January 8th, 2009

Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.
Palin had tough words for Fey and Couric.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is credited with making Tina Fey a world-wide star and boosting Katie Couric's ratings at CBS.

But in a recent interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said both "exploited" her twelve-week candidacy - a fact, she said, that "says a great deal about our society.”

Fey's widely-applauded portrayal of the Alaska governor boosted SNL's ratings, while Couric’s audience grew after a series of interviews during which Palin now-famously faltered.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen," Palin said in the interview. "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration - that’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor was particularly upset with an SNL skit during which Fey's version of Palin said, "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

The line was a clear reference to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol and her fiancé Levi Johnston. The two announced shortly before the GOP convention that they were expecting a baby and had plans to marry.

"The mama grizzly rises up in me, hearing things like that," she said of a skit. "Here again, cool, fine come attack me. But when you make a suggestion like that that attacks a kid, it kills me."

In the wide-ranging interview, Palin also faulted the McCain campaign for agreeing to a series of sit-downs with Couric after the first one appeared to go so poorly.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that," she said. "And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more…going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

During one of those follow-up interviews, Palin took heat for appearing to be unable to name the newspapers or magazines she reads: "Um of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years," was the Alaska governor's response.

In the interview with Ziegler, Palin called that answer "too flippant" and suggested the question itself offended her.

“To me the question was more along the lines of, ‘Do you read, what do you guys do up there, what is it that you read?’”

"...Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe," Palin added off-handedly.

Palin, who has long criticized media coverage of her campaign performance, also said she is interested to see if reporters are equally tough on Caroline Kennedy as she pursues the appointment to the likely-vacant Senate seat in New York.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled, and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” she said.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here, also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be," she also said.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,634 Responses)
  1. Diana Ewing NJ

I want to know when they are going to look into the builders that built her home before getting the contract for the Sports Arena that put the city in debt when she was Mayor....?????? Press fall asleep or something???

2. Dirty Joe

It's heartening that 95% of the comments on here rightfully blast Palin for her incomentence and ignorance. To the other 5% of you out there- you sound just as dumb, maybe dumber than "Mama Grizzly" herself, which explains a lot about why you look up to her.

Palin didn't seem to have a problem with Fey or SNL when she went on the show to shamelessly plug herself. And the main reason Palin looked dumb in the Couric interviews is simple: because Palin is dumb. How could any half-intelligent person so badly misconstrue a simple question about what she reads?

3. JackSprat

wait...you mean that if you portray yourself as a folksy, home-spun rube people will make fun of you?!?!?! No way!!!

4. Repub

Just took a quick break from my JOB and noticed how much free time all you dems have to sit and blast Sarah Palin for being a strong, successful woman. I don't see any of you sticking your neck out there to try to make our world a better place. Maybe you should get a job, a hobby or just a life!

5. Houston, TX

No, Sarah, sweetie–YOU'RE not the center of everybody's universe, no matter what you keep telling yourself. Keep your language of stupidity to yourself.

6. Shawn

Alaska's corrupt Evita is truly a moron.

She is a worldwide joke, and it ain't because of Fey or Couric...it's 100% because of herself and her disastrous "performance" in the campaign.

She should just go away if she doesn't like the feedback.

7. dominck salemi

On behalf of educated and sober-minded Virginians, I'd like to apologize for Matt.

8. Jesse

I can't believe so many of you are filled with so much hate towards a great american. Wait, I can believe it... I'm on cnn's website.

9. Julie Waterbury

Poor, poor Sarah.

10. elliott

Palin in 2012!!!!! Go Sarah!! The Dems are so scared of you, you must be doing something right.

"When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that barks the loudest is the one that got hit."

Hope you Dems enjoy your savior.........It's going to be bitter-sweet when I have to say "I told you so". WAKE UP LIBERALS

January 8, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. SOMEONE PLEASE THROW ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES @ GW!!!

Tina Fey would make a better veepee candidate than Sarah Pain-Lin!!!

Enuff said, already!!!!!

12. Anonymous

Yeah, only democrats go after family .. RIGHT! Wasn't it Obama who said family was off limits? How about all the crap that Chelsea Clinton took for years and years .. Clintons were obv dems? Obama's kids are young anyways – what are you going to crack on a 10 year old for other than when they're going thru their awkward phase like Chelsea had to suffer thru. You didn't see the media taking swings at any of Palin's other kids, just the one who was KNOCKED UP IN HIGH SCHOOL! Come on, it's perfect hypocrisy ... a freakin' evangelist, creationist believing right winged conservative, who gets appointed to run for vp .. whose daughter ends up preggo at the ripe old age of 17. And we can't take a swing at that being a tad bit hypocritical? Give me a break.
    Palin's such a joke .. thank goodness we don't have to even think about her running anything other than Alaska.

13. andrea

Sarah Palin put herself willingly into all the situations and she was not prepared. She can blame everyone else but she is the one in charge of her life and her words.

14. Dan S.

People actually still care what this lady has to say?

15. Tate

She is still more qualified than Obama, did you hear that guy try and read a telepromter today on the economy. He is so clueless about economics, it was like he was trying to translate Greek. Scary to think I guy who could not get a job at my firm is now president.

16. Carolyn, Langley Ok

Oh, Sarah give us a break. You could not hold a candle to Carolyn Kennedy. She is well educated and know what is going on in the world. And you spent a long time just getting through school with a journalism degree....... yes, please give me a break.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. Dani

She is not a disgrace to strong, working women. You are Jen.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. Todd C

Let me get this straight. An ex beauty pagent contestant who took 6 years (and 4 colleges) to complete a 4 year degree in journalism is complaining she was "exploited" by the media. Please stay in Alaska Sarah, the lower 48 is too competative and complex for your brain power.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. John, Columbus, Ohio

Palin herself showed up on SNL. It seems a bit disingenuous to now condemn Fey.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Caramon

She's blamed everyone but herself. And a liar.. she said a few months ago she was not upset. And when you accept public jobs, your family is also public. Go across the street to Russia and live.. (she can see it from Alaska remember) She bores me.. I pray President Obama gets 2 terms and Chelse Clinton runs against Palins sorry behind!!!!! :) You can quote me..

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. Gloria, El Paso ,TX

Why dig at Fey & Couric now ,months after the fact. Oh PLEASEEEE!
    GO AWAY PALIN. Tie her up to a tree in Wasila and let the hunted animals become hunters and come after her .Perhaps this is the only we will be rid of this Wasila hillbilly. Nobody is talking about ,oops! maybe
    not ,maybe only the people from Wasila. Poor folks, knowing that the whole world is laughing at their town idiot.......... Go Away Palin!!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. love2succeed

Oh and by the way – they did go after Obama's family – (reading is fundabmental) so this has nothing to do with democrat versus republican. Palin got on national TV and dragged her business across the stage... When Palin was asked what is her international experience. I still can not believe she said "Russia is in my backyard." What a complete idiot! China is in my china cabinet – so I am qualified to be President.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. sharka

she is once again... not smart.. how many more?

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. Floridafish

Lets see. She jumps into the fire and then gets mad when it burns her. Makes sense in the alternate universe the republicans live in I suppose.

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  25. Dear Sarah...

Shut up!

January 8, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66