillary

-If she's so much of a kid then she shouldn't be gettin' married and havin' a baby. If she's old enough to be getting married and having babies she's old enough to be the punch line of an SNL skit.

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66