January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. probama in paradise

She might have been offended about the "unwilling teenagers" part but it was HILARIOUS!

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Toney

SNL – So No Laughs!!!! ahahahahahahahahaha!

I like Tina Fey, but to make a comment about Palin's daughter's situation at that time is in poor taste. Tina is a female (I think) and should have been sympathetic to Bristol's (Sara's daughter) situation.

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. llinmpls

Poor poor dear, don'cha know that YOU did poorly in the interview – not McCain?? It was McCains bad judgement that put you there in the first place. Maybe Momma Grizzly should be working for the State of Alaska abstinence program and worrying about meth use instead of taking pot shots at comediennes and news anchors. Don'cha know that figureheads for the aristocracy look like fools when they go after the court jesters?

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. butter_art

Along with her obvious, well publicized foolishness, her religious beliefs re-enforce her abject stupidity. Watch the youtube video – I can't believe people considered her a viable candidate after seeing it and learning she is Pentecostal.

In my view, Pentecostalism looniness is right up there with Mormonism and Scientology. I'm surprised Sarah didn't fall down and speak in tongues during one of her many well-publicized gaffs – it would have given her more credibility, or at least provided an excuse.

Oh yeah, she's "not Pentecostal", even though she's attended a Pentecostal church for years. Having your religion not influence your judgement is like saying you didn't inhale when the doobie came your way...

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. totally neutral

Hey, Ms. Palin-
    Go Join Joe 'not the plumber' in Israel and help him be Joe 'not the journalist'. Your 15 minutes of fame are up, nothing is gonna bring em back.

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. Harry

If she was unattractive would anyone still be talking to her or about her?

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Matt

Wow...your moderators truly are amazing CNN...I see the word "DOUCHEBAG" like 3 times today, but you won't print the by-now somewhat cliche joke template about "every time you [insert something like 'print a Palin story'], god kills a kitten." Impressive.

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. mel

i've heard plenty of criticism about kennedy – but she is not running for vp as was palin – of course palin was scrutinized more – why is palin complaining – now her daughter gets to sell the baby picture for money – who's exploiting their own children

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Ms. Serevi

Seems like someone doesnt want their 15 minutes to go without a fight. I would rather vote for Tina Fey than Ms. Shootem up! Thank God Obama won!

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Jeff

Not sure why none of my other attempts to post made it through the moderator. None were worse than what I have already seen posted. Perhaps I should take a slam at Palin, then it might get through

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. Susan

did not McCain also try to exploit her?

Poor woman but I don't have any sympathy for her.

January 8, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Melissa

I would point the governor to the excellent op ed piece in the New York Times by Dick Cavett entitled "The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla". I

That should help her clear any confusion that lingers in what little cognitive space remains in her cerebrum.

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. jay

Way to go Sarah...give 'em heck.

I've never seen such a group of poor winners....the left wing of the Dem party is pathetic.

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. Connie

Good grief Sarah! How easily you forget YOU are the one who paraded your underage, unwed, pregnant daughter on stage making her international news. YOU are the one who keeps doing interviews and posting news releases about Bristol and Levi on your official website. YOU are the one once again whining about them to the media.

As far as Tina Fey goes, she is a talented comedian. If you paid any attention you would have realized all political candidates from the recent election were parodied.

Katie Couric is a journalist who handled you with kid gloves; YOU were the one who could not provide answers for some very easy questions. YOU were the one who was unprepared for the interviews. Look in the mirror Sarah and you will find the root of all your problems. Stop the whining it’s your own fault.

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Oh, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, you're the George Bush of hockey moms. Now, it looks like the phrase has to change to "lipstick on a 'grizzly bear.'"

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. chelle

Seriously, she is an idiot. If she was truly concerned about her daughter being picked on, she would have allowed Bristol to go back to Alaska and not stump around America. The reason the SNL comment was such funny satire was because of Mrs. Palin's belief in the notion that just say no works with teenage hormones. So if they don't use birth control, no abortion, then no single motherhood, that kind of only leaves unwilling teenagers to be forced into marriage. That's why it was funny – not because Bristol was pregnant.

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Kenny

Exploitation...? The SNL skit mocking the Couric interview used direct quotes from the real interview... Tina Fey merely repeated what you said, and it happened to be really funny

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. Wedgie

I suppose when you get up on the stump and look stupid, talk stupid and hope nobody notices that you are stupid, you set yourself up for attacks. I thought there was a thing in the US that protected free speech.

Fey's job was to lampoon you! Couric's was to interview you. You provided a royal flush of comedic material and were lucky you didn't have to speak directly to other journalists once the world knew how unprepared and silly you looked.

Goodbye already.

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. free

Hey, the real GENIUS of this mess is JOHN MCCAIN....

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. CC

What makes me want to read her interviews!!!! They make my blood boil because I don't understand a word she is saying - perhaps it's the challenge!

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Reg

This lady is the gift that keeps on giving! Crying about her
    "twelve week campaign"! She exploited herself by taking
    the offer to be VP of The United States.

What a Maroon! As Bugs would say!

January 8, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. obama-mama

katheman January 8th, 2009 4:00 pm ET

Funny…. I never heard anyone from the media go after Obama's family. Oh wait, that's right – he's a Democrat.
    __________________________________________________
    Because he doesn't make a fool out of himself and his family

January 8, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. christo

Why does she always compare herself to an animal? Seems like she is an animal and has a lot of hate inside her, and abuse of power is a scary thing. I think we will see her make more mistakes as she tries to make herself look like a possible contender in the future. But all americans just want her to go away . We are over her and her family. who cares what they do in alaska, its so cold there her brain cells are dying. She only wants a political job so she can get the hell out of alaska

January 8, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. Palin-tology

…Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe like I am, without the liberal media filter, my profound stupidity, or the fact I ain't got no good grammer here, would have never been an issue....

January 8, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. Anonymous

DUMB, DUMBER, DUMBEST

January 8, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66