January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Nate

John McCains really insulted the american public with this choice

2. Kim, Ohio

Palin hurt herself by putting her daughter in the spot light. She knew she was pregnant and decided to be a VP candidate. She dragged her kids around on the campaign trail. Her youngest daughter was photographed sticking up her middle finger. The entire family is bad news. If we elect a trashy family like that, American standards would bo down the drain. Are they related to the Spears family? She has made herself look like a horrible mother. I feel sorry for her because she clearly does not get it. Give it a rest Sarah. Lay low for about 10 years.

3. K'leen M

I have always liked and respected John McCain but I cannot yet find it in me to forgive him for what he was willing to do to America in order to become the President of America. The most cynical, blind, selfish, decision of his entire brilliant career.

America, we dodged a bullet....Mrs Palin...do please stop letting us see more of the real you, not just the "mismanaged by others" you who already scared the beegeebers out of us...It just reminds us of how close a call we just had.

And yes.. of course, I am one of "your" not "real Americans". Or did someone else mismanage you into saying that filthy little sentence repeatedly?

4. chris

Will she EVER go away?

5. Inutah

Will we ever stop hearing from this woman......nothing she says has any merit or makes any sense.....it seems her and her family are the ones that make a statement about the road she percieves our society to be headed down.....

6. Christina

Hey Sarah, why not cry about it just a little bit more. You like to claim that you're a pitbull in lipstick, but you whine just like a little girl.

If you decide you want to put yourself back out there in 2012, you really need to grow thicker skin.

7. Steve

I believe her point about magazines and newspapers is that if she didn't read the "right" ones, she'd be pilloried. Which she would have been.

Regarding Kennedy/Palin comparisons...
    If Paiin is a lightweight (and she is), then Kennedy is a lightweight as well (and she is...)

I'm a Repub and Palin was a piss-poor pick. Solely designed to get the far-right excited about the ticket. Of course it came at the expense of moderate voters. McCain's overall campaign just sucked... I was pretty pumped about McCain and Obama being in the election – finally two people I respect. And no Bush or Clinton! Then McCain runs the worst campaign since Dukakis. Putz.\

8. Bill

Excuse me, but why is it Katie Couric's fault that Palin couldn't think of a single publication she reads on a daily basis? Even if that was a "gotcha question," which is laughable, how hard would it have been to name the Anchorage paper and the Washington TImes?! If she's so offended by Tina Fey, why did she go on SNL AFTER Fey made the joke about the marriage of two unwilling teenagers? Way to stand up for your principles, Governor. The fact that she's still in the news and that she's blaming everyone else for her failures also says a great deal about our society.

9. Leila

It took her how many months for this to sink in and react to it? Mama grizzly, go back to beating your chest in Alaska.

10. Maya Lawrence

UGH! Doesn't this "woman" know when to go away? The reason why Tina Fey was so successful was because Sarah Palin was such an easy joke! Be gone, Sarah!

11. SeattleRick

Sarah, you're a hottie!! 44 yrs old with 5 kids – WOW!! But please, you are clueless but I actually do like you simply because of the humor you provided to us a couple months ago. But I would suggest maybe you should spend more time with your family. Uhmmmm......a teenage daughter who got pregnant at what, 17 yrs of age? An infant with some challenges – your baby needs you!!! There is nothing stronger than an infant's bond with the Mother and only you can provide that. Go take care of your family, first and foremost.

And your political views are so polarizing it's nauseating....please how about some moderation from the Republican Party someday?!!

12. James

Like it or not, but if Katie Couric interviews Caroline Kennedy, she will be given the same softball questions the press has given Obama.

13. Chas

She was exploited because she could not answer a simple question like what news papers she reads , give me a break , I still can`t believe their still posting news about her , but I guess since she`s the saviour of the RNC we`ll read about it untl 2012..............................

14. Unshrub

It's hard to imagine that Palin can sound and act dumber than she did during the campaign, but she again has managed to surprise everyone with her stupidity.

15. E.

She is one of the main reasons McCain was not elected.

16. AJ

Reading the posts on this site from conservatives only underscores the fact that their IQ hovers somewhere around room temperature…

17. AK

She exploited herself when she appeared on SNL...obviously forgot to mention that.

18. Texan for Progression

Hey...I thought Pit Bulls snarled, not whined. Maybe it's the lipstick.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. ABC

Looking forward to media asking Caroline Kennedy same questions asked Ms. Palin, with the same intent. Hopefully, Ms. Palin will watch and learn how capable Ms. Kennedy is at answering what newspapers she reads; her thoughts on the Bush doctrine, etc. Bring it on!

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. Maya Lawrence

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. lola

Oh Sarah, also the fact that you were even on a ticket says a great deal about out country, doesn't it?!

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Jane (Minnesota)

It's never her fault!!! Amazing!!! I would hope your 15 minutes of fame were over by now but you keep disappointing everyone & reappear.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Mel

Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration — that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

Either you know or you don't know.

2008's Worst Interviewee

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Karinc-c

Ya know, I'll bet a cookie that if a well-known comedian had mocked Obama and gotten named "entertainer of the year," Palin wouldn't have found a thing wrong with that. And then if Obama had complained, I'll bet another cookie that she would have gone on record as saying where was his sense of humor, etc., etc.

This is absolutely typical of conservatives: if someone laughs at them, it's "exploitation" or something equally awful. If someone laughs at a liberal, the conservatives think that's just fine and that anyone who protests is being whiney or has no sense of humor.

Get over it, Ms. Palin. You're an idiot of the lowest common denominator, which is why McCain put you on the ticket– to capture the idiot vote.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. John, Wheaton, MN

Palin only has herself to blame in regards to her self-destruction. It scares me to think that a state would elect someone like HER to be their governor. She may try to put out some snappy linesand bring out the "mama grizzly" to appear tough. Palin comes across as a buffoon. C'mon, Alaskans. . .surely there is someone more capable of running your state–isn't there?

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66