January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Boytjie

She is never wrong, its always someone else's fault...

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. dearlizzie

"Mama Grizzly?" Please don't justify your obsessively injured ego, Sarah Palin, by confusing a criticism of you for your insane ideology as an attack on young adults whose lives you have influenced in a profoundly negative way - take both young people's failure to complete high school and Levi's recent failure to retain the job for which he did not qualify precisely because of his lack of a high school diploma (uncompleted correspondence GED's a re a poor substitute). You are a self-absirbed disgrace, Palin.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. MARY

Mrs. Plain, because your ratings have gone down, don't try to take everyone else down with you.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Sparky

The only item that was exploted regarding Sara Palin was her lack of inteligence. Otherwise, she can serves ice cream at a DQ with minimal instructions and a 30 day probationary period...

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Joe

Puhleeze. Sarah Palin is exploiting herself, milking everything she can out of her 15 seconds of fame. Go away, already.

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Peggy

Sarah Palin hanging around with in-laws that sells drugs?

WoW!!!!

January 8, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Ron

As the saying goes, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen – or in her case – the candidacy for vice president. How much more pathetic can it get?

8. Gil

Does this woman know anything about the real world? Alaska! She makes me wonder if we should have added it as a state?

9. I love you, Palin

A bitter, vindictive, resentful woman! How charming! YOU are who we need in office, my dear. The beautiful gift of empathy and wisdom you courageously display should be magnified to a national level!

That way, if anyone dares offend *us* and *ours* (gasp!), we can righteously charge into a meaningless war! Egoism! Patriotism! Rah rah rah! Lead the charge, mama grizzly!

10. Susie

It just amazes me that she has the time to stay in the limelight in any way possible. What's wrong with getting on with the business of Alaska? If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

11. yota

Fey and Couric are part of the same media the parade Spears, Modanna, etc. and thier problems in in front of us daily as people we should look up to. And we are a country in crisis, go figure. Palin 2012 is looking good right about now.

12. scott

Typical conservative rant...blame the "liberal media" for every ill in the world. And as for protecting her kids, they became fair game for satire when she dragged them out on stage at every campaign stop.

13. Who Cares

"It is pathetic that she blames the media for her inefficiencies."

Dude, you need to stop relying so much on a thesaurus. You come off sounding about as erudite as a mad lib.

14. Pat W

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah...insinuating that the rest of us could be swayed by Tina and Katie? Shame on you. Tina was hilarious, and we should all be able to laugh at ourselves. Katie did her job as well. Blaming others because you were inept and incapable of doing your job...their audiences were not stupid. You lost.

15. jennifer

Well bless her heart, has she only just woken up to the fact that putting her clueless self on the world stage made her fodder for comedians?

16. Jackson

Well, she can always sue for definition of character :-)

Funny how, at the time, she said she got a kick out of Tina's impersonation. Now that she lost the election, suddenly, she feels exploited. Boo hoo!

17. Billy Alaska

Neither Tina Fey nor Katie Couric marched those kids across the national stage. Sarah Palin did.

18. Michael

I think one of the hallmarks of a true leader (which Ms. Palin is not) is the ability to see one's own shortcomings and actually coming up with a plan to overcome them in a meaningful way and lead by example.......as opposed to just saying, "Oh, those people were being mean to me!" I'm not sure that Ms. Palin really understands that her conduct (including the socialist/terrorist/race-baiting stuff) made her look as dumb as a box of rocks......she didn't need any media help for that. I would have a lot more respect for her if she just said that she screwed up royally and is undergoing therapy.

19. Scott

I wish that this twit would shut up. I cannot believe that with all the issues in the world, she is focusing on a comedian and a reporter. Get me in front of a camera and I will set her and her idiot friends straight about what is important to 90% of the world.

20. rush

Sarah,
    you have no one to blame but yourself. your amazing level of ignorance really showed in your interviews. We are all extremely lucky that you didn't become vp..you are dangerously unqualified for that position....

21. Harold

How anyone supported the Dittoheads in this country can criticize Tina Fey's routine is beyond me. Their treatment of Chelsea Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and their "Barack the Magic Negro" goes beyond anything to which Ms. Palin or her family was subjected.

If she's really serious about what she says, let her first disown Rush Limbaugh, all his ilk, and every FOX fan! Otherwise, I suggest the press leave her to her 15 minutes of fame and just ignore the hypocrite.

22. DIZIZI31

Sarah,
    Always playing the "blame" game. No accountability and you wanted to be 2nd in command.

January 8, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Shelly Stone

I have heard Palin say that McCain's campaign should have let her have more control. Like "if I had run the thing"....
    She STILL does not realize that she is a joke. She is the joke.
    She didn't make Tina Fey...Tina was already a star on SNL and 30Rock was soaring because of Fey.
    And as for Couric, I would think Katie would say she was not made popular by Palin.
    Good lord, Sarah has some "look at how wonderful I am" issues...

January 8, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. SKF

whine, whine, whine...

January 8, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. Dave in Houston

I love you, Sarah!!! Please stay in the limelight. I just can't keep my eyes off of you. Any news day with a Sarah Palin story is just a delight.

I am a lifelong Democrat and a proud supporter of Barack Obama. He is what exactly the person we need to lead our country at this time, but you, Sarah, are just so gosh-darned entertaining that I hope you can stretch your fifteen minutes for a long, long time.

January 8, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66