January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Jeff

Why does the media keep reporting on her? And why do I keep reading it? Oh yeah...it's some of the funniest stuff on the web. T

he only thing her candidacy says about our culture is that anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, is possible here in America when a complete knucklehead like her can come as close as she did to getting the keys to the car. Just think the material Fey and company would have to work with if she did make it into the White House.

2. Rod

She also exploited her time in the limelight, why else are people suggesting that she run for President in 2012? Why is she still doing interviews now that her 15 minutes have expired? As far as the SNL skit mocking her daughter, I empathize with her anger about that, even though I thought it was funny. Bottom line is, don't prosletyze about family values, and then declare that your child's premarital sex is off limits. It's called hypocrisy.

3. dona

The contest is over! You lost!!! Get over it. If you hope to have any future, you will go back to Alaska and stop putting yourself out there to be criticized. If I got criticized every time I opened my mouth, I might began to look inward and tell myself...."Maybe I am as dumb as they say.....I think I will go read something......anything....." Just go away!

4. laura

Yeah we will see how diffferent they treat Caroline. After all they will be dealing with a bright, educated, well inform person ... unlike oooh I don't know hhmmm Sarah Palin? ;op

5. Wow

Thank you John McCain for allowing Sarah into our Hearts and Homes

6. Kathie

Has anyone noticed if Sarah has returned her $150,000 wardrobe to the RNC so they can donate them to charity as they promised?

7. Julian

Oh please. The woman is an idiot.

8. Don

If anything, Tina Fey helped this moron. I wish Palin would just fade away. 'Mama Grizzly'? Seriously? The worthless dribble that leaves this woman's mouth each time she speaks is astounding. Thank God most women are a hell of a lot more respectable than this one!

9. Robin

I guess she just realized that people were laughing at her during the interviews. Reminds me of a kid sitting in the corner with their hands over their ears saying stop making fun of me.

10. Pittsburgher

If Palin doesn't like American society she should go join her husband in the Alaska Independence Party.

11. PJ

If all you Obamabots hate her so much why did you bother to open the link to this story and comment on her... You got your Chosen One, now have fun with your rotten Dems, Blago, Emanuel, Richardson, Reid, Burris, Obama, and on and on and on. He's not even in office yet and the Right is laughing their behinds off.

12. Craig in Seattle

Come on Sarah.. stop feelin the sour grapes.. you'll get your chance to lose again in 2012.

13. Patricia T.

What will it take to make this utterly-unqualified-for-public-life woman just go away?! Why does she keep giving interviews which only further illustrate how ill-prepared she is to speak to ANY issue?

And as for what she reads . . . Sarah, that's a question people ask each other a lot. As in, "Oh, where did you read that?" Nothing offensive there. Unless the answer shows vividly you don't read much of anything, at all, ever.

Please, Gov. Palin, stop inflicting yourself on us. I would think that even some of your one-time supporters could finally admit how woefully uninformed and incurious you are. And, deep down, maybe they're glad we don't have to deal with you anymore. If you are the future of the Republican party (after eight years of W), then we Democrats are going to be OK for quite a while.

So, what the heck, keep giving interviews!

14. Melissa B ~ California

"Caribou Barbie" just cannot seem to avoid the media spotlight. I wonder if she keeps one eye winking while the other scans the Alaskan wilderness for the lastest kill with her hunting rifle, or it pans the area for a news camera so she can let that big tonque-wagging mouth of hers open up in her quasi North Dakota / Canadian accent, where she can voice her lastest opinions and complaints–just to keep America honest. Sorry Sister Sarah, don't need 'cha and don't wish to hear 'ya, gosh darn it. Have we have enough of you as a lone voice crying in the Alaskan wilderness, YOU BETCHA!

15. ynot

Can't wait to hear she's leaving her husband and running off with Joe the plummber

16. nic, bellingham wa

What exactly does it say about our society? That we enjoy comedy?

17. shawn

How dare Couric expose Governor Palin's complete lack of ability to be our President! Oh wait, she was just doing her job. And by the way, the Tina Fey joke about Palin's daughter and future son in-law was a joke at her expense, not theirs. If she does intend to run for Prez in four years, and she doesn't want a repeat of the Couric interviews and the Fey impressions, she needs to hit the books big time. Put down the rifle and open up a newspaper!

18. Sheryl in Virginia

She just can't keep herself out of the news, can she. Many thanks tho for ensuring that Barack Obama is our next president. For that, I must thank her. Couldn't have done it without you, babe.

19. Charles Wehland

Maybe the next time Palin accepts a job she will be a little more prepared to do it and thus not appear to be so stupid.

20. Brian

Can be pregnant, get married, be 18, but not fodder for jokes? Perhaps a mother would think of protecting her child BEFORE accepting the nomination. It isn't obvious that a conservative candidate with a pregnant teenage daughter would seem ironic to anyone? Nah, vetting candidates and worrying about children only sounds good. The practcalities are just too time consuming. Enjoy the view of the White House from 3000 miles.

21. popeye

I thought she was a pit bull with lipstick, now she's a mama grizzly. Sounds like an identity crisis.

Ooooooooo boy, I wish she's just go away...... don't ya know!

22. Beca

Nancy, you wish she was an idiot! You know better that she is NOT!

23. obie

Sarah,

You are no Caroline Kennedy. Put you might be as good as Dan Quayle the last VP candidate compared to a Kennedy.

24. Jake

I think Palin is right about our society. We have become a society that thrives on dirt, cruelty, and the demeaning of anyone that is different. I wonder what the IQ's are of the posters on here compared to Palin's IQ. I doubt if any of those people that call her a idiot have an IQ scoring much above 90. Anyway, now we are left with a President Obama that instead of cutting government spending is wanting to increase spending 1.2 Trillion dollars just in the first year. Wonder how our economy is going to get better when the idiot has already said he has no plan to reduce the deficit. Bush increased spending by 1.1 Trillion over 8 years.
    Way to go dumbocrats for letting the media and a comedy show choose who you vote for. I feel that our society is just getting dumber and dumber with Liberals leading the way.

25. Wristtwister

Don't worry about SPalin... she's a big girl and can take care of herself. Worry about the country... it's about to be run by our new Jughead with no accomplishments and nothing going for him but Clinton admin 3... Be afraid... be very afraid...

January 8, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66