January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. opy in canada

I feel so sorry for the Palin children and now grandchildren. Palin seems to be able to procreate but her brain function and selfishness will not allow her to be a mother. Children need guidance and daily care as the rest of us know but unfortunately Palin cannot seem to grasp that concept.

I guess that she is too much of a child herself. Lord help the U.S.A. if she ever runs again for office whether federal or state again. Her immaturity keeps running rampant. She should get an education before she thrusts herself on the public again.

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. JJ, Wash,DC

You and Joe the plumber have had your 15 minutes of fame-
    IT'S OVER- stay in the" state across from Russia" and kill another turkey. . LOL

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. Barryisasocialist

Palin
    You are what this country needed. You (or Romney) will crush the newly elected messiah of the poor people in 2012.

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. stater75

On the day Sarah Palin was announced as the candidate for VP, I said she's shallow and vindictive and not right for the ticket. I thought she would turn against McCain in an instant to satisfy her own agenda. Her statements now are shallow and vindictive. Who would've known? Instead of encouraging the media to treat future politicians in a more respectable manner, she would rather go the "it's not fair, pick on them too" route.

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Danish Princess

Just shut up and go away, you have nothing more to say that anyone cares to hear. She just can't leave the spotlight!!! Where's the hook to pull her off the stage??? What a narcissist!!!

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. shay

How is it that Palin wants to compare herself to Caroline Kennedy?

Palin is not even close to being a match up with Caroline Kennedy.

January 8, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Kennedy isn't being vetted for a VP spot, whether she's qualified or not, the media's treatment will be (and should be) different.

Palin benefitted from the media frenzy as she arrived on the scene, just as the Republican campaign wanted and desperately needed at the time. As time progressed, the media coverage turned sour, but it was a natural course of things from her interviews, history and details about her life (which DO become pertinent as a VP candidate). The media buzz about her and newcomer status was initially a positive, so turnabout is fair play as far as I'm concerned. Palin seems to say that decisions in the campaign were made without her input; doesn't that reflect poorly on her managerial skills?

Very little media is totally unbalanced, but Palin could have picked and chosen her battles better.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. college of no knowledge

Wasn't Palin a journalism major at those 5 schools she attended? How come she didn't know how to handle the press? Oh, yeah – that was covered in all those things...you know...hard covers, full of words...books, I think they're called.

I'd pity Alaskans, but they voted for her. Thank god the rest of us didn't. Down here in unreal America.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. Is she kidding

Caroline Kennedy is gunning to be the junior Senator from New York, not the next in line to be President of the United States. Does Sarah Palin really not see the appropriate difference in scrutiny applied?

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Who Cares

I don't know about the rest of the brie-eating, chardonnay-swilling liberals, or the snide media elite, but I for one pray fervently that SP will be the Republican nominee in '12. I will even contribute to her primary campaign.

Republicans will think this is simply common sense and good judgment.

Democrats will think so too, but for entirely different reasons.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Carol

OMG, will this idiot EVER go away? Or, at least, admit her mistakes instead of trying to blame everyone else?

She's blaming SNL for making a joke of the teenage daughter? Palin is the one who was willing to throw her kids under the bus get ahead. She brought the poor girl into the spotlight and made a spectacle of the pregnancy – not SNL. Then she dragged that poor little baby, Twig, Twit, whatever his name is ... around like he was a ragdoll.

Then she blames Katie Couric for asking her questions that she's too dumb to answer.

Boy, this babe's a piece of work. Or a piece of something.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. Morgan

katheman – maybe you were too busy listening to the Obama is a muslim, pals with terrorist, made illegal deals with Resko, and has a wife that is not proud of her country. Oops that last one was his family wasn't it?

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Martha

Sarah.....go away. We don't like you over here....stay over there.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Ed

I love how this strong woman makes the heads of democrates explode.

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Rosanne

Ms Gov Palin is very good at handing the blame off to everyone else. She was a poor candidate and we all know that. How she is handling the aftermath is another example of how smart she is NOT!!!! She pulled that entire family up on stage, put them in the national spotlight – and expected to get applause for that???? Alaska is where you belong, Gov. Palin - stay there and be well.
    Rosanne Cohn, REdmond WA

January 8, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Paul , St. Louis MO

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. KateN

So it's the "liberal media" and those "hostile to real Americans" fault that SNL just had to take some of her answers word for word to get the maximum laugh? Is it their fault she couldn't name one Supreme Court case other than Roe V Wade that she disagreed with – heck just talk about the eminent domain one that the entire country disagrees with (Kelso???).

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Bigmaneric97

If you don't like what she has to say then don't listen and don't read. Shut yourself off to opposing views and live in your own little world. I don't agree with out President-Elect, but I listen to try and understand his point of view. As Americans we all have a right to free speech. We have the right express our opinions. Under the Fairness Doctrine that Obama wants to put in place the liberals will get what they and never have to hear from conservitives again. Or opposing liberals either.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Holly

Caroline Kennedy could never be compared to Sarah Palin because Caroline thinks it is important to be well read and informed about the issues concerning NY, America and the World. To the person who thinks Caroline Kennedy lives primarily in Colorado I'd like to inform you she has been a permanent resident of NY for most of her life when she moved there as a little girl with her mother and brother after her father was killed. When it seemed for a short while that people were being influenced by Sarah Palin I found it hard to sleep at night fearing she could possibly be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. jane

wa – wa – wa get a life sarah the fact that you don't have a clue is what killed the election for the best gop presidential candidate our party could have hoped for

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. JimS.

Tina Fey and Katie Couric both deserve the Presidential Medal of Freedom award for meritorious service to America.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Kim

Didn't seem to bother her so much that it kept her from going on SNL. Guess that makes her exploited...AND a hypocrite.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Unshrub

It's hard to imagine that Palin can sound and act dumber than she did during the campaign, but she again has managed to surprise everyone with her stupidity.

The only people dumber than her or Joe the Plumber are those who think she would be a good President.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Jackie

Thanks Sarah for validating my choice.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Mary

The media was very unfair to Gov. Palin!!! Let's see if the media will report Obama screw ups?

If I were Sarah Palin – I would have been a momma bear back when all this crap was happening. I am sorry but Couric and Fey are worthless and they used Gov. Palin to rise. I did not care for Couric or Fey before Gov. Palin and I care LESS for them now!!!

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66