January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Rolling in the Aisles, VA

What a shallow, pathetic excuse for a human being. Truly shameless!
    Maybe if she wasn't such a smug, self righteous, ant-intellectual troll she wouldn't have become an international punchline.
    She put her kids in a spotlight, dragged them around as props for her insatiable hubris, and then is angry that some people questioned her parenting skills and wisdom as a role model, let alone as the person to be a heartbeat away from the presidency?
    Incredible, arrogant hypocrisy.
    No wonder the GOP is scrambling to get her out of the spotlight she craves so much. Sarah will be the death of the Republican Party. And they only have themselves to blame.
    She shouldn't be allowed to raise goldfish.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Bill

Excuse me, but why is it Katie Couric's fault that Palin couldn't think of a single publication she reads on a daily basis? Even if that was a "gotcha question," which is laughable, how hard would it have been to name the Anchorage paper and the Washington TImes?! If she's so offended by Tina Fey, why did she go on SNL AFTER Fey made the joke about the marriage of two unwilling teenagers? Way to stand up for your principles, Governor. The fact that she's still in the news and that she's blaming everyone else for her failures also says a great deal about our society.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. Dan

You people are uncivilized and barbaric. Palin never did anything to you yet she and her family are being viciously attacked. It's unbelievable.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  4. Mel

Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration — that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

Either you know or you don't know.

2008's Worst Interviewee

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Brian Finch

If Palin feels that Tina Fey was exploiting her on SNL, then why did Palin go on SNL and do a sketch with Fey?? Palin = hypocrite.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Waiting for the change....

I am surprised Palin continues to be interviewed. I don't believe she is the future of the GOP party...but she does make valid points and obviously responding to someone asking her the questions.

As a mom, I did not appreciate the line by Fey regarding her daughter and believe it crossed a line of disrespect...what we Americans are so good at doing to one another. Talk about hypocrisy coming from a script writer in Hollywood, where conception without marriage is the norm!

Waiting for the change that was promised....waiting for people in our country to be a little more tolerant and respectful of others with different views. Gosh...based on many of your comments, we are not even close to real change....

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Karen

This woman will DO ANYTHING to make sure she gets Press. And by the way – it is her OWN FAULT she became a joke – she should never have been a Vice Presidential Candidate in the first place she is so obviously unprepared based upon her inability to exchange coherent dialog!

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. philo7433@hotmail.com

Ironic that the majority of those who left comments here are women. What is even more ironic is that most of the women leaving comments here are progressive liberal feminists. You should all be proud of Sarah Palin, yet you are the first ones crying out "go home, where you belong, with your children!!" Guess who are the morons? Morons

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. deana

She is so pathetic. McCain pretty much guaranteed a loss when he brought her on board. I hope she goes away and never returns to the public eye.

January 8, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. Seriously

True idiots never shut up... Keep digging your political future's grave... and stop showing off your family if you are protective of them...

11. E.

She is one of the main reasons McCain was not elected.

12. Maya Lawrence

UGH! Doesn't this woman know when to go away? The reason why Tina Fey was so successful was because Sarah Palin was such an easy joke! Be gone, Sarah!

13. Matt in OK

Like John Stewart said, Palin is manna from heaven. She gives us something to laugh about while simultaneously accelerating the flow of Democrats into office. Thanks Sarah!

14. Bill

15. Texan for Progression

Hey...I thought Pit Bulls snarled, not whined. Maybe it's the lipstick.

16. Chris

Sarah put herself in that position by her awkward comments and inability to communicate knowledgable discourse about world topics. You better bring it next time Sarah!!!

17. A

Hey katheman....none of the of them have done anything STUPID

18. MARY

Mrs. Plain, your ratings are down. Don't try to blame anyone else for your shortcomings. You lost, you failed, you have some work to do with your children and I would think you would want that to be private. SHUT UP!!!!!!

19. katinpuyallup

I disagree with most of these posts. I want Palin front and center. She is the great hope for the GOP – and the Dems.

20. John Kirkland

Mockery is a compliment. I would be highly insulted if no one ever intimated me or that I could do them. Get a GRIP Grizzy Woman and keep your views shut. very Bitter and especially to the man who selected you!

21. Christina

Hey Sarah, why not cry about it just a little bit more. You like to claim that you're a pitbull in lipstick, but you whine just like a little girl.

If you decide you want to put yourself back out there in 2012, you really need to grow thicker skin.

22. Steve

I believe her point about magazines and newspapers is that if she didn't read the "right" ones, she'd be pilloried. Which she would have been.

Regarding Kennedy/Palin comparisons...
    If Paiin is a lightweight (and she is), then Kennedy is a lightweight as well (and she is...)

I'm a Repub and Palin was a piss-poor pick. Solely designed to get the far-right excited about the ticket. Of course it came at the expense of moderate voters. McCain's overall campaign just sucked... I was pretty pumped about McCain and Obama being in the election – finally two people I respect. And no Bush or Clinton! Then McCain runs the worst campaign since Dukakis. Putz.\

23. Anonymous

i am tremendously pleased that Amrica did not fall for what i term the Palin Ploy. I luv America and would have been truly disheartened had we voted for this empty siren.

24. Bill

25. SeattleRick

Sarah, you're a hottie!! 44 yrs old with 5 kids – WOW!! But please, you are clueless but I actually do like you simply because of the humor you provided to us a couple months ago. But I would suggest maybe you should spend more time with your family. Uhmmmm......a teenage daughter who got pregnant at what, 17 yrs of age? An infant with some challenges – your baby needs you!!! There is nothing stronger than an infant's bond with the Mother and only you can provide that. Go take care of your family, first and foremost.

And your political views are so polarizing it's nauseating....please how about some moderation from the Republican Party someday?!!

January 8, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66