January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Jackson

Matt in VA January 8th, 2009 3:32 pm ET

Palin's question about how C. Kennedy will be treated has already been asked and answered. Kennedy avoids the press and when she does speak she comes across as someone who doesn't have an organized thought in her head. Her only credential for being suggested is her name. It is obvious that Palin's critics were made uo of hate filled liberals who do not have an objective bone in them. BTW. I thought Kennedy lived in some posh sector of Colorado; is it true she could see the NY senate seat from there? How many homes does she own anyway?

Oh how I love using liberal standards in responding to these issues.
    __________

Fine Matt, let's be objective about Sarah. She dragged her kids along to events to which they were not invited, then manipulated the reimbursement forms to claim their travel was part of the event, when it wasn't. So, she is spending State money on unnecessary travel for her kids. She misues her power to try and get a family member's spouse fired. Now, let's look at her kids. While Sarah is allegedly pregnant, she pulls her daughter out of school for 5 months. Why? (we won't get into the "to cover her daughters first pregnancy" debate right now)....so, the daughter is out of school for five months, and now that she is pregnant this time, she is, what, dropping out of school? Where exactly are these "family values" that conservatives shove down our throat? I sure don't see them in Sarah.

If you ask Caroline what newspapers she reads, I bet her answer would be a lot more intelligent and informative than "all of them". If Caroline were asked her opinion on Supreme Court decisions, as a Columbia Law School graduate, you can bet she would have a better answer than "I will have to get back to you on that".

So, you want to talk objectively, start discussing some of that!

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Jim- Chicago

What confuses me is that she chose to go on SNL, it would have been more powerful if she would have attacked SNL and Tina Fey when she was running. Yes, they took advantage of her, but as a politician she tried to take the advantage back. and use them. Any of us with life experience know that life is a two way road, they took advantage of her and she tried to do the same.

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. ????

the new GOP- big government, tax and spend socialism . and the conservative sheep still cry and point fingers at the supposed double standards, while hypocrites like Palin continue to demonstrate the dishonesty and deceitfulness of their own socially conservative preachings. get your own house in order or else shut your mouths- isn't that what you are supposed to stand for?? or are neo-cons now simply the party of whiners

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Chris

If you want to be in a public position, you have to be able to stand public scrutiny!!!!

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Kel

I just think its great that her appearance on SNL was several weeks after the skit which was offended her..... apparently it didn't bother her that much when she thought she might win.

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Denise

"But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

Well Sarah....maybe your "kid" should not involve helself in ADULT actions. All actions have CONSEQUENCES, in your daugher's case a pregnancy! Go forward with the abstinance only preaching and lets see where that will get you in the future.

If you have a problem with the media, then me thinks that you should have kept your "kids" away from the limelight and center stage. You put them out there to be used and abused. YOU DID THAT, NO ONE ELSE. Get over it.

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. johnrj08

I agree with Craig Kasnoff here. Empty-headed, overly ambitious politicians seeking to live out the 'Peter Principle' are a dime a dozen in this country. The guilty party is John McCain, who foisted this international joke on the United States, making this country's election process a joke around the world. If it hadn't been Tina Fey or Katie Couric, it would have been someone else. Fools have a way of exposing themselves.

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Ms. White

When is the next election in Alaska? Will she run is the question...poor people ...hope they wake up

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. Jennifer

Palin brought it on herself. I think she represented women poorly. I also agree her English teachers didn't do a very good job! The relief I feel because she did not win is too large to express!

January 8, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. Cheryl

SARAH, PLEASE GET OVER YOURSELF!!! SNL wouldn't have any material if you weren't such an idiot! On the other hand, I sure hope the so called conservatives that have contributed to our country's mess endorse you in 2012. It will be a sure win for Obama.

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. Florida Joe

Sarah..You put your kids out front, you opened your month and your dumb thoughts spilled out
    You have no one to blame but your own stupidity.........
    JUST GO AWAY.........PLEASE

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Chris

It just appears that many conservative people, whom fail in their endeavours, tend to blame others. If one is not capable of playing ball with the likes of Katie Couric, I doubt their viability as even a middle school teacher, much less a political leader

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. Elaine

Palin will go away when we stop reading about her and writing comments. Oh, wait! I'm doing it, too! Palinitis, what virulent disease.

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. kim w

Poof...BEGONE woman!

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. P. Y.

Hate ! Yes, many people feel hate towards this woman and I really think it is understandable. Just go back to how she was trying to drum up hate towards Barack Obama in her speeches. She told one lie after another and tried to capitalize on her lies by " hoodwinking " the American people. Thank God that there were enough American people who knew better.

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Praaaaaaa!

I have to addmit that I look for her stories... she cracks me up!
    Please cnn do not stop posting stories about her... I think she is funnier than Fey to tel lu teh truth...

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. Once you vote Black

I saw that interview. She said she does not like blogger giving hard news yet McCain only knew her because of a blogger who mentioned her. Said she does not like people wanting only to talk about the mean sprit of political topics yet she talked about Obama paling around with terrorist. Said that she told her handlers that it made no sense to do more interviews because they did not go well, yet said that they lost because she did not do enough interviews. I am trying to be objective but she does not seem to know what she is talking about, or does not know how to express her point.

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. lovin' obama/biden '08

Why won't she just crawl back into her cave and go away????

January 8, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. Steve

A Palin-Blogokvetch 'unity ticket' in 2012 seems more likely every day.

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Gimmebone, IL

Who is Palin anyway? oh wait a minute: is she the one who said something about pigs with lipstick or something? Who cares anyway. It is puzzling to see her in the news light after that shameful defeat of MCcain. I hope that one of those days we will hear some news about more important figures such as Britney and Paris Hilton.

Peace,

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  21. PatC

SO it is fair game to attack Obama's wife and children now? That is what you bloggers are saying so I say game own.

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  22. Robert

Is it Couric's or Fey's fault that the "mama grizzly" went ill prepared into the lion's den of federal politics and got her nose bitten?

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  23. bhogan

I kinda thought Mrs. Palin's silence while folks shouted "terrorist" and "kill him" sorta said something about our society.

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. Mell

Good for you Sarah! Set 'em straight. The fact that people laughed and defended jokes, lies and half-truths aimed at your family and children DOES say a lot about who we are as a society.

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  25. Lissa

It's just a shame that Sarah Palin is unable to examine her own behaviors and to learn from them. Since the election she seems to be on a real roll of blaming everyone else for her poor showing. It's interesting that she thinks that Caroline Kennedy was offered up for a potential comparison: Caroline Kennedy has a law degree and has written 2 books. I'm pretty sure that she would be able to list some papers and magazines that she reads.

January 8, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66